Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I would like to remind users that both the 1772 plug and MME socket have temp sensors for protection. But also, many EVSE units have temp sensors internal and if on wall plugs, in the plug. A simple IR temperature device will tell you where to look. And if you are using a 110 supply, make sure to use a spec outlet, not a normal residential receptacle. The contacts in a spec grade have stronger tension for the plug blades. And the wires on the back are fastened with screws, not push pins. High resistance makes heat. And your 110 EVSE draws 1500 watts or more.
Earlier in this thread was mentioned a blackening of the receptacle. That is a indication of a high load and arcing inside the receptacle. definitely one to replace.
Sponsored

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
JuiceBox changed their app. It’s now “Enel X” You need to download the new and start from new in clouding unpairing the charger. But the charger may be screwed too. I when through this for 2 weeks and now they’re sending me a new box.

I have been having the same problem with my old style Juice-Pro 40 Amp unit since late January. I did everything that Enel-X tech support asked me to try, but it still will not work. The Ford supplied unit works fine. I am still in warranty through the end of February.. How did you finally get them to ship you a new unit?

Jim

illusan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
See my posts previously on this chain. There have been a number of faulty charger ports in the MME and the F150. Those ports would shut down as you described. In my case it was on a level 2 charger. The dealer could not replicate it on the FOrd mobile charger. That being said, once replaced, my car has been charging normally.
Before Ford changed your charger port, did you try any public level 2 stations? If so, did they consistently fail? I'm trying to build a case for a repair, but I was able to start a charge session on a public Volta level 2 charger. I'll try a few more, to see if any patterns become apparent.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had this problem and Ford finally changed out the charger port on the car.

The ford supplied EVSE only charges at 32 amps and it would work. But my 40A Juice Box or DCFC charging would not work at all.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
My 2023 has been home two months.

I've been using an Emporia charger without issue. All the scheduling is happening in the car. It's worked fine, save one time over the weekend when it stopped charging at 85% instead of 90%. But yesterday, after a 180 mile trip, I had to futz with things to get it to charge.

I plugged in the charger about 5 hours after I got home (i.e., nothing would have been 'hot') and the lights on the charge plug went from white to blue to off. Ford Pass showed "Charging Paused". I tried to unplug/replug, no help. I turned the car on went to the charging settings to confirm they were still there (they were) and I turned the car off and unplugged/replugged and then it worked last night.

The Emporia is not showing anything different than it has been showing all along -i.e. the status lights aren't any different, it's showing 'ready to charge' in the app.

There's no information in Ford Pass or the Ford site that suggests it sees anything amiss.

Obviously this is a sample of one, but this has been working just fine until now. I'm not looking forward to getting into a finger pointing exercise with the dealership.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What time did you plug it in, and do you have a scheduled start time/max charging% setting for charging set up with your Mach-E?

Mine is set to start charging at 11:00PM and charge to 90%.

If I plug it in at 6:00 PM, the charging lights go from white to blue and the EVSE starts up for a few seconds. Then the lights go out at the charging port until 11:0PM.

Every now and then mine will stop charging at 85% as well. No idea why.....

Jim

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
My schedule is to start at midnight and charge to 90%. I normally plug in around 8:30 pm, I did plug in a bit earlier when I had the episode described.

With a sample size of one, last night went fine.

Paulh

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E premium RWD ER
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
So UK owner here and came across this thread I have had my MME since May and a 7.4kw BG Sync EV charger (40amp fuse) was installed at home the same time everything has been fine with charging car over night or in day if needed until it seems I had a 4.2.4 update on my car last week. since then the max charge I have been able to put in my car is 15-20% before the ford app comes up with charge station paused. planning on taking to local charge point today as I have a long drive tomorrow. can see no errors in the bg sync app and no error notifications to say a fault BG app just seems to think the car either has a full battery or the in-car timer is on. if i pull it out and plug in again starts all fine but does the charge pause thing again after a number of hours. As far as I can determine the only things that have changed since this started happening is I connected the car to my home wifi and it did some updates. will see how it goes on a public chager later. ...update I have had it on the home charge this morning its charged for 3h and then same issue. pull out port on car and plugged back in and starts charging fine again.

Last edited:

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So UK owner here and came across this thread I have had my MME since May and a 7.4kw BG Sync EV charger (40amp fuse) was installed at home the same time everything has been fine with charging car over night or in day if needed until it seems I had a 4.2.4 update on my car last week. since then the max charge I have been able to put in my car is 15-20% before the ford app comes up with charge station paused. planning on taking to local charge point today as I have a long drive tomorrow. can see no errors in the bg sync app and no error notifications to say a fault BG app just seems to think the car either has a full battery or the in-car timer is on. if i pull it out and plug in again starts all fine but does the charge pause thing again after a number of hours. As far as I can determine the only things that have changed since this started happening is I connected the car to my home wifi and it did some updates. will see how it goes on a public chager later. ...update I have had it on the home charge this morning its charged for 3h and then same issue. pull out port on car and plugged back in and starts charging fine again.

When it stops, is the EVSE or the handle that connects to your Mach-E very warm?

It may be a heat issue. That was the problem with my car. Ford ended up replacing the cable from the charging port to the onboard charger.

Just a thought. Hope you can get it fixed!

Jim

Paulh

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
When it stops, is the EVSE or the handle that connects to your Mach-E very warm?

It may be a heat issue. That was the problem with my car. Ford ended up replacing the cable from the charging port to the onboard charger.

Just a thought. Hope you can get it fixed!

Jim
Hi Jim thanks for the heads up I havent noticed it being over warm but I have been keeping an eye on it as max charge today was for 2 hours 50 mins before it paused. i powered off the home circuit the charger is on rebooted the EV charger to check that. intrestingly after I reconnected the car and sat in it to check it was charging, when i went back inside the app reported that I would need to drive the car to recconect to the app. seems to be the car that has the issue rather than the charger havent had a chance to try a public charger yet to see if the same happens but will put a call into ford to get it looked at. currently trying to put a enough into the car for the 180m round trip tomorrow. :)

Paulh

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
So after a lot of tests and remote recalibrations of the charger BGsync eventually offfered to supply a replacement charger which the electrician swapped over a few weeks ago and which seems to be slightly different and also using a different app (Monta). So far all has been fine again. I did notice after a couple of OTA updates the previous charger got less problematic but no one could tell me exactly what the issue was with the previous charger which was only a few months old.
Sponsored