Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I have no clue what you have or haven’t done. I just don’t understand why it seems like you’re attacking me for suggesting possible solutions.

In answer to where to get “universal fit shocks,” the answer is any auto parts store. Summit has over 2,000 available:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shocks-and-struts/universal/yes

As far as the exact length and type? Ask a suspension expert.

Maybe reach out to the sponsor on this page?https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-lowering-spring-development.6353/

If he can develop new springs he should know what length shocks will work.
Not attacking you.

I'll call Summit racing and see what they say because the search on their website didn't turn up any compatible parts.

I have looked at other auto parts stores, called them to talk to them, sent messages, etc (like CJ pony parts, Lethal performance, Steeda, just to name a few). I have called suspension shops to talk to them with no luck and even brought in the vehicle for them to look at. Since the car is still new no one seems to know enough about it to make recommendations for what could fit. I've even talked to air suspension shops/stores.

Thanks for reminding me to reach back out to that sponsor and follow up. I actually did reach out to him via private message some time ago when I saw he was developing lowering springs.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I've even talked to air suspension shops/stores.
I never even knew you could put an aftermarket air suspension in a car. This is eye opening. I wonder if you did this on a MME, if you could lower the car for high speed highway driving and get better range due to better areo? And when driving around town, raise it up to reduce bounce? Hmmm...

https://www.ridetech.com/tech/air-suspension-overview/

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not attacking you.

I'll call Summit racing and see what they say because the search on their website didn't turn up any compatible parts.

I have looked at other auto parts stores, called them to talk to them, sent messages, etc (like CJ pony parts, Lethal performance, Steeda, just to name a few). I have called suspension shops to talk to them with no luck and even brought in the vehicle for them to look at. Since the car is still new no one seems to know enough about it to make recommendations for what could fit. I've even talked to air suspension shops/stores.

Thanks for reminding me to reach back out to that sponsor and follow up. I actually did reach out to him via private message some time ago when I saw he was developing lowering springs.
It’s highly unlikely any parts store is going to do anything but look in their computer and say “nope, we have nothing for you.”

Shocks aren’t super complicated though. As long as it’s the right length and will bolt up, they will “fit.”

But I would want to talk to someone who knows what they’re doing in terms of suggesting the proper shocks for a 5000 lb crossover with the particular ride profile or performance level you want, rather than just throwing parts at it.

The sponsor is likely your best bet since if he “fixes” the issue, the orders will line up.

And usually they tend to give free or discounted parts to “guinea pigs” when testing a new setup! (Assuming they don’t have their own vehicle to test on). My brother has done that a few times with vehicles he owned (let them borrow and test).

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
We need to submit product request to Bilstein. They make adaptive dampers too.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We need to submit product request to Bilstein. They make adaptive dampers too.
I can't remember if I submitted a product request to them but I have for a few other places. I'll submit a request for them as well.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never even knew you could put an aftermarket air suspension in a car. This is eye opening. I wonder if you did this on a MME, if you could lower the car for high speed highway driving and get better range due to better areo? And when driving around town, raise it up to reduce bounce? Hmmm...

https://www.ridetech.com/tech/air-suspension-overview/
Air suspension would be a last ditch option because I really don't want any extra headache that can come with it and would rather keep things as close to stock as possible but I was doing research and trying to explore all options. On the other hand it would probably turn this into the best riding vehicle I've ever owned...

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Front shock valving, probably. Air suspension seems a bit extreme.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I can't remember if I submitted a product request to them but I have for a few other places. I'll submit a request for them as well.
I trust Bilstein would make a well valved and reliable damper. B6 or B8 with slightly more aggressive dampening would make the ride a bit more harsh, but would reduce the bounce.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hi everyone

I’ve been giving this issue a lot of thought and I think this is just a case of having springs and shocks that are not well-matched to one another. I think it’s a stiff spring with insufficient damping. I have seen this before with a friend who put stiffer springs in his gti without changing his shocks. The result was complete and total undercar anarchy.

I think this is the reason the rear end of the Mach-e sometimes feels like a pogo stick. The damping is just not sufficient for the spring rate.

I’m thinking about stopping by steeda (from what I understand headquarters is a few miles up the road from me) and see if they can help…or have some future plans. This is something that will make someone rich if they can fix it

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Hi everyone

I’ve been giving this issue a lot of thought and I think this is just a case of having springs and shocks that are not well-matched to one another.
Seems like the sort of mistake Ford would avoid. I believe they've been making cars for some time now.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Seems like the sort of mistake Ford would avoid. I believe they've been making cars for some time now.
They might try to avoid it, but they are definitely new to the 5000 lb performance crossover BEV world. Mistakes will be made.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
They might try to avoid it, but they are definitely new to the 5000 lb performance crossover BEV world. Mistakes will be made.
Suspension engineers are going to have to relearn everything to make this new generation of EVs ride and handle properly. Not only do they weight a lot more, but the weight is very low, making heavy anti-roll bars unnecessary. I think it will all be figured out eventually

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Big anti-roll bars are always necessary for optimum cornering. They put big tungsten ingots WAY down low on race cars that have no ride height to speak of, with springs designed to let the aero push the body all the way to the ground (and dampers that hold the body there), riding on the jounce bumpers, and they still have some pretty large anti-roll bars.

Dmhccs

First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo XC90 recharge, 2021 Mach e GTPE
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
This video also confirms the problem check 27:40 -28:20. This is exactly how I feel about the suspension of the GT
I watched this video before and I feel he’s right about the bouncy feeling. I test drove the Premium back in Feb. Loved the car but was concerned about the bounce. I ordered the GTPE specifically for the magneride suspension. I live in PA and we have terrible roads. I find the ride very smooth and steady, not bouncy in the GTPE! It isn‘t like my Volvo recharge with air suspension but it isn’t supposed to be.

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
There’s too many of us including automotive journalists describing the same problem in various states that it’s a tangible and real issue. Much like the wind noise that some of us experienced and now there’s a TSB solving it.

Much like most of us here, I’ve owned many cars over the years and never felt anything quite like this. its not always bothersome but it’s certainly noticeable in some road conditions more than others. Like others have said, when going over concrete expansion joints on the highway it can be very disconcerting. At times almost like the car will “fly off“ the road.

I really like this car, but after 8 months of ownership, this issue, on top of the blue cruise delay, general system reliability, wind noise, PAAK and app problems, is really getting me to think if I cut my losses, or double down and trade in for a GTPE. I was hoping a spring/shock replacement might help out and certainly be cheaper than a 10K upgrade. That said, The Kia EV6 GT looks promising but probably a year away.

I do hope Ford is aware of this issue. They’ve put out numerous TSBs to fix things, but maybe they are content with the way this car feels by design. It isn’t punishing, but it is the most unusual suspension I’ve ever driven in 30 years.
Sponsored