Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
The guys who run that channel actually have an F-150 lightning, and have good things to say about it, so I'm not sure if they're 100% Tesla fanboys, but that comment about bluecruise does make me wonder about them.
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
There is no data to support that claim. In fact, there is very little data from FSD at all. There has also been some criticism of how Tesla reports the safety of basic AutoPilot. They say AutoPilot is several times safer than cars that don't have AutoPilot. But... They are comparing AutoPilot, which is mostly used on freeways, to all driving by other cars. That also doesn't take into account all of those really old cars that don't have newer safety features like automatic emergency braking, blind spot monitors, lane detection, etc.
This.

They also don't account for the fact that most (fatal) accidents in the US occur in rural areas, places where there are many fewer EVs of any kind, but especially Teslas with Autopilot or FSD. Ford doesn't limit its Hands-Free BlueCruise (HFBC) to its EVs, so it's not unreasonable to assume that there are accidents in rural areas in which HFBC or just BC was active. And, of course, even if that wasn't the cause of the accident Tesla (and Tesla's cultists) will claim it is.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah just seems like an anecdotal comment. It's too early in terms of research done on these systems to say one way or another. There are significantly more Autopilot capable vehicles on the road than BC capable, and they have done many times over more miles than BC vehicles have simply due to number of vehicles and time available.

That said, BlueCruise and SuperCruise both topped a recent review of best drive assistance systems, and almost any unbiased review of FSD has shown it does some incredibly sketchy stuff. There is more to driving than not having an accident. I could be a terrible driver and not have an accident as long as everyone around me is paying really close attention. In terms of smooth operation and consistent results, BC seems to win every time.

But Ford and GM clearly took a more "conservative" approach to their systems as is the way of the traditional automakers. They mapped the road and started small, no lane changes or any of that, let's just get it to go down the road in its lane an not hit anything. Then we can add on.

With FSD, Tesla went from "we can keep you in a lane and also do some lane changes" to "the car will drive you from parking lot to parking lot using only cameras", in a matter of a couple years, and that is just asking for trouble.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
* With Autopilot 1 crash every 6.26MM miles
* Without Autopilot 1 crash every 1.7MM miles
The problem with even these numbers is: are you comparing the same TYPES of miles? Are people more likely to use FSD on highways vs. city roads? If so, is the highway accident rate higher or lower than city driving accident rates?

* Per NHTSA, estimates for all autos are one crash every 625K miles
And if you are comparing ALL cars, a good number of those are older cars don't have crash avoidance systems that are more common on newer vehicles like a Tesla. You would expect a newer car to be less likely to crash than an older car.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag

Compare it to Tesla beta testers, aka drivers who paid for FSD -- it means more stress, not less.
So interstate BlueCruise vs city FSD.

My EAP and BlueCruise experiences have been relatively similar while driving on interstates. I like both, don't think either is completely ready for prime time.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Your definition of "really old cars" and mine are quite different. I would have said that "really old cars" don't have safety features like disk brakes and power steering...

Before I got my Lightning I had a 2019 that didn't have emergency braking or lane detection.
I meant relatively old.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I personally think that if you use BC and have an slightly inattentive driver behind you that its pretty likely.. BC loves to brake check people where Tesla handles it a little differently from what I've experienced riding with a few people who own Teslas.

Another major issue, which I guess is not major so long as you are paying attention, is where BC does not "see" a car in front of another.. Or, if you are in CA, sees a splitting motorcycle as the car in front of you when in actuality there is another car actually in front of you.

I've had the motorcycle thing happen twice. Large bagger bike splitting down the lane around 35mph with the MME pacing the car in front of me at its typical 2ish car lengths. Bike goes by, MME is like OH HEY THAT CAR SPEEDED UP, LETS GO!!!! and almost rear-ends the person in front of me. Both times I've had it do the typical full acceleration you get in BC with the road is open. This has happened twice. Same situation, seems to be more in common with large vans/trucks, where traffic is moving 35-40 and the car changes lanes because the car in front of them were driving slower. Not a huge issue, blocked view, car moves, poof new car stopped or much slower and its SUPRISE!!! However the MME (or mine at least) will actually accelerate as that car is slowly gliding out of the lane at a higher speed and does not seem to slow down for the other car. It feels like the MME is only capable of seeing one "object" at a time that is within its vision.

With the cars I suppose it could be possible that the MME would stop in time but it was way too close for my liking. For the splitting motorcycles, 100% the MME would had made contact to the car or at best emergency braked on the freeway. Its super dangerous if you are not paying attention and don't know that is the way the car reacts.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
So interstate BlueCruise vs city FSD.

My EAP and BlueCruise experiences have been relatively similar while driving on interstates. I like both, don't think either is completely ready for prime time.
From a driving experience it's a big difference. BlueCruise is mildly annoying when from time to time it demands keeping your hands on the wheel. FSD is a nerve-racking experience like teaching your 5 yo to drive.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The problem with even these numbers is: are you comparing the same TYPES of miles? Are people more likely to use FSD on highways vs. city roads? If so, is the highway accident rate higher or lower than city driving accident rates?

And if you are comparing ALL cars, a good number of those are older cars don't have crash avoidance systems that are more common on newer vehicles like a Tesla. You would expect a newer car to be less likely to crash than an older car.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...
Most of these are so simplified as to have little meaning, but the numbers easily catch the ear of people who don't understand statistics. You are comparing mostly easily driven miles in good weather versus driving anywhere in non FSD vehicles and comparing typical people to drivers of expensive cars, which is a whole demographic niche compared to the average driver and car.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Of course BC is more likely to get into crash because BC is just a dumb lane centering algorithm while Tesla "FSD" is an advanced expert system taught to drive based on millions of miles of driving

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
From a driving experience it's a big difference. BlueCruise is mildly annoying when from time to time it demands keeping your hands on the wheel. FSD is a nerve-racking experience like teaching your 5 yo to drive.
FSD is much more capable than BC. A more fair comparison is BC to autopilot. I have both, and when used on divided restricted highway, they're equivalent. But I do like tesla's system better because it display the cars around you.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Of course BC is more likely to get into crash because BC is just a dumb lane centering algorithm while Tesla "FSD" is an advanced expert system taught to drive based on millions of miles of driving
FSD is not ready for prime time yet, but I'm really impress with what it can do. In this regard, Tesla is years ahead of other OEM.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
That's true. I have a hunch at some point they will be licensing out their ai engine