silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They didn't specifically say they were only providing the second iDM. So we don't really know yet about the rear motor, although Ford people implied it's the same rear motor on all MMEs.
Why would BW explicitly mention that they're making the secondary motor for the GT's front wheels but say nothing of their involvement with the rear? That makes no sense to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It makes sense to me because it aligns with the information Ron Heiser had shared back in November, when he told David Tracy about the differences between regular and GT. I understood it to be that the GT and non-GT share rear motors, while the AWD has a smaller (50kW) front motor than the GT (same motor front and rear).

https://jalopnik.com/a-look-at-the-engineering-behind-the-2021-ford-mustang-1839911078
Yes, that was what was originally told to us but it looks like this is no longer the case based on BorgWarner's press release.

Throw in the hints we're getting about the GT release delay, Dark Horse, the MME 1400, and it's clear they're taking the GT development very seriously and things have changed.

My suspicion is the 210kW motor was originally developed for the original FWD EV compliance vehicle back in 2017 and it might not make a ton of sense for the GT. That's why it looks like to me there's at least one if not two different motors in the GT.

I could look silly in a few months when we know more but the clues are piling up.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Yes, that was what was originally told to us but it looks like this is no longer the case based on BorgWarner's press release.

Throw in the hints we're getting about the GT release delay, Dark Horse, the MME 1400, and it's clear they're taking the GT development very seriously and things have changed.

My suspicion is the 210kW motor was originally developed for the original FWD EV compliance vehicle back in 2017 and it might not make a ton of sense for the GT. That's why it looks like to me there's at least one if not two different motors in the GT.

I could look silly in a few months when we know more but the clues are piling up.
It is possible but I would still go with the same motors front and rear, the torque figure was always the combined value of the two motors but the hp was always way below that, be that down to sand bagging on fords part of just not enough juice to sustain full power.

We know that the torque and hp of the large motor has since got a boost to 290hp / 317lb-ft / 216 kW so that means the potential torque that was original 612 lb-ft could now be 634lb-ft however hp is still going to be an unknown the original target of 459 is way down on the potential of the two motors, as said I doubt any serious development was carried out on the GT until the launch versions where out of the way.

The only issue I could see will be the standard stepping on toes problems that all performance models have to contend with, but as the mach-e is a BEV that should hopefully allow it to developed to its full performance potential, the mustang faithful will be interested in the gt500 while a similar sized ford edge st is just a rebaged sport and a million miles away from what is required to wear the st badge, so there should be no stepping on toes and as they are going to offer a performance dervitives of the GT it really needs to live up to the name.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

It is interesting to see the direction you took based on the wording of the press release.