Charger Fault Error

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
I think I am having a charge cable issue. Car appears to be fixed after they reprogrammed things, but a couple times a week I get a charge fault that goes away if I unplug the cable from the car and wall and then replug it in.
Sponsored

fawzma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
alfa romeo
Country flag
Same issues with mine. mobile charger worked great from April to up until a month or so ago.

Took the car in to get the software recalls taken care of in September, then started having the constant faults. I tried calling ford line, but would get hung up on at various points of the call. Local dealer never heard of anything like this. Although I'm only 1 of 2 people who have this car around here.

Oddly enough the 110 side seemed to work. Then after a week of not being able to keep up with the charge, switched back over to 220, and seems to be ok for a few days.

My ultimate solution was to get a grizzle power supply. Been working great since, and much faster.

Now I'm just waiting for a recall on the mobile chargers and the screen buzz ;)

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
Will probably upgrade to an aftermarket charger as well. One thing I noticed is that the Ford mobile charger starts flashing amber indicating it's starting to overheat and it's in the 40s in my garage. At best this is slowing down my charging....

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you are having issues, first make sure the plug connector is fully seated in the charger housing until it is perfectly flush:

Not having the plug fully seated can cause charging to stop and overheating to occur.

If you continue to get the flashing amber light after reseating the plug, your outlet might be the cause. A worn/loose outlet or bad connections inside will cause the plug to overheat. When you insert the plug, it should require a firm push. You might need to replace your outlet with a new one, or tighten the wires on the back if the screws have worked loose.

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
Yeah been through all that. It's flush and the wall plug is brand new. So new it's hard to push in so definitely making good contact. Checked all the connections in the plug as well and they are all torqued properly.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah been through all that. It's flush and the wall plug is brand new. So new it's hard to push in so definitely making good contact. Checked all the connections in the plug as well and they are all torqued properly.
Sounds like it’s time for a new charger then if you’ve been through all that.

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
Identical to my issues. I have now had 3 days without error. I have to unplug charger from wall then plug back in after the error to get it to start working. I have not had time to contact concierge. Let me know if you find something out and I will do the same.

thanks
We got the new replacement charger in yesterday. Used it last night, charged the car faster than the previous one. Full charge by morning, plugged in around 10p normally still charging at 830-9 when i leave for work.

Side note, I compared the back info on both of them. The one with issues says made in China, the new one says made in Mexico. Not sure if this is a telltale of issue or not or just a bad charger....

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Been having this issue since last night.

Used to have a Tesla, sold it for the MachE, still using the Tesla wall connector (60a breaker) with a 60a Tesla tap. Worked perfectly for a month. Charged for about an hour or so last night then nothing. Now it won't charge anymore. It will connect, think about it for a second then do the amber lights and stop.

Anyone run into anything similar?

stratigary

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
Been having this issue since last night.

Used to have a Tesla, sold it for the MachE, still using the Tesla wall connector (60a breaker) with a 60a Tesla tap. Worked perfectly for a month. Charged for about an hour or so last night then nothing. Now it won't charge anymore. It will connect, think about it for a second then do the amber lights and stop.

Anyone run into anything similar?
Not exactly the same, but similar issue. I have a Chargepoint EVSE and it worked for months charging my car @48A on a 60A breaker until one day it stopped. Sometimes it will charge for a few minutes or up to 30 minutes before it just stops. No error code on charger or car.

If you’re able to (not familiar with Tesla chargers). Lower the current to 32A and see what happens. Mine will charge at 32A and lower now, but no higher. I have been trying to sort out the issue since November.

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Not exactly the same, but similar issue. I have a Chargepoint EVSE and it worked for months charging my car @48A on a 60A breaker until one day it stopped. Sometimes it will charge for a few minutes or up to 30 minutes before it just stops. No error code on charger or car.

If you’re able to (not familiar with Tesla chargers). Lower the current to 32A and see what happens. Mine will charge at 32A and lower now, but no higher. I have been trying to sort out the issue since November.
Thanks for the info. Just got the ford charger installed today. I will give that a go.

Welp, that didn't work. I'm going to just have to take it into Ford, I guess. Thanks for the rec

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Interesting, you two are the first I've seen having the repeated charge fault issue on anything other than the Ford mobile charger

HutchRed

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
Interesting, you two are the first I've seen having the repeated charge fault issue on anything other than the Ford mobile charger
I wonder if something broke with an update. Everything was great for a month then an hour into a charge it just wouldn't ever get 15 seconds past the handshake.

Can charge on level 3 tho.

stratigary

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
I wonder if something broke with an update. Everything was great for a month then an hour into a charge it just wouldn't ever get 15 seconds past the handshake.

Can charge on level 3 tho.
My issue started after an update as well, but this was back in Sept/Oct. One day I could charge at 48A and then the next day after an update I could only charge at 32A. I do think I might have an idea what is causing my issue, it seems that at 48A the temperature at the charging coupler is getting too high while charging. I plugged in an OBD scanner and noticed that at high amps, the AC charging is shutting off as soon as the temp reaches 175deg. At 32A it only ever hits 132deg and DC charging it barely reaches 111deg.

I have contacted Ford through this forum about the issue and they said they're passing on my issue to the EV team so they can contact me, but I haven't heard anything yet.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I get these errors when i get a power outage for a few seconds and my MME is charging. There is nothing wrong with the car. It is the charger protecting the car by shutting off the power during unsafe conditions.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My issue started after an update as well, but this was back in Sept/Oct. One day I could charge at 48A and then the next day after an update I could only charge at 32A. I do think I might have an idea what is causing my issue, it seems that at 48A the temperature at the charging coupler is getting too high while charging. I plugged in an OBD scanner and noticed that at high amps, the AC charging is shutting off as soon as the temp reaches 175deg. At 32A it only ever hits 132deg and DC charging it barely reaches 111deg.

I have contacted Ford through this forum about the issue and they said they're passing on my issue to the EV team so they can contact me, but I haven't heard anything yet.
This sounds like a temperature issue. Maybe The EV charger software got updated to lower the temps on the cables and handle?
Sponsored