RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I have tested this and I can cover my eyes (peering through my fingers so I'm actually still watching) for seven seconds before I get a beep. That's quite a bit of time in reality and so you don't feel like you are getting beeped at every single time you inadvertently look at the screen or a passenger or something pretty out the window.
It's better be beeping or may miss an important sign ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E BlueCruise - Why? 1638842041400
Sponsored

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I disagree wholeheartedly. I love to drive. Racing, drifting, cruising, canyon carving, ATV, bikes, whatever - If it involves wheels I love it.

However I also LOVE blue cruise. When you're just on a boring highway doing nothing...it's great. I can't even explain it but it is such a nice anti-fatigue feature I absolutely love it. After driving 1100 miles home with it I can say without a doubt it is a fantastic technology for boring road trips and I would love it on every daily driver car I own in the future.
During your 1100 miles, how many times has it failed - that is, without advance warning either turned itself off and/or moved out of its lane? Zero?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
During your 1100 miles, how many times has it failed - that is, without advance warning either turned itself off and/or moved out of its lane? Zero?
Only once...

2jjysq.jpg

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Never moved out of its lane without letting me know to take control. There are 3 ways it disengages.

1. No warning - if your hands are on the wheel it will disengage either due to road conditions or a sharper curve with no warning. However it is extremely obvious when the blue just disappears. Lane centering will continue to work. If lane centering disengages it will ding.

2. Keep hands on wheel warning. If you are hands free and lane centering still works but it wants you to put your hands on the wheel due to a sharp curve or something it is unsure of it will display this notice along with the blue disappearing. The car is still steering. If you don't put your hands on the wheel in a few seconds it starts to ding at you.

3. Resume control warning with loud alert tones. This happens if the system has to disengage totally (lane centering and BC) while your hands are not on the wheel. It is a quick way to make sure you get your hands back on the wheel. Note the car still tries to control itself, it doesn't just give up and shoot off in a different direction. This is rare but I have had it happen before. As soon as your hands are on the wheel the alert stops. Then when possible lane centering re-engages.

If you're mid curve and the system for some reason disengages it will give the resume control warning but it will not just let the wheel go straight. It still holds the curve until you are actively putting pressure on the wheel. Granted I've never had BlueCruise do this but lane centering has.

The warnings also decide to alert audibly based on where your eyes are looking in my experience.

I'm very happy with the system and how it engages/disengages. Never have once felt out of control or in trouble.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Never moved out of its lane without letting me know to take control. There are 3 ways it disengages.
3. Resume control warning with loud alert tones. This happens if the system has to disengage totally (lane centering and BC) while your hands are not on the wheel. It is a quick way to make sure you get your hands back on the wheel. Note the car still tries to control itself, it doesn't just give up and shoot off in a different direction. This is rare but I have had it happen before. As soon as your hands are on the wheel the alert stops. Then when possible lane centering re-engages...
Thanks, breeves. It is your #3 that terrifies me. There is a big difference between "warning" and "advance warning". My Mustang was on BC for several miles, and with ZERO advance warning, sailed into the adjacent lane, which was empty. SIMULTANEOUS with the failure, there were red warning signals and hands on wheels notices, but the car is obviously quicker than my hands. Ever since then, I have kept my hands within an inch of the steering wheel anytime there is traffic near me, and I can only relax (slightly) when I'm far from any other cars/walls/curbs/etc.

I find it remarkably stressful to use BC, knowing that at any moment it could announce failure and instantly veer out of its lane. I commend those who are able to relax with BlueCruise in control and hands off the wheel - you guys must have nerves of steel! I hope you - and all of us - stay safe.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I drove into HQ this morning for work and for the 112 miles, I had BC engaged for probably 70% of it with very little issue or confusion. The car does wander inside the lane a little more than I like but i found it to work pretty well in my singular experience

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I drove into HQ this morning for work and for the 112 miles, I had BC engaged for probably 70% of it with very little issue or confusion. The car does wander inside the lane a little more than I like but i found it to work pretty well in my singular experience
I've done 15 miles, and had exactly the same impression. It wandered close to both edges of the lane, and worked "pretty well" - that is, it failed only one time, in a manner that could have been catastrophic had there been a car to my left at 70 mph.

One failure in 15 miles really is pretty good for technology like this. But it's not nearly good enough for me to trust with my life, or the lives of my passengers.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You guys with your fancy-schmancy BlueCruise. I just keep my paws on the wheel. ??

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I've done 15 miles, and had exactly the same impression. It wandered close to both edges of the lane, and worked "pretty well" - that is, it failed only one time, in a manner that could have been catastrophic had there been a car to my left at 70 mph.

One failure in 15 miles really is pretty good for technology like this. But it's not nearly good enough for me to trust with my life, or the lives of my passengers.
Is it the same wandering without hands-free, with normal lane centering? Was it windy?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Is it the same wandering without hands-free, with normal lane centering? Was it windy?
No wind, and yes, I think it is the same without the hands free.

It's not terrible, I think it stayed between the lines. But not like a human. A human driver will generally stay centered, but edge left when passing a tractor-trailer, for example. The BlueCruise seemed to randomly be centered or a little too far left or right. Often too close for my comfort to a wall or car in an adjacent lane.

I only have about 20 miles on BC now, so others can speak from more experience.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Thanks, breeves. It is your #3 that terrifies me. There is a big difference between "warning" and "advance warning". My Mustang was on BC for several miles, and with ZERO advance warning, sailed into the adjacent lane, which was empty. SIMULTANEOUS with the failure, there were red warning signals and hands on wheels notices, but the car is obviously quicker than my hands. Ever since then, I have kept my hands within an inch of the steering wheel anytime there is traffic near me, and I can only relax (slightly) when I'm far from any other cars/walls/curbs/etc.

I find it remarkably stressful to use BC, knowing that at any moment it could announce failure and instantly veer out of its lane. I commend those who are able to relax with BlueCruise in control and hands off the wheel - you guys must have nerves of steel! I hope you - and all of us - stay safe.
Interesting I have never had that happen like that. Even when it gives me the freak out resume control it has never been 'out of control'. It just seemed like it did it out of an abundance of caution.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Try setting lane centering to high. IACC is pretty solid in the lane with centering set to high.

Xenotet

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Ford Focus ST, ‘21 Toyota Venza Ltd
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
As many others have already stated, BlueCruise takes a ton of the fatigue out of highway driving. The first weekend of owning the car we took a trip across the state to visit family for thanksgiving (~175 miles) and used BC almost the whole way. It makes it feel like you’re a passenger, takes the fatigue out of keeping your arms held up, and reacts to changes way better than I expected. It’s amazing to be able to take a trip across the state and barely need to touch the wheel or pedals.

I’ve used it multiple times since, and it’s been flawless for me. The only time it’s asked me to resume control has been through SunPass toll stations. Otherwise it’s taken every single sharp turn with ease.

I agree that it has noticeable variation in the lane-centering but that’s not unique to BC - it’s got the same variation while driving with adaptive CC.
Sponsored