Carplay GPS issues

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
This is the design of the MME itself. You really need to place the phone around and see what works best for you. Do keep in mind that GPS is coming in through the windows only (as are cell signals). Radio waves are photons. Plastics and fiberglass are mostly transparent to them, metal blocks them.
Sponsored

L4z3rUsLOng

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER Prem
Country flag
This is a long standing problem with Sync 3 and Sync 4. When the phone is connected via CarPlay, it takes the gps signal from Sync and not it’s own location tracking. On sync 3 you could switch to Waze without CarPlay, and see that Waze had no problem with the in phone location services. It required using usb and mobile apps directly. This is not an issue with Android devices since they don’t appear to use the in car gps. @Ford Motor Company i have suffered with this problem on 4 separate vehicles now going back to 2017.

Deleted member 16048

Hi

Having issues with wireless Carplay and using apple maps, google maps, waze etc.

All the map apps on Carplay basically put me on roads I am not on, in fields etc, way way way out and then will have a complete hissy fit, never locking on and reporting my location incorrectly 95% of the time, a reboot, repair, toggle of location settings on the iphone 12 (latest iOS) sometimes fixes it but this is something I shouldnt need to be doing to get it to work.

Native sat nav works fine on sync4a (again the latest updated version) and andriod auto works fine with google maps, waze etc.

Seems to be an issue with no answer
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253743831

Anyone else having this and know a solution? It odd theat Apple Carplay is doing this as generally speaking Apple apps, functions are more stable than android auto but not in this case.

You need to reset Location Services on your iPhone. It's interfering. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn it off, then back on again. This purges all location data and reset.

Note: This will also clear significant locations, so some Siri Suggestions may need time to re-populate.

Former Apple Genius, this is generally the first step of troubleshooting this the right way.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I havent tried via USB, i will give it a go but thats not really the point, it should work via wifi and i shouldnt need to faff about with it like i am.

Went out to the car earlier and its okay at the moment, i have deleted my andriod phone from the car, maybe that was causing the problem, who knows. Missus driving the car tomorrow so will see if okay or not
Yes, I get that. It was just a troubleshooting suggestion.

OP
OP

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Mustang GT, Mach E AWD premium 23
Country flag
A lot of contradiction going on, if CarPlay utilises the inbuilt cars GPS antenna clearly it matters not where the phone itself is?
Anyway it isn’t the phones position as I’ve already stated maps etc works fine on the iPhone in the car when it’s NOT connected to sync4a/CarPlay.

I’ve reset location services on the iPhone, done all that, deleted phone from the car and deleted the connections on the iPhone, rebooted, latest software on both iPhone and car, done it all!

Fairly frustrating to say the least. I have emailed Ford but aren’t hopeful they will provide a solution.