Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Extended range
Occupation
Tool and die maker
Country flag
Hello! I am a bit worried a about my Mach E. Last winter when temperatures was around 5 to -15°F my predicted range at 90% was around 175 miles, and on my daily driving (43 miles to and from work, around 55 mph) my consumption was around 20-22kwh/100km on snowy roads. (won't bother calculating in miles, hope it's ok).

Now the beginning of this winter, temperatures are ranging from 32 to 14°F and now my predicted range is 250km at 90%, and it seems almost impossible to get the consumption under 28kwh/100km with the exact same driving except milder temperatures and snow free roads.

I always precondition before driving.

I have also had more issues charging, especially at fast chargers.
Makes me worried that something is wrong with the battery, is there some way to check battery health?
Sponsored

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I do believe there is a high voltage battery PID that is accessible via an ODB2 device. I’ve seen it before when browsing mine. It’s a percentage. It is not immediately clear what exactly the number means though. Maybe someone else on here knows more about it. It may even have a dedicated thread!

Even if you are able to see your degradation, I’m not sure that will ease your concerns.

OP
OP
Odmark91

Odmark91

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tool and die maker
Country flag
Since I owned my car for a year I am fully aware of the lack of range in the winter, as well as the inaccuracy of the "Guess o Meter", but now it's a question of actual live consumption over time.

The question is why does my car consume more electricity now at 32°F and bare roads then last winter at -15°F and snowy roads with the exact same type of driving?
It's a pretty great difference too, 6-8kwh per 100km.

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
Are you using the heater more?

OP
OP
Odmark91

Odmark91

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tool and die maker
Country flag
Are you using the heater more?
No, i would say less since it's much warmer outside. I always have it at 21°C and first auto setting except in the summer.

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
Converting your original numbers to a more archaic form:
20-22kwh/100km = 3.0 mi/kWh
28kwh/100km = 2.2 mi/kWh

3.0 mi/kWh seems very high for driving in near 0 F temps with the heat on. Are you sure of those values from last year? 2.2 seems about right for your described commute.

Any other changes to your car? Wheels or tires?

OP
OP
Odmark91

Odmark91

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tool and die maker
Country flag
Converting your original numbers to a more archaic form:
20-22kwh/100km = 3.0 mi/kWh
28kwh/100km = 2.2 mi/kWh

3.0 mi/kWh seems very high for driving in near 0 F temps with the heat on. Are you sure of those values from last year? 2.2 seems about right for your described commute.

Any other changes to your car? Wheels or tires?
Thank you very much! Yes i am sure, it sometimes went below 20kwh/100km. The only time it would get to the current consumption (and a little bit over) was when driving up the 3 mile long hill from my house to get to the main road.
But now it is about 45kwh+/100km on that same 3 mile incline.

No other changes, everything is the same as last year.

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
Curious. Still seems like last year was more unusual than what you’re seeing now. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Since I owned my car for a year I am fully aware of the lack of range in the winter, as well as the inaccuracy of the "Guess o Meter", but now it's a question of actual live consumption over time.

The question is why does my car consume more electricity now at 32°F and bare roads then last winter at -15°F and snowy roads with the exact same type of driving?
It's a pretty great difference too, 6-8kwh per 100km.
The software for the range meter is different this year than last. How consumption is calculated may also be slightly different than last year.

At -10ºC I would expect a 100% range of 290 km and an efficiency of 27 kWh/100 km on flat ground at 100 kph. The GOM is conservative so it will display around 260 km.
Sponsored