Charging Amp Setting in L2

Dear_OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Horse and Wagon
Just want to do a straw poll on what everyone's setting is when home charging with L2 with a J1772 plug? Is there a laws of diminishing return going for a 40 or 50amp charger? I can't seem to find the charge rate of the MME. All I can see is it can take somewhere between 115kw or 150kw via DCFC.

I am also reading that it is less stress to the electrical system and battery going with 16A, 24A or 32A.
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Just want to do a straw poll on what everyone's setting is when home charging with L2 with a J1772 plug? Is there a laws of diminishing return going for a 40 or 50amp charger? I can't seem to find the charge rate of the MME. All I can see is it can take somewhere between 115kw or 150kw via DCFC.

I am also reading that it is less stress to the electrical system and battery going with 16A, 24A or 32A.
Maximum acceptance rate of the MME is 48A (11.52 kW) The car normally ships with a unit that is fixed at 32A (7.68 kW).

I'm using my old 32A unit from a previous car. It's hardwired. I haven't encountered a need to go higher than that. I've been able to get a full charge overnight without a problem.

The car isn't going to care if it is charged at 12A or 48A on 240V. It sees much higher rates when you brake, or even just take your foot off of the accelerator.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
By normally ships they meant it came with a 32A portable as standard equipment and now it can be ordered as an option. I use an aftermarket unit but also charge at 32 A as I found that to be sufficient. I have a 50 amp breaker so my max would be 40 but why push it.

tbrumleve

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD Standard Range
Country flag
I have a 50A hardwired ChargePoint at 40A.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
50 Amp breaker (wired for 60) using a Hubbel/Bryant Nema 15-40 outlet.

If I hardwired the Emporium L2, it's rated for 48Amps, but only 40 using the outlet.

Regardless, I charge at 32 Amps because my daily consumption is low. Average about 20% on a GTPE.

I target charge to 70% in FordPass and it's been reliable and consistent.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Maximum acceptance rate of the MME is 48A (11.52 kW)
I saw early window stickers say 10.5 kW onboard AC charger. But I've always wondered what the true limits are.

I have two hardwired L2 chargers: one at home that's 40A and one at work that's 48A.

My home charger reports at max 10 kW in the app while charging and I've measured my L2 house voltage at 250VAC, so that makes sense: 10 kW = 250VAC x 40A.

My work charger reports at max 46A in the app while charging and I've measured my L2 work voltage at 208VAC, so that's: 9.568 kW = 208VAC x 46A.

The fact that my work 48A charger maxes out at 46A makes me think the Mach-E's L2 charge limit is 46A. My friend's Tesla Model 3 pulls 48A on he same charger.

So if 46A is the limiting factor and if I could use my work L2 charger at home, would I be able to get: 11.5 kW = 250VAC x 46A? That's the number you mentioned but is 1 kW higher than I've seen Ford mention, but seems logical if your home has 250VAC _and_ your charger can go to 46A.

Just curious. I don't expect you have an answer. Just wondering out loud.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I saw early window stickers say 10.5 kW onboard AC charger. But I've always wondered what the true limits are.

I have two hardwired L2 chargers: one at home that's 40A and one at work that's 48A.

My home charger reports at max 10 kW in the app while charging and I've measured my L2 house voltage at 250VAC, so that makes sense: 10 kW = 250VAC x 40A.

My work charger reports at max 46A in the app while charging and I've measured my L2 work voltage at 208VAC, so that's: 9.568 kW = 208VAC x 46A.

The fact that my work 48A charger maxes out at 46A makes me think the Mach-E's L2 charge limit is 46A. My friend's Tesla Model 3 pulls 48A on he same charger.

So if 46A is the limiting factor and if I could use my work L2 charger at home, would I be able to get: 11.5 kW = 250VAC x 46A? That's the number you mentioned but is 1 kW higher than I've seen Ford mention, but seems logical if your home has 250VAC _and_ your charger can go to 46A.

Just curious. I don't expect you have an answer. Just wondering out loud.
Your work charger is 208v...

48amps max. V x A

48 x 250 x 93%(7% loss) = 11.2 at car.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Your work charger is 208v...

48amps max. V x A

48 x 250 x 93%(7% loss) = 11.2 at car.
Yeah, I am definitely reporting the power at my chargers, not the car. I haven't even bothered to look at car Scanner to see what it reports at the car.

I am curious why the MME isn't requesting 48A from my work charger? The Tesla does. But the MME always only goes to 46A.

I plan to upgrade my home to use the same Emporia 48A charger (off a 60A circuit) that I have at work and will see if I can get more power overall. I'm waiting for the NACS variant to be available.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yeah, I am definitely reporting the power at my chargers, not the car. I haven't even bothered to look at car Scanner to see what it reports at the car.

I am curious why the MME isn't requesting 48A from my work charger? The Tesla does. But the MME always only goes to 46A.

I plan to upgrade my home to use the same Emporia 48A charger (off a 60A circuit) that I have at work and will see if I can get more power overall. I'm waiting for the NACS variant to be available.
Open Ford app, click on Charging banner. It shows you charging rate, with no decimal place. Wait 30 min, take total energy number and multiply x 2. That is kWh delivered. You know voltage house is delivering. Math gives you amps.

No idea about 46amps at work.

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag

The highest my Autel has ever read was 46.5 amps. I figured that was close enough to 48 that I set it at.

david_quick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

My EVSE is set to 40A but the car draws 39.8. I wish the one that came with the car could be adjusted.

johnnycombo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

Any L2 charge rate is good! I use a ChargePoint, hard wired on a 60amp breaker (60amps X .8 =48 charging amps). My Lightning came with a charger that can deliver 60 charging amps, I didn't think putting in a new circuit for that was worth it. Here's a sample graph from my charge the other day for my f150 Lightning (the Mach e draws a little less amperage).

Screenshot_20240329_164622_ChargePoint.jpg

medriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ME
Country flag
I think 32 amps is perfect if you have the 7kw heater it can fully support that for preheat and preconditioning , I would advocate the slowest speed that you can tolerate that still has the efficiency gain of the level 2 charger. More time on charger = happier 12v battery as well.
Sponsored