Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
The 2022 equivalent of baseball cards in the spokes...love it.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm going to make and market a device that looks like tailpipes and spews exhaust out of EVs, some sort of internal combustion engine.
It should make bluish-black smoke so we can get pulled over for polluting. 😰🐩

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Holy noise ordinance violation, Batman. I thought Borla exhausts were a fad that burned out a dozen years ago.
Freer-flowing exhaust with a good, tuned sound will never go out of style. Even once the EV switchover is almost complete. People are gonna pay metric fucktons for a great sounding V8 car in 25-30 years.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Lol, added myself to the notify me when it's available list.

Yea I will probably get one, mainly to annoy the people who say they won't buy an EV cause it quiet.

I am gonna make a prediction that this thing is $899

Last edited:

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The 2022 equivalent of baseball cards in the spokes...love it.
Perfect analogy.

As some who likes EVs and classic muscle cars, this is an abomination, IMO.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Do “fads” last almost 100 years?
Sorry, I'd assumed my noise ordinance batman intro would've implied I was being facetious. I'm well aware of Borla's long history of performance tuning, I was really just poking fun at the fad back at the turn of the millennium of every stickered up Civic and Eclipse needing a Borla exhaust to add 7hp and 50dB in a sad attempt to make their 4-banger sound like a V-12. The OP was literally posting about a Borla mod to add sound and no performance to an EV, which feels a bit like the same thing.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Well, I liked it and would consider ordering it if the price was right.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I just watched a portion of the latest episode of All Girls Garage - Mach E vs Mustang and the girls installed Borla's new Active Performance Sound for Electric Vehicles underneath the Mach-E.

There's a huge speaker that goes underneath the Mach-E right where an exhaust tip would normally be.

More details here: https://www.borla.com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electric-vehicles/

just because we CAN doesn't mean we should.... especially at high volume. I live in a place where it's nice to leave the windows open at night all summer; until friday and saturday nights when people start street racing nearby.

I have such mixed feelings on this.... Sometimes it would be fun to sound like a Ferrari, Jaguar 120, the Jetsons, or ____whatever_____.... and nice to tie the volume or frequency to actual output/regen kw for audio feedback

BUT I would hope for some reasonable (legal) decibel limit on an external speaker....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Borla Active Performance Sound for Mach-E Misophonia

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
We modified the exhaust on our Mach-E a long time ago and it sounds so much better. You can tell ours is the real thing, not just some lame speaker!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Freer-flowing exhaust with a good, tuned sound will never go out of style. Even once the EV switchover is almost complete. People are gonna pay metric fucktons for a great sounding V8 car in 25-30 years.
I love the sound of a well tuned engine going thru the gears, or downshifting into a corner.... but that sound is a result of engineered performance in a well-tuned motor to maximize airflow. Adding a speaker to an EV that has a single speed transmission has no real purpose other than novelty.

I totally agreed that there will be some great ICE classics out there... and (a few) people will continue to collect them, and maybe even drive them, if they also have 'fucktons' of money to get gasoline 25-30 years from now....

J-orange

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang GT vert, 2022 MME Premium eAWD ER
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I love the sound of a well tuned engine going thru the gears, or downshifting into a corner.... but that sound is a result of engineered performance in a well-tuned motor to maximize airflow. Adding a speaker to an EV that has a single speed transmission has no real purpose other than novelty.

I totally agreed that there will be some great ICE classics out there... and (a few) people will continue to collect them, and maybe even drive them, if they also have 'fucktons' of money to get gasoline 25-30 years from now....
I am thinking that I will have to convert my 5.0 V8 to run on natural gas eventually. Gasoline will become hard to find and expensive. I wonder if you can get a natural gas filling station installed at residence.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I just watched a portion of the latest episode of All Girls Garage - Mach E vs Mustang and the girls installed Borla's new Active Performance Sound for Electric Vehicles underneath the Mach-E. The rep on the show said that there will be up to 1000 sounds available and users will be able to customize their sound.

The girls decided to make the Mach-E sound like a an ICE Mustang which I thought was super cringy but whatever. 🤷‍♂️ I'd love to see a wide variety EV performance sounds available instead of trying to mimic EVs sounding like they're powered by gas.

I'm thrilled to see the aftermarket make something like this but I'm sure that this will probably be a polarizing mod.

It looks like this system will be available for purchase sometime this fall.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Borla Active Performance Sound for Mach-E Mach

There's a huge speaker that goes underneath the Mach-E right where an exhaust tip would normally be.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Borla Active Performance Sound for Mach-E Mach

More details here: https://www.borla.com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electric-vehicles/

Thanks @RockwallRick for the heads up that this episode would be airing.
I watched that too. The coolest thing for me is that, because the system reads inputs including accelerator pedal position, one can "rev" a Mach-E while in Park. Personally, I don't particularly relish raucous engine noise, but I'm glad this exists for those who miss it. {Jonathan}

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Gotta hope they did the right thing and this is an open platform for sound so I can make my car whoooop whoooooo!
Per the Borla person in the episode, the sound palette will be customizable over time via an app. {Jonathan}

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Can I make it do Batpod noises? Because I am totally in if it can do Batpod noises, and I promise I'll only use it in a non-irritating fashion
Sponsored