SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
I want to do the full car because ICE vehicles are targeted. It's fine. I just don't want to be taken advantage of.
Sponsored

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So I asked for this and they came back with a quote of $2,000 dollars more making the final quote $8,000 dollars. I really feel like they pulled these numbers from their ass.

1644004494236.png
This price seems exceptionally, exceptionally high to me! ? Almost robbery there (admittedly I don’t know your local market situation).

I got a name brand, XPEL Ultimate, full car coverage for $5400 before tax, and that’s in Canadian Dollars!

In actuality my installer cut me a deal too because I got full ceramic coat plus window tinting too.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I want to do the full car because ICE vehicles are targeted. It's fine. I just don't want to be taken advantage of.
Have no idea what that means.

OP
OP

SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
So who's lying? lol

Attached is the Solar Gard warranty and data sheet that states a 7 year warranty. With over 30 years experience and using multiple products through the years we have yet to file a warranty claim for Solar Gard Clearshield Pro. That is why we stand by this product, as we have had multiple claims with other products that we have used with longer warranties, including SunTek, regarding yellowing or releasing especially during power car washes. The biggest issue found with this type of product is the lack of expertise and experience with installation.

Thank you inquiring.

Attachments

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
So who's lying? lol
Here are a couple things to consider:

1) Even if the warranty is 7 years instead of 5 years, that is still 3 years less than other industry leaders like Xpel who offer a 10 year warranty.
2) I just did a quick search on Youtube for reviews of Solargard Clearshield PPF and none came up. The only videos that came up were videos produced by Solargard themselves. IMO, most reputable manufacturers will have independent reviews published on their products.
3) The main advantage of PPF is that it is supposed to have self-healing properties. This means that if the PPF gets scratched, the scratch will magically disappear when exposed to the heat of the sun. I found a post on a BMW forum asking if Solargard films had self-healing properties like Xpel and Suntek films. The people there thought no. I then went to the Solargard website and they mention stain resistance and hydrophobicity, but interestingly no mention of self-healing properties. I would check with Solargard customer service and ask them if their PPF has self healing properties. If they say no, they I would definitely walk away and get Xpel, Suntek, 3M, or some other major brand that has self healing properties.

Below are two videos. The first is from Engineering Explained in which he demonstrates the self healing properties of Xpel PPF by scratching the film on purpose with a steel brush (skip to time mark 1:20 to see him do this). The second video is an excellent PPF comparison done by a reputable Youtube detailing expert Scott HD.

Hope this helps with your decision.

OP
OP

SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
I am about a 40 min drive from a Xpel dealer. They are going to charge me the following:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Clear Wrap Cost 1644338219501

Is this more in line what I should be paying?

Also, I am wondering about driving it before it has protection and the distance / speed on a HWY to get to the location. Is 55mph still the max for the first 5,000 miles?

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I am about a 40 min drive from a Xpel dealer. They are going to charge me the following:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Clear Wrap Cost 1644338219501

Is this more in line what I should be paying?

Also, I am wondering about driving it before it has protection and the distance / speed on a HWY to get to the location. Is 55mph still the max for the first 5,000 miles?
While I am not familiar with the pricing in your area, that definitely seems a lot more in line. You just saved yourself about $4K. And you may have gotten a better quality PPF.

I am not aware of any limits on how fast you can drive for the first 5,000 miles (I have ordered mine but have not received it yet). If you are concerned about rock chips before the PPF is applied, you can reduce the risk by getting the PPF installed immediately after you take delivery. You will probably be fine. But if you are concerned about the paint getting damaged before the PPF is installed, Xpel makes a temporary PPF designed for those people that go to the race track. It is called Tracwrap. You can apply it when you take delivery and remove it at the PPF installer:

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/tracwrap

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Try searching the site for "ppf" and see all of the prior posts on this.
Sponsored