Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
My Mach-E has passed the 60k threshold and I calculate I'll reach the 100k mark the middle of next year. I'd like to start periodically monitoring the health of the battery just in case it degrades past the 80% charge that the warrantee allows for. Is there an easy or definitive way to determine this without relying on the GOM?

I have a Bluetooth OBDII scanner, but haven't played around with it much on my phone.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Warranty is 70%, not 80%. The GOM tells you nothing about the health of the battery. There are fields that Carscanner shows you, but Ford determines the health their way, whatever that is.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My Mach-E has passed the 60k threshold and I calculate I'll reach the 100k mark the middle of next year. I'd like to start periodically monitoring the health of the battery just in case it degrades past the 80% charge that the warrantee allows for. Is there an easy or definitive way to determine this without relying on the GOM?

I have a Bluetooth OBDII scanner, but haven't played around with it much on my phone.
Charge to 100% displayed.
Battery temp not too cold or too warm.
Connect a scan tool and if the kWh to empty is 70% or less than the advertised usable amount when new then a case might be made for a replacement. For my car, that figure would be 61.6 kWh or less.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Charge to 100% displayed.
Battery temp not too cold or too warm.
Connect a scan tool and if the kWh to empty is 70% or less than the advertised usable amount when new then a case might be made for a replacement. For my car, that figure would be 61.6 kWh or less.
Also drive until you're at a specific low % SOC, say 20%. Plug in your OBD2 reader again, gather these same data.

SOC Displayed
Energy to Empty
HvB Temperature

Divide Energy to Empty by SOC Displayed as a decimal (for example, 20% SOC is 0.2). This number should be the same as the 100% SOC Displayed Energy to Empty. You want HvB Temperature to be as close to the same (25 C or 72 F is just about right) as possible for every measurement, but if you can't have it at that ideal temperature, you want it to be close to the same temperature every time.

Do this at least three times over several weeks and average those results. If your low-SOC Energy to Empty is wildly different from your 100% SOC Energy to Empty, it may indicate something weird with your battery health.

This isn't what Ford will do to consider a warranty claim, but it will give you an idea of the state of health. There's some HVB State of Health measure reported to CarScanner, but we don't know what algorithm this is using.
Sponsored