Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I want the Jetsons noise.

Also the ability to turn everything off.
I wonder if Universal Studios (the current copyright holder) would license it to Ford?

Sponsored

Reactions: pb3

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq electric, Renault Twizy
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
did the Ford Model T had the option to simulate Horse pop?
In my Ioniq part of my start sequence is to disable the VESS (virtual engine sound system), I only enable it when necessary. I only hear it with open windows, but I hate it. you don't need it to get into a race with an ice, ice car are no challenge at the lights.

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Agree. This sounds like a growing pain of an attempt to appease the tastes of multiple audiences. Imagine I’ll switch and keep the fake noise option turned off.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree. This sounds like a growing pain of an attempt to appease the tastes of multiple audiences. Imagine I’ll switch and keep the fake noise option turned off.
You’d be surprised how disconcerting a change in noise can be. I think the artificial noise has a purpose beyond driving enjoyment for some. Specifically it aids them in determining just how their vehicle is responding to accelerator inputs. It’ll be a bit of a learning curve before people are truly comfortable with a “quiet” car.

But the low speed pedestrian/bicyclist alert sound? Here to stay.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You’d be surprised how disconcerting a change in noise can be. I think the artificial noise has a purpose beyond driving enjoyment for some. Specifically it aids them in determining just how their vehicle is responding to accelerator inputs. It’ll be a bit of a learning curve before people are truly comfortable with a “quiet” car.

But the low speed pedestrian/bicyclist alert sound? Here to stay.
Perhaps, on the Bolt "turning off" the pedestrian alert is a simple fuse pull that disables an external speaker (it also disables a small "chirp" when you use the keyfob to lock/unlock the car).

It is possible Ford will also do something similar where the only function on that fuse is the pedestrian alert... ?‍♂

(Not here to argue if someone should do it or not just pointing out the fact.)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, of course they could. Here in the 50th state though we have annual mandatory vehicle safety inspections. Seatbelts, headlights, brake lights, high beams, horn, and the pedestrian safety sound on EV's. Fail the test and you can't register your vehicle. I suppose some could just disconnect and reconnect for the test but that seems a bit too much to remember once you made the disconnection a year earlier.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, of course they could. Here in the 50th state though we have annual mandatory vehicle safety inspections. Seatbelts, headlights, brake lights, high beams, horn, and the pedestrian safety sound on EV's. Fail the test and you can't register your vehicle. I suppose some could just disconnect and reconnect for the test but that seems a bit too much to remember once you made the disconnection a year earlier.
That's what checklists are for. That's what the VW guys said, right?

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Ford isn't the only company adding engine sound. Seems unnecessary and unwanted. I bet it won't be long and it will be a discontinued feature in subsequent model years.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford isn't the only company adding engine sound. Seems unnecessary and unwanted. I bet it won't be long and it will be a discontinued feature in subsequent model years.
On a BEV? Yeah, I think once people learn the acceleration/torque characteristics of their car they might want to switch it off. On an ICE vehicle, they help drivers gauge acceleration somewhat better and properly done they blend seamlessly.

Personally I'm looking for a quiet car. I'll have the sound on in the MME, of course, when it's new upon occasion for the novelty effect but beyond that? Off.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I don't care about any external sounds. There is no law here in Puerto Rico that requires cars to make noises, anyway. We have plenty of noise going on as it is. I will not add to it. If I cannot turn it off under the options menu, I will find the way to remove or disable the sound source.

If the deaf cannot hear the car, how do I warn them? Will strobes and flashers become the next items required by law?

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't care about any external sounds. There is no law here in Puerto Rico that requires cars to make noises, anyway. We have plenty of noise going on as it is. I will not add to it. If I cannot turn it off under the options menu, I will find the way to remove or disable the sound source.

If the deaf cannot hear the car, how do I warn them? Will strobes and flashers become the next items required by law?
Its a law in the United States, The EU, and the UK. Whether you like it or not is entirely irrelevant.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Its a law in the United States, The EU, and the UK. Whether you like it or not is entirely irrelevant.
It is relevant to me because I am in a territory with different vehicle laws, and that specific "law" you mention doesn't apply to us. So, until a change in our law (22) happens and requires such noisemakers, I can disable it. I know that the few EVs here ( including Teslas) make no noise.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is relevant to me because I am in a territory with different vehicle laws, and that specific "law" you mention doesn't apply to us. So, until a change in our law (22) happens and requires such noisemakers, I can disable it. I know that the few EVs here ( including Teslas) make no noise.
You're free to do so. I have no horse in this race. But your opinion as to the law requiring such warnings in the United States or the EU is still entirely irrelevant.
Sponsored