Car won't start, lots of error messages.

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Friday morning the remote start would not work. I tried sending the order via FordPass a few times with no success.

It was quite cold -15C (5F), the car was on the charger. Every time I tried to start with FordPass the lights flashed. During the last test, the charging indicator on the car turned red.

I unplugged the car and tried to start it. It didn't work and all the error codes came through one after the other. Watch video (sorry the display is in French)

I thought it was a 12V problem. But CarScanner says it's 83%.

Surprisingly, the HV battery is very cold -10C. However, the day before I saw the message preparing to drive in FordPass which normally indicates that the battery remains above 0C.

I tried to plug in the charger, but immediately the charging lights turned red.

I closed everything, locked the doors and waited 5 minutes. New tests and still the same.

Two hours later, the towing arrives. It is possible to put the car on N despite all the error codes.

The dealership doesn't have time Friday to look at the car before it closes for the weekend.

Saturday morning I go to the dealership's yard to collect personal effects from the car. It's warmer, 3C. For fun I'm trying to start it. It starts as if nothing had happened... No error codes!! Car Scanner even indicates that the 12V is now at 92% instead of 83% the day before??

Curious to know if any error codes have been logged in the car. Is it a cold problem? A problem with the charger in the car? A problem with the charging station? A simple Software bug?

The day before the car received 24-PU0102-CHG-SUFX. And it worked well during the day.

I'm a little afraid that the dealer will tell me that he can't find the problem...

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Curious to know more about where / how you were charging.

I had a similar issue two weeks ago at a Flo L2 charger when it was below zero (-13c and -3c if I remember). Each time I tried to remote start or set a departure time to precondition I would get a charge fault. Not a normal one, I would get Service Vehicle Soon. The SVS message stayed until I cycled the car on and off (turn car off, open and close doors, wait 5 minutes). One night I drove home without clearing the SVS and the car would not let me charge at home until I cycled the car.

Still have no idea what would cause the car to throw a SVS message when all I'm doing is charging on L2.

I have not tried to recreate the condition on a different L2 network (like ChargePoint) so I still have no idea why it acted the way it did. But that Flo charger did not like remote starts.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’d be curious to know what the actual voltage on the 12V battery was when it wouldn’t start. Because it sounds exactly like a low 12V battery that was cold. Even a poor 12V battery will perform better when warm, so maybe the slight warm up got the voltage up enough to make the car happy. Had you not driven in a while. Slightly dead 12V that hadn’t been maintained in a while plus cold 12V?

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Curious to know more about where / how you were charging.

I had a similar issue two weeks ago at a Flo L2 charger when it was below zero (-13c and -3c if I remember). Each time I tried to remote start or set a departure time to precondition I would get a charge fault.
It's a Flo G2 at home. I am currently testing it with the loaned Mach E. But I doubt that Flo is the problem.

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Curious to know if any error codes have been logged in the car. Is it a cold problem? A problem with the charger in the car? A problem with the charging station? A simple Software bug?/QUOTE]

Look at your error codes with your CarScanner.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I’d be curious to know what the actual voltage on the 12V battery was when it wouldn’t start. Because it sounds exactly like a low 12V battery that was cold. Even a poor 12V battery will perform better when warm, so maybe the slight warm up got the voltage up enough to make the car happy. Had you not driven in a while. Slightly dead 12V that hadn’t been maintained in a while plus cold 12V?
The 12V was at 11.1 volts when the problem appeared. I use the car almost every day. And I very often monitor the 12v with Car Scanner. His condition is generally still OK.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Look at you error codes with your CarScanner.
The car is currently at the dealership. I didn't think about doing it before it leaving on towing. I'm going to go there later today to look at the codes with Car Scanner.

OP
OP
Matstar

Matstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
So finally the dealer tells me that they have to change the BECM

But it is not certain if Ford will ask them to also change the HVBJB as well.

As there is a recall on my car, I hope so!
Sponsored