Backup start passcode - anyone actually set this up?

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
I have attempted multiple times to set this up. My phone is set up as a key and functions well (well, it hasn't left me stranded at least). I do not use the fob nor do I carry it with me. When attempting to set up the passcode, I have the PaaK and the key fob in the vehicle, per the instructions, and continue to receive an error message: "Required devices were not found. Please make sure you have a key fob and a phone as a key device with bluetooth enabled." I do have these devices in the vehicle with me. But no luck.

Any tricks to getting this enabled?
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Not sure what is going on with yours but I was able to set up without issues. I think - IIRC - I setup door lock keys (numbers) first and when I set it up it asked for setting up backup start code I think and it worked. I may be confused too.

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Yes, I have set up the door access code without a problem, but the issue is the backup startup code. I seem to recall that I actually did set it up when I first got the car, but was wondering why the option to start the car with a passcode did not appear when I tested it out today for the first time. So then I went into settings and saw that it was not enabled, for some reason, and tried to enable it, but wasn't able to convince the car that I actually had the PaaK and fob in the cabin...

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Yes, I was able to set this up and have successfully used it. You get a notice from Ford whenever it's used (at least I did). I think you have to have the "Admin Fob" a.k.a. the only Fob, available to set it up. I could be wrong though. That was required to do the initial PaaK IIRC. I do know that you can't do anything with a backup code until PaaK has been enabled.

You can only use the backup code to start the car when it doesn't detect any of your other keys, Fob or PaaK.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I can only set the door pillar code to unlock the vehicle and enter. When I try and start the vehicle I get a message that says the key is not present.

When I programmed my PIN for the door pillar key pad....I didn't see any place to program another (presumably different code sequence) to start the vehicle. ?????

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I can only set the door pillar code to unlock the vehicle and enter. When I try and start the vehicle I get a message that says the key is not present.

When I programmed my PIN for the door pillar key pad....I didn't see any place to program another (presumably different code sequence) to start the vehicle. ?????
It asks/forces you to setup the backup start code during PAAK setup.

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
So, has anyone does this without setting up PaaK? Do I need to set up a new Paak to get this to work?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It asks/forces you to setup the backup start code during PAAK setup.
I wasnt planning on using PaaK.....so am I screwed?

I am hoping I can use my fob because that technology is very dependable and then have the passcodes as a backup plan.

My phone has a hard enough time making a phone call some days. Relying on that thing to unlock and start my car never seemed like a realistic option for me. ???

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

I am hoping I can use my fob because that technology is very dependable and then have the passcodes as a backup plan.

My phone has a hard enough time making a phone call some days. Relying on that thing to unlock and start my car never seemed like a realistic option for me. ???
page 63 of one of the manuals says that yes, you're screwed (sorry) - it's stated that the Backup Start Code setup is triggered after the PaaK setup process:
"After Phone as a Key is setup, you can setup the Backup Start Passcode by following the prompts on your touchscreen."​
Ford Mustang Mach-E Backup start passcode - anyone actually set this up? 1614364350124

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Right but I interpreted this to mean that once you set up PaaK you could then set up the backup code at any time. If the truth is that you can only set up the backup code during the Paak setup process, but either (1) you skip this step or (2) the car forgets that you actually did create a backup code during this process (my case), and therefore you are no longer able to set up the backup code, that is an entirely different situation...

I think it means that you need to find someone else's phone to set up a new PaaK and hope that the backup code setup works during that setup process.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag

Yes, you can only configure Backup Code after a PaaK device is configured. If you don't set it up during PaaK configuration, you can go in though the settings (general I believe) and configure it after the fact. That's what I did. The car will only prompt for the backup code after a couple of start attempts with no key detected.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
page 63 of one of the manuals says that yes, you're screwed (sorry) - it's stated that the Backup Start Code setup is triggered after the PaaK setup process:
"After Phone as a Key is setup, you can setup the Backup Start Passcode by following the prompts on your touchscreen."​
Ford Mustang Mach-E Backup start passcode - anyone actually set this up? 1614364350124
Thanks.

I think too many of us are writing off PAAK due to our own preferences and it's less than consistent service atm. While Ford really needs to be putting resources into PAAK reliability and dependability, the rest of us need to give it a chance as well. Old dogs (or cats) can learn new tricks.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Thanks.

I think too many of us are writing off PAAK due to our own preferences and it's less than consistent service atm. While Ford really needs to be putting resources into PAAK reliability and dependability, the rest of us need to give it a chance as well. Old dogs (or cats) can learn new tricks.
I am sure that Ford is working diligently on PAAK, and that it will get better.

However, the way I would prefer they handled this was to give us 2 keys now and make PAAK so reliable and compelling across the lineup that people stopped using the fobs. That would be the time to drop down to a single fob. We are absolutely not there yet, and I kind of resent having functionality limited by issues beyond my control. Backup start code should not rely on PAAK - in fact, that's kind of the point of having the backup code.

Some people will avoid any new technology, and others are happy to deal with teething pains. I am fine with PAAK and one fob as long as PAAK is just as reliable as the fob. Before anyone says that PAAK is more capable and harder to implement.....that shouldn't be my problem, any more than fob reliability is my problem. It's Ford's (which again, I am sure they are working feverishly to fix). Here's hoping that it improves quickly.
Sponsored