Charger recommendations?

Smack94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select AWD
Hi everyone,

Any suggestions for a reliable home EV charging station? My Mach E should be arriving this fall, and I don’t have that far of a commute so I will be only ever charging at home. I live in Canada where the winters get nice and cold, so preferably something quite tough!

Thanks!
Sponsored

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
If the car and charger will be inside a garage I would stick with the supplied Ford mobile charger that comes with the car. If it is going to be an outside charger I would go with the Grizzl-E charger.

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
Just for the record, the Grizzle-e works great in the states, too. You can charge at 40 amps instead of 32. But if you are doing only 120 volt charging, just use the Ford came-with.

And by the way, the device you’re talking about is called an EVSE. The charger is internal to the vehicle. But some people think that’s too persnickety.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't know what living in Canada has to do with it, unless you're leaving the charger and car outside all the time.

Many threads discuss the pros and cons of various chargers.

I would NOT rely on the Ford Mobile charger for constant usage at your home. There are more than a handful of people on this forum that have had issues with them overheating.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
ChaegePoint Home Flex. The app deratable capability is great, especially for homes with solar. I’ve been in communications with ChargePoint regarding access to their API for control by home automation products like Home Assisrant. When I’m in a grid down situation, I’d like Home Assistant to automatically derate my CPHF to a lower amperage that my solar system can easily accommodate while on backup power.

OP
OP

Smack94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select AWD
I don't know what living in Canada has to do with it, unless you're leaving the charger and car outside all the time.

Many threads discuss the pros and cons of various chargers.

I would NOT rely on the Ford Mobile charger for constant usage at your home. There are more than a handful of people on this forum that have had issues with them overheating.
Yes I forgot to mention the vehicle will be left outside as well as the charger. This past February it was -35C (-31F) almost every day of the month!
Thanks for the advice

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I only mentioned Canada and the Arctic Edition from GrizzlE because THEY are MADE IN CANADA.

I'm sure it would work just fine in other parts of the world too :rolleyes:

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Yes I forgot to mention the vehicle will be left outside as well as the charger. This past February it was -35C (-31F) almost every day of the month!
Thanks for the advice
Parked outside at those temps you will want it plugged in at all times when not in use to maintain battery temps.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
AT -31 I'd have to plug myself in forget the car.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I highly recommend you check out the Youtube channel "State of Charge" by Tom Mologhney. He has numerous, very detailed reviews of every major EVSE on the market. Here is an example of a review he did on the Chargepoint model (see below).

Based on Tom's review, if you live in a very cold climate, the one EVSE that you want to avoid is the Enel Juicebox. For people living in warm climates, the Juicebox is a great EVSE and it is the one I bought for my home (I live in Southern California). However, as part of his test, Tom puts the cable for each EVSE in a freezer. He said that the cable for the Juicebox became very stiff and inflexible when subjected to extreme cold. So he recommended against the Juicebox if you live in a cold climate.

Sponsored