Charge Station Fault when using a J1772 Extension Cable when preconditioning the MME

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I recently purchased a J1772 Extension cable (link to the exact one is below) to use with my Grizzl-e EVSE. The Grizzl-e has been great with my MME the past 18 months or so, but I recently also bought a 2023 F-150 Lightning that I need to charge outside of my garage. The extension cable works great when charging my Lightning and, at first, it worked fine with charging the MME. However, lately, every time I use the extension cable with the MME, Fordpass alerts me to a Charge Station Fault in the app, even though the EVSE still seems to be charging the MME. Anyone have any thought on why this might be? Is it possible the additional load when preconditioning is more than the cable can handle?

The cable I have is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VWWDMNV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Don't know unless you read the SOBDM codes or send your VIN.

Sure you're clicking it in all the way?

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't know unless you read the SOBDM codes or send your VIN.

Sure you're clicking it in all the way?
I am definitely clicking it in all the way. My VIN is 3FMTK3SU2MMA08219 if you are able to look something up that helps to pinpoint what is happening here.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I am definitely clicking it in all the way. My VIN is 3FMTK3SU2MMA08219 if you are able to look something up that helps to pinpoint what is happening here.
Ignore my previous post, I didn't read the whole code carefully. You have a P0D56:64 code which means signal plausibility failure. This occurs when the car senses the pilot signal from the EVSE, but does not see the proximity signal from the J1772 handle. This could be due to a bad connection with the plug, or a faulty unit. The proximity signal is a loop through the J1772 handle that tells the car it's connected, and is affected by whether or not the release button is pressed down. A bad resistor or connection in the switch could cause it.

Not sure how handy you are, but you can take some resistance (Ω) measurements of the handle to test it if you want?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Maybe the onboard charger is not liking the voltage drop it's seeing from the extension cord?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Maybe the onboard charger is not liking the voltage drop it's seeing from the extension cord?
That's possible but usually it will drops the amps and continue charging at a reduced rate without setting a fault. The voltage would have to be less than 148V to set a fault, which would be one hell of a voltage drop.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ignore my previous post, I didn't read the whole code carefully. You have a P0D56:64 code which means signal plausibility failure. This occurs when the car senses the pilot signal from the EVSE, but does not see the proximity signal from the J1772 handle. This could be due to a bad connection with the plug, or a faulty unit. The proximity signal is a loop through the J1772 handle that tells the car it's connected, and is affected by whether or not the release button is pressed down. A bad resistor or connection in the switch could cause it.

Not sure how handy you are, but you can take some resistance (Ω) measurements of the handle to test it if you want?
Thank you! That is super helpful. I don't have the a multimeter in hand presently, but can pick one up at some point. Any risk of damage to the MME or the EVSE in this situation?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thank you! That is super helpful. I don't have the a multimeter in hand presently, but can pick one up at some point. Any risk of damage to the MME or the EVSE in this situation?
The only risk would be while unplugging, with an inoperative proximity loop the car doesn't know you're about to unplug. The load on the circuit needs to to be zero before unplugging otherwise an arc can occur as the plug disconnects. When you press the J1772 release button you should hear the EVSE click off, if not don't unplug and stop charging a different way.

I don't think it will allow charging without the proximity signal however?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Sounds like the extension cord is faulty?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Sounds like the extension cord is faulty?
Yeah, it would be a problem with the circuit inside the J1772 on the extension cord. Those no-name Chinese brands aren't exactly made to quality specs.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recently purchased a J1772 Extension cable (link to the exact one is below) to use with my Grizzl-e EVSE. The Grizzl-e has been great with my MME the past 18 months or so, but I recently also bought a 2023 F-150 Lightning that I need to charge outside of my garage. The extension cable works great when charging my Lightning and, at first, it worked fine with charging the MME. However, lately, every time I use the extension cable with the MME, Fordpass alerts me to a Charge Station Fault in the app, even though the EVSE still seems to be charging the MME. Anyone have any thought on why this might be? Is it possible the additional load when preconditioning is more than the cable can handle?

The cable I have is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VWWDMNV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I agree with the others and sounds like it might be the circuit or switch inside the J1772. For what it's worth, I've been using an aftermarket extension for months (actually replaced my original EVSE cord with it) and so have two friends of mine, one with a Mach-E, one with a Lightning. We haven't had any issues and while it probably is a product from China, it feels and works like a quality piece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821HJMJB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 This is the 40ft one I have but there is also a 20ft version.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
That's possible but usually it will drops the amps and continue charging at a reduced rate without setting a fault. The voltage would have to be less than 148V to set a fault, which would be one hell of a voltage drop.
Wow, didn't know the set point was that low.
Sponsored