notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've had my 22 GT for about a month now and have been having a blast with it. Last night, while I slept, it seems that my car went into a "deep sleep mode" (according to the Ford app) and when I tried to start it this morning it was dead, even though it was plugged into the L2 charger. Key fobs didn't wake it up, unplugging/plugging in the L2 charger didn't do anything.

I'm now charging up my RV battery so I can pop the frunk and get a jump on the 12v battery, but WTF? How/why would the 12v battery discharge WHILE PLUGGED INTO the L2 charger?

Is there a "procedure" to recharge the onboard 12v battery correctly now that it's dead?

I received the 4.1.2 update earlier this week, but that was several days/nights ago so I won't cast shade on the update yet. ;)

So, is this a "common" or "expected" experience? Would it be worth it to call the dealership so they can keep track of these instances? If @Ford Motor Company is listening, is there any data you want from my car, once I get it back online?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, is this a "common" or "expected" experience? Would it be worth it to call the dealership so they can keep track of these instances? If @Ford Motor Company is listening, is there any data you want from my car, once I get it back online?
I hate to say this but I think this is the first Iā€™ve heard of this type of failure. There is a thread on reconditioning the 12v agm battery. If I find it before someone else does Iā€™ll post the link.

To me this is an issue for the dealer. Why did the 12v go dead?

Last edited:
OP
OP

notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I hate to say this but I think this is tte first Iā€™ve heard this type of failure. There is a thread on reconditioning tye 12v agm battery. If I find it before someone else does Iā€™ll post the link.

To me this is an issue for the dealer. Why did the 12v go dead?
Wow, so I'm the lucky winner of a "new issue"? :)

Thanks all, I've got the car open (left the frunk and door open) and it's re-connected to the L2 charger. I'll check out the thread regarding the 12v battery.

Thanks!

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Do you have any aftermarket accessories that draw power? I've heard that these can drain the 12V battery sometimes.

OP
OP

notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
OK, here is exactly what happened.
I had received the 4.1.2 update on Wed and Thursday night I went out to get familiar with the updated layout and features.
While I was in the car (with it turned on) I had set the lights from Auto to manual running lights.
After I got out, I did not realize the lights were still on. By 2:44 AM (based on the garage camera I have) the running lights turned off because, I assume, the 12v battery had fully drained.

So, this is 100% user error from a "messing around and leaving the lights on" perspective, I totally own that. ;) I feel an appropriate amount of shame for this. :D

From a true usability standpoint, I really don't understand how a plugged in car would allow this to happen, but then again I'm not an EV engineer.

Sorry for the spam everyone.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
OK, here is exactly what happened.
I had received the 4.1.2 update on Wed and Thursday night I went out to get familiar with the updated layout and features.
While I was in the car (with it turned on) I had set the lights from Auto to manual running lights.
After I got out, I did not realize the lights were still on. By 2:44 AM (based on the garage camera I have) the running lights turned off because, I assume, the 12v battery had fully drained.

So, this is 100% user error from a "messing around and leaving the lights on" perspective, I totally own that. ;) I feel an appropriate amount of shame for this. :D

From a true usability standpoint, I really don't understand how a plugged in car would allow this to happen, but then again I'm not an EV engineer.

Sorry for the spam everyone.
There used to be a bug that would switch the headlights from auto to ON without anyone touching the dial. I thought they fixed that, and since yours is new it would have the fix, but just FYI.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There used to be a bug that would switch the headlights from auto to ON without anyone touching the dial. I thought they fixed that, and since yours is new it would have the fix, but just FYI.
The headlight switch bug was supposed to have a fix, but the target release date kept moving. It is not yet fixed. The target date is now ā€œsoon.ā€ Whatever soon means. šŸ¤”šŸ©

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I'm really shocked (well, given how bad Ford software engineers are, not REALLY shocked), that they either don't have a (when in park mode) 'lights off' timer or a 'lights off when 12V is below X%'. Or, hell, how about a 'Lights are on, make sure I keep supplying power from the HVB'.

Anything would be better than, "Sucks to be you for being dumb and leaving your lights on"!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The headlight switch bug was supposed to have a fix, but the target release date kept moving. It is not yet fixed. The target date is now ā€œsoon.ā€ Whatever soon means. šŸ¤”šŸ©
Ya know, Iā€™ve had my car 2 years and 20,000 miles and never had the headlight switch problem. Dealer updated me to 4.1.2 Wednesday, and Thursday night (yesterday) it happened. Coincidence???

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
As long as the car is charging, the DC-DC converter is powering the LV circuits and maintaining the LVB. When charging ends, the car is keyed-off and the LVB is on its own, otherwise the HVB would discharge, albeit slowly. No different than leaving the lights on in an ICE, FYI.

Personally, I am in the habit of spinning the Light switch to off, right after powering down just to avoid any headlight problems. It defaults to Auto at key-on.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Ya know, Iā€™ve had my car 2 years and 20,000 miles and never had the headlight switch problem. Dealer updated me to 4.1.2 Wednesday, and Thursday night (yesterday) it happened. Coincidence???
I have had it happen twice in 14 months. Well, really the last time was the beginning of last summer. Every once in a while I turn the switch off and back to auto so that the register doesnā€™t overflow. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s coming with the frunk release šŸ˜‰

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I'm really shocked (well, given how bad Ford software engineers are, not REALLY shocked), that they either don't have a (when in park mode) 'lights off' timer or a 'lights off when 12V is below X%'. Or, hell, how about a 'Lights are on, make sure I keep supplying power from the HVB'.

Anything would be better than, "Sucks to be you for being dumb and leaving your lights on"!
My Probe featured automatic lights off - I think it was called ā€œbattery saverā€. Apparently, they had superior technology back in the 80s šŸ˜€
Sponsored