Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Davisir

First Name
DANSK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tahoe LT
Country flag
I have a 2023 premium and a 2022 cal route 1. I prefer the ride of the cal route 1. Was going to change out the tires in the premium hoping to make it less bouncy but I deflated the tire psi from 39 down to 35 and it’s much better now.

Still no Low tire pressure indicator so I’m assuming it’s still in the normal use range. Much more enjoyable drive now.
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I test drove a 21 GTPE last week. used. ride was smoother than my Premium. But very noisy- tires.
the dealership is asking $58k.
The GTPE tires are noisy because of the chunks of performance rubber, They also wear fast as hell.
I'd pick up a GT (non-PE) at $50k tomorrow if I could. (then start this whole mess over again...) I paid more for my premium in January.
Was going to change out the tires in the premium hoping to make it less bouncy but I deflated the tire psi from 39 down to 35 and it’s much better now.
The AS3's have a hard sidewall. They can take airing down easier. Pilot PS4's would be the best shot on the 19's but you'll seriously pay near $100 more a tire because they're 19's. 235/50 R20's and 245/50 R20's are super common now and priced well. It was actually a driving factor in my swapping from the prem wheels to GT's. (plus I don't like the way the 19's sit in so much in the fender)

lamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Bouncy term is difficult for readers to know what the true problem is. The road or the car. I viewed as hard shocks and suspension. It can also mean oscillating up and down. My GT has hard shocks and I feel every bump pothole railroad tracks. It’s very nice on smooth flat roads. The engage drive mode is little softer than whisper and unbridle modes. Tire pressure recommended is 39 so I have not changed this. Once driven the monitor showed 43-45 normally. I did take mine back to the dealer to check and they said normal nothing wrong. I have a recording of my car over a bad bridge that you can see how bad the shocks are, pretty much followed the pavement. The bridge engineers should be fired. Bottom line is the Mach E looks beautiful has good drive performance but lacks comfort ride. Please provide feedback.

sci_goat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2023 Rte1 Grabber Blue
Country flag
I described it to my wife (who hasn't driven the car as much) as this: imagine you are driving over over these bumps riding on a trampoline.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Bouncy term is difficult for readers to know what the true problem is. The road or the car. I viewed as hard shocks and suspension. It can also mean oscillating up and down. My GT has hard shocks and I feel every bump pothole railroad tracks. It’s very nice on smooth flat roads. The engage drive mode is little softer than whisper and unbridle modes. Tire pressure recommended is 39 so I have not changed this. Once driven the monitor showed 43-45 normally. I did take mine back to the dealer to check and they said normal nothing wrong. I have a recording of my car over a bad bridge that you can see how bad the shocks are, pretty much followed the pavement. The bridge engineers should be fired. Bottom line is the Mach E looks beautiful has good drive performance but lacks comfort ride. Please provide feedback.
The suspension in the GT does not change at all when you change the drive mode. If you feel a difference, you are imagining it. Only the GTPE has an active suspension that changes based on drive mode.

None of the MMEs are capable of a comfort ride. I don't think there is any suspension change, or modification that will change that fact. Except for maybe better Magneride programming, all other models will have to deal with a sporty ride.

That said, shock damping can be better. Based on the post Mark started regarding the rear shocks, the bounce effect can definitely be improved. I just replaced my rear shocks with the Koni's Mark "designed" and there is a definite improvement. But the ride is still sporty. Which considering we all own a Mustang, that should not be a surprise.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The suspension in the GT does not change at all when you change the drive mode. If you feel a difference, you are imagining it. Only the GTPE has an active suspension that changes based on drive mode.
I will add though that while the (non GTPE) suspension itself doesn't change depending on drive mode, regen, throttle response, and steering of course all do and those can make the car feel sufficiently different that to some it seems as though the suspension has changed... To my wife if I'm driving in Unbridle, especially on twisties, the car feels bouncier even though the suspension is identical in each drive mode... I think it's primarily from the combination of the increased throttle response and regen.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will add though that while the (non GTPE) suspension itself doesn't change depending on drive mode, regen, throttle response, and steering of course all do and those can make the car feel sufficiently different that to some it seems as though the suspension has changed... To my wife if I'm driving in Unbridle, especially on twisties, the car feels bouncier even though the suspension is identical in each drive mode... I think it's primarily from the combination of the increased throttle response and regen.
I can see where someone might conflate those things, but it is possible to drive exactly the same way in unbridled and whisper, if you manage the go-pedal appropriately. Anyway, we know the suspension is passive in all but the GTPE.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I can see where someone might conflate those things, but it is possible to drive exactly the same way in unbridled and whisper, if you manage the go-pedal appropriately. Anyway, we know the suspension is passive in all but the GTPE.
Agree 100%. (I guess I don't manage the go-pedal appropriately! 🤣)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Holdem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I just purchased a 2023 GT and I wish I’d done more research. I test drove it extensively near the dealer but after one week I’m ready to take the hit and trade it in. I drove a leased Jag I-pace for three years, loved it, but was excited when I picked the Mach-e as my new vehicle.

My issue is like I’ve seen in some posts here (I’m new on this forum). The car drives like a dream on smooth asphalt roads, drives like a sporty car on not so smooth asphalt…but once I get on a concrete road (highway or surface road) and at low speed or higher…the car bounces like I’m in a bouncy seat..riding the waves of the road. It’s so bad I have to find alternative routes to avoid concrete roads. Passengers get “seasick“.

It looks like many responses are saying this is a “normal” feature of the design and there is nothing to do to mitigate it.

is this true?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just purchased a 2023 GT and I wish I’d done more research. I test drove it extensively near the dealer but after one week I’m ready to take the hit and trade it in. I drove a leased Jag I-pace for three years, loved it, but was excited when I picked the Mach-e as my new vehicle.

My issue is like I’ve seen in some posts here (I’m new on this forum). The car drives like a dream on smooth asphalt roads, drives like a sporty car on not so smooth asphalt…but once I get on a concrete road (highway or surface road) and at low speed or higher…the car bounces like I’m in a bouncy seat..riding the waves of the road. It’s so bad I have to find alternative routes to avoid concrete roads. Passengers get “seasick“.

It looks like many responses are saying this is a “normal” feature of the design and there is nothing to do to mitigate it.

is this true?
There is a thread on changing the rear shocks . They say it helps and I will see if my independent shop can do it for me.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ar-shocks-reducing-the-bouncy-rear-end.26609/

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

is this true?
Join the club

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Oh, that balance is very normal, and it will get worse as the tires age as well due to the weight of the battery, and the lack of suspension travel. The suspension just can't work well enough due to the length of travel, and the capabilities of the suspension itself. Until car companies can reduce the battery weight by half or size by half. Whatever you decide I think about here battery powered cars are always gonna be bouncy little go carts. On long trips, I wear a kidney belt

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Koni is looking for Mach-E owners in the Cincinnati area to develop shocks for our cars.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Car-SUV/Contact-(1)/

I contacted Koni today and explained what we have done here on the forum to try to improve the ride on the MME and tame the bounce. I explained I had built up 5 sets of their yellow sport adjustable rebound rear shocks and sent out to owners all over the US to test out and all have had favorable reviews. I told them that these shocks (their adjustable yellow sport model) would help many owners achieve a better ride. I also let them know I messaged 11 members from this forum that live in Cincinnati about this project they are working on and if they did not hear anything within the next couple of weeks, I have more members in Ohio that live not far from Cincinnati I would contact.

I did explain that there are two different ride heights on the Mach-E. All models except GT and the GT which is .5" lower. Also that their shocks would not apply to the GTPE since it has the Magneride suspension.

I sent them this thread that Jeremy started on the bouncy ride which has over 1300 replies and 130,000 views and my thread on building up their Koni yellow sport shocks which is less than 2 months old that has 480 replies and over 30,000 views. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ar-shocks-reducing-the-bouncy-rear-end.26609/

I am very excited for this project to get started and hopefully will not be too long from them to bring something to market.
Sponsored

Last edited: