notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
As long as the car is charging, the DC-DC converter is powering the LV circuits and maintaining the LVB. When charging ends, the car is keyed-off and the LVB is on its own, otherwise the HVB would discharge, albeit slowly. No different than leaving the lights on in an ICE, FYI.
Totally agree that in an ICE car, the battery would have gone dead due to my bone-headedness. However, given the car was plugged into an L2 charger, I would expect the GT to behave like an ICE car that is connected to a battery charger. i.e. the battery would keep charging even though the lights are on.

Naturally this didn't happen, and I'm _sure_ there are some super reasonable, deeply technical, reasons why this is impossible to implement. But to a simple computer engineer, it seems like odd behavior. ;)
Sponsored

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
My Probe featured automatic lights off - I think it was called “battery saver”. Apparently, they had superior technology back in the 80s 😀
Don't get me started on all the things that are a clear step back on my Mach E compared to my previous cars...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Headlights should have shut off on the timer, that's a programming failure.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Headlights should have shut off on the timer, that's a programming failure.
Well they do, but he'd manually commanded them on. Are you suggesting auto > manual > auto anyway?

Sometimes the owner must assume responsibility for their actions...

OP
OP

notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Well they do, but he'd manually commanded them on. Are you suggesting auto > manual > auto anyway?

100% true I manually commanded them on (like a silly person) and the auto-turnoff should not have triggered.

What I think _should_ have happened is that when the car noticed my lights were on, the 12v battery was getting low, and that the L2 charger was plugged in, the car would re-start charging to keep the 12v battery charged. I'd wake up to a bunch of alerts from the car noting my silliness of leaving the lights on, but I would be able to open my car door and shut them off. ;)

As it stands, I fully accept my responsibility here and have been reminded about the lesson of leaving my lights on. ;)

Thanks all!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Totally agree that in an ICE car, the battery would have gone dead due to my bone-headedness. However, given the car was plugged into an L2 charger, I would expect the GT to behave like an ICE car that is connected to a battery charger. i.e. the battery would keep charging even though the lights are on.
The 12V battery is only charged while the high voltage battery is ACTIVELY CHARGING. After charging is complete, everything in the car goes to sleep. It does not work like an ICE battery charger.

If the 12V battery gets very low it's supposed to wake up and recharge, but sometimes a charge fault prevents that from happening. If you get any kind of charge faults it's important to solve them so this doesn't happen again.

OP
OP

notjjsb

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Country flag
The 12V battery is only charged while the high voltage battery is ACTIVELY CHARGING. After charging is complete, everything in the car goes to sleep. It does not work like an ICE battery charger.

If the 12V battery gets very low it's supposed to wake up and recharge, but sometimes a charge fault prevents that from happening. If you get any kind of charge faults it's important to solve them so this doesn't happen again.
So the car is _supposed_ to note the 12v battery is low and restart charging? For sure that didn't happen. No charging faults reported by the car or charger either....

Intriguing....

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I was out last night and tried to start the car from FordPass to warm it up. It wouldn't start and I got that "deep sleep" message in FP. I was a little stressed that the car would be dead, but everything worked fine. This morning my car did not condition as usual per my schedule. I am on 4.1.2 since 1/19 but this is my first sign of issues. Hoping for nothing worse

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've had my 22 GT for about a month now and have been having a blast with it. Last night, while I slept, it seems that my car went into a "deep sleep mode" (according to the Ford app) and when I tried to start it this morning it was dead, even though it was plugged into the L2 charger. Key fobs didn't wake it up, unplugging/plugging in the L2 charger didn't do anything.

I'm now charging up my RV battery so I can pop the frunk and get a jump on the 12v battery, but WTF? How/why would the 12v battery discharge WHILE PLUGGED INTO the L2 charger?

Is there a "procedure" to recharge the onboard 12v battery correctly now that it's dead?

I received the 4.1.2 update earlier this week, but that was several days/nights ago so I won't cast shade on the update yet. ;)

So, is this a "common" or "expected" experience? Would it be worth it to call the dealership so they can keep track of these instances? If @Ford Motor Company is listening, is there any data you want from my car, once I get it back online?

Thanks all!
I had a similar issue - my 22 GT (Feb 22 build) had a charge fault the other night and then the LVB bled dry while on the charger, leading to the same issue you mentioned - a dead car. Perhaps 4.1.2 introduced some power management bugs? When I did manage to jump/reboot the car, I got a "power train" error and took it to the dealer where it currently sits. I'm curious if you'll see a similar error when you start your car again.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

That's what happened to me - a charge fault that resulted in a dead LVB. What usually causes charge faults? I'm hoping it's not the hvbjb issue, but it was charging "fine" until after 2 hours it faulted.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Even on my 12yo Lexus if I leave the lights in the manual "on" position they'll turn off when I lock the car from the outside.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I just tried your scenario in my 2022 GT. Car plugged into L2 and 90% charged per my schedule. Turned lights on manually, closed and locked door and left. Promptly at 10 minutes the lights shut off, just like every other Ford I have owned. You might have some other gremlins happening.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I just tried your scenario in my 2022 GT. Car plugged into L2 and 90% charged per my schedule. Turned lights on manually, closed and locked door and left. Promptly at 10 minutes the lights shut off, just like every other Ford I have owned. You might have some other gremlins happening.
Exactly my point earlier in the thread.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Do you have the 4.1.2 update?