BlueCruise - Why?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
manual steering -> power steering - > ver 1 adaptive cruise control - > blue cruise (or whatever other manufacturers call it)

Basically they all are driver's assist to make it easier and safer, as long as you still pay attention. For tedious driving tasks it is very helpful. It has also saved my ass more than a few times when I wasn't really paying full attention. BUT, you don't have to use these features.

So what's next? I guess level 3 and then full automated driving. That is kind of scary. People in cars are just WAY to unpredictable in spit seconds. I doubt any current computer and auto hardware can quite keep up in real time yet. to crazy.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I like it, but does anyone else feel that it weaves in the lane too much on the highway? I feel like someone is gonna think I’m driving drunk. It does stay well within the lane, but BlueCruise feels like I’m basically in a big pinball machine bouncing between the lines.

A big problem I’ve noticed is that I can’t use BC or cruise control and have my hand on top of the steering wheel because it blocks the eye sensors. You basically can’t have your hands between the 10 and 2 position at all. Oh, and if you take a drink of coffee it freaks out too.

Has great potential, but I’m not sure it’s there yet for busy highways. Where I live there is always traffic on every highway so I can’t truly enjoy the handsfree anyway - take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Mine was steady until the sensors got covered in Salt. I am anxious to try it with clean sensors…I may have to wait until Spring.

dono

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E select AWD SR, 1930 Model A Ford 427
Occupation
Retired oracle DBA
Country flag
Has anyone tested what Blue Cruise does if you don't pay attention? My understanding of Cadillacs Super Cruise is that it will pull over and stop. I suppose Cadillac, with it's driver demographics, figures the driver just died.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone tested what Blue Cruise does if you don't pay attention? My understanding of Cadillacs Super Cruise is that it will pull over and stop. I suppose Cadillac, with it's driver demographics, figures the driver just died.
All I know is it warns you. Never gone farther to see what it does. Maybe next trip…..My guess is it slows and stops.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Not much, really. It’s mainly for people who don’t like to drive.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I love to drive. Racing, drifting, cruising, canyon carving, ATV, bikes, whatever - If it involves wheels I love it.

However I also LOVE blue cruise. When you're just on a boring highway doing nothing...it's great. I can't even explain it but it is such a nice anti-fatigue feature I absolutely love it. After driving 1100 miles home with it I can say without a doubt it is a fantastic technology for boring road trips and I would love it on every daily driver car I own in the future.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag

It won't pull over and stop. It will disengage and say "resume control" with a loud tone if you do not react to it telling you to pay attention. It will then slowly slow down to a crawl unless they've updated it. It keeps playing the loud noise until you take over. Pre-BC update it wouldn't stop completely or put the hazards on. I do not know if anyone has tested that now. It is kind of hard to do with BC engaged.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I disagree wholeheartedly. I love to drive. Racing, drifting, cruising, canyon carving, ATV, bikes, whatever - If it involves wheels I love it.

However I also LOVE blue cruise. When you're just on a boring highway doing nothing...it's great. I can't even explain it but it is such a nice anti-fatigue feature I absolutely love it. After driving 1100 miles home with it I can say without a doubt it is a fantastic technology for boring road trips and I would love it on every daily driver car I own in the future.
That’s all well and good. I’m glad you like it. I’m talking about studies that have shown these technologies also cause drivers to be unprepared when the unexpected occurs during their use. I’m not just speaking subjectively here.

An extra 1 or 2 seconds that it takes the human mind to reorient and process after it hasn’t been focused specifically on driving is all it takes to mean the difference between crash or crash avoidance. No debate.

And I’m not saying BC is a boogeyman, it can be helpful in many situations. In fact, it absolutely can PREVENT crashes. But, many drivers will use it as a crutch and become inattentive. Human nature, human factors. It can help, If the driver also remains focused and attentive to the task of driving. Same goes for AutoPilot, SuperCruise et al. Many drivers won’t.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457520305558

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
That’s all well and good. I’m glad you like it. I’m talking about studies that have shown these technologies also cause drivers to be unprepared when the unexpected occurs during their use. I’m not just speaking subjectively here.

An extra 1 or 2 seconds that it takes the human mind to reorient and process after it hasn’t been focused specifically on driving is all it takes to mean the difference between crash or crash avoidance. No debate.

And I’m not saying BC is a boogeyman, it can be helpful in many situations. In fact, it absolutely can PREVENT crashes. But, many drivers will use it as a crutch and become inattentive. Human nature, human factors. It can help, If the driver also remains focused and attentive to the task of driving. Same goes for AutoPilot, SuperCruise et al. Many drivers won’t.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457520305558
I am mostly in agreement, but there are other studies that this technology is most dangerous when people are new in using it. However people who are experienced using it, in general, will be similarly or even more observant than someone driving normally. I'll have to go find that again later it was very interesting.

Blue cruise makes it hard to not pay attention. It really wants you to pay attention. They've done a good job at making it force you to pay attention - though I agree you aren't necessarily engaged in driving mentally - but lets be honest on most highway drives how engaged is your mind really?

There's a question of does this stop more accidents than it may "cause" based on inattentiveness? My guess is yes.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Can someone with working bluecruise check the expiration date on hands-free mode? I wonder if "--" means that I don't have limitation or don't have it at all
Ford Mustang Mach-E BlueCruise - Why? 20211202_105526

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I am mostly in agreement, but there are other studies that this technology is most dangerous when people are new in using it. However people who are experienced using it, in general, will be similarly or even more observant than someone driving normally. I'll have to go find that again later it was very interesting.

Blue cruise makes it hard to not pay attention. It really wants you to pay attention. They've done a good job at making it force you to pay attention - though I agree you aren't necessarily engaged in driving mentally - but lets be honest on most highway drives how engaged is your mind really?

There's a question of does this stop more accidents than it may "cause" based on inattentiveness? My guess is yes.
Yes, agreed, and BC is already a far better implementation than AutoPilot or FSD from all I’ve seen/read. The legacy makers systems will be more conservative than Tesla’s Wild West approach.

Question: Does the GTS on order offer a variant of BC (not just adaptive cruise)?As far as I know, Porsche InnoDrive is just assists, not level 2 sd. Haha, gotcha, driver’s car my man ?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yes, agreed, and BC is already a far better implementation than AutoPilot or FSD from all I’ve seen/read. The legacy makers systems will be more conservative than Tesla’s Wild West approach.

Question: Does the GTS on order offer a variant of BC (not just adaptive cruise)?As far as I know, Porsche InnoDrive is just assists, not level 2 sd. Haha, gotcha, driver’s car my man ?
Hah! To be honest I didn't even order adaptive cruise. I won't daily a 911 either *probably*. I would have ordered ACC/InnoDrive but I can't stand the look of the front radar on the car plus it blocks cooling so I just went without it. InnoDrive should be like Fords lane centering AFAIK but I've never actually looked into it.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
We ordered a Mach E GT PE because we love to drive and like cars that are fun to drive and ALL electric. All electric gives me freedom that I have been enjoying for almost 23 years now on nearly all pure battery driving for my commuting and for the past 6+ years all off of energy from the sun. (My wife and I have driven 325+K miles on battery power since January 1999, but none as much fun as this car will be based on test drives of a non PE GT).

While the Tesla Model Y performance is ever so slightly quicker and faster (and does not have the 5 second issue), the all around driving experience of the MME GT PE was far superior from a drivers perspective IMHO for daily life. I think that the MME GT PE is optimal for how we will use the car-as a fun to drive, practical, commuter and family vehicle. I will be good with a mid 3 second 0-60 and 12.5 second 1/4 mile regardless of the trap speed for my commuter car.

As far as why get the BlueCruise option...this is simple. I am often just commuting...and stuck in horrible traffic- and/or boring drives on the highway. This is pure stress and NOT what I consider as "fun" and it certainly is not interesting "driving". While I am still waiting for my car, I also want to take the stresses out of this kind of "driving". I was not going to purchase another car if it did not have hands free highway driving.

I also wanted a car that offers this Autonomous driving technology that I am comfortable with. I really like that it makes sure I am paying attention by watching my eyes...and is really hands free. While Tesla has "superior" and more capable general autonomy on streets and highways at this point-in my opinion the BlueCruise is safer and less stressful for highway driving mainly because of how the car forces the driver to pay attention-and it is truly hands free. I am far more comfortable with that in 2021/2022.

Maybe someday when cars are safely completely hands free I would use a level 5 vehicle for my commuting. Then I am not driving at all - and it would not be a performance car because I am just riding... That is a different use case.

But I think that the MME GT PE is about as close to a perfect car for my/our needs/wants/desires of today. I think that we can have it all with the least amount of compromises. I am not expecting to be racing this car on a race track, however, it is seriously fun to drive when I am really driving around town or on interesting roads. The Magneride suspension is also something I am really looking forward to experiencing. It is quicker (but not faster) than any car I have owned, and I have built race/street cars that have 600HP.

I can also take my family out comfortably for short and/or long drives and I am expecting this to be superior and safer to ride in when it is just dull, boring and stressful-"driving" enabled because of BlueCruise.

Other cars may be more fun on a track with a stick shift and roaring engines and there is always something faster and quicker - for our use case for this car...as a daily driven street car-The MME GT PE combines the best parts of everything that I/we love in a single vehicle.

Now I just need Ford to build my car already ;)

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I'm driving in my car
I turn on the radio
then some stuff about fire, kisses
but I always have preferred to drive, not much of a riding fan
must still be crazy after all these years