Bluetooth suddenly fails to connect phone FordPass to MME PAAK, [fixed by uninstall / re-configure of FP and PAAK]

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My BT connectivity, and use of PAAK have been flawless for over a year.... but BT connection reliability has dropped dramatically over the last couple days. I would see temporary 're-connecting to <my phone>' on the main console screen occasionally, yesterday PAAK failed with no BT, and the FordPass app main screen shows 'no bluetooth'

Today, standing right next to the MME, I can ask phone BT to 'scan' for nearby devices, and it does not see the MME. Walk-up sensing fails, so PAAK fails with 'no key detected'.

WTF ?!

nothing has changed in the car. I have had software auto-update turned off for months.
I did update FordPass on phone (Android) to 4.20.0 on 8/22

I've tried Sync reset with 'vol down + next' buttons.... no change

Interestingly, Fordpass WILL lock/unlock and remote Start with wifi connection... but PAAK doesn't work without BT, so PAAK suddenly is completely non-fuctional.

I just looked at the most recent 'update pending' message in my Fordpass, and it was received 9/14.... when all these troubles started. Is says the update is for PowerUp 2.6.0, which my vehicle says it is already at when I look at the software update screen in the vehicle. so...... now I am really suspicious that even though I have 'auto-update' off, it has done some partial update and broken itself. ----- last night I enabled update, and the phone says that the car is now at PowerUp 2.6.0 ----- but BT still shows 'disconnected'

further looking around on my phone shows a software update at 4:20am 9/15.... magically right around when this flakyness started. So I am suspicious of my phone Android update as being the cause . ;( something in the Samsung UI core 4.1 upgrade (android 12) ?! build a037u1ueu2bvh2

9/17 - decided to uninstall Fordpass and BT pairings from phone and reconfigure PAAK. I dug up my old thread https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-android-9-to-enable-a-backup-startcode.4544/

annnnnnnndddddd...... PAAK works again !!!!

So, I would conclude that something in my PHONE update screwed up the existing pairings, and I had to completely uninstall and reinstall to recover. 4 hours of screwing around to figure this out, so I hope my old thread on how to do a complete uninstall/re-pair/reconfigure saves somebody else some time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Have you powered down your phone? Sometimes a reboot fixes BT issues. I Apologize in advance if it’s a stupid suggestion.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Have you powered down your phone? Sometimes a reboot fixes BT issues. I Apologize in advance if it’s a stupid suggestion.

not stupid.... first thing I tried
didn't work or change any behavior

I have since tried deleting phone from the list, and the BT scan showed I could not re-pair because the phone and the car cannot see each other as available devices..... and I am sitting in the car ?!
Sponsored