mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I haven't heard this mentioned on the forum at all, but it's a really cool feature.

When you're going down a hill or mountain, Auto Grade Assist will detect the descent and will hold your speed using Regen and blending in mechanical braking. No activation via a button or a touch screen required.

Also, @iorio_robert on Instagram is a vehicle engineering manager on the Mach E team and he shares cool insights — and answers questions. Not to mention cool Mach E photos!

Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't heard this mentioned on the forum at all, but it's a really cool feature.

When you're going down a hill or mountain, Auto Grade Assist will detect the descent and will hold your speed using Regen and blending in mechanical braking. No activation via a button or a touch screen required.

Also, @iorio_robert on Instagram is a vehicle engineering manager on the Mach E team and he shares cool insights — and answers questions. Not to mention cool Mach E photos!

Oh wow, that's great. Especially here in Colorado!

I was planning on using "L" gear to try and do that, but this sounds much smarter.

I assume it's still a feature that has an on/off setting though. There are times where you'd actually want to coast faster downhill too.

Or I wonder if it's just a feature that's part of cruise control? Seems like it would be as you'd need to have told it what speed to stay at.

In my Escape, I don't like when the transmission downshifts too aggressively (in cruise control) when going down a short downhill stretch.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oh wow, that's great. Especially here in Colorado!

I was planning on using "L" gear to try and do that, but this sounds much smarter.

I assume it's still a feature that has an on/off setting though. There are times where you'd actually want to coast faster downhill too.

Or I wonder if it's just a feature that's part of cruise control? Seems like it would be as you'd need to have told it what speed to stay at.

In my Escape, I don't like when the transmission downshifts too aggressively (in cruise control) when going down a short downhill stretch.

It's basically a standard part of cruise control on BEVs. My 2016 Leaf does this. I'm certainly glad to hear the Mach E does too.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's basically a standard part of cruise control on BEVs. My 2016 Leaf does this. I'm certainly glad to hear the Mach E does too.
Yeah, the more I thought it through, I figured they must only be talking about cruise control. Which is a given since that's what cruise control does anyway -- maintain your speed. In ICE vehicles, it just does it by downshifting. In a BEV, the equivalent of downshifting is applying regen.

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
His comments on IG make it sound separate from cruise control.

If our use the brake or accelerator, it will automatically adjust the downhill speed it holds.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
My MB B250e has this feature. It does Auto-regen braking when coasting and getting closer to the car in front of you, to slow you down. It also does an Auto regen braking to hold the speed you were going when you let off the accelerator. It defaults to this auto setting when you shift into drive, instead of remembering what you like.
Sponsored