Constant humming / coolant pump

mcpurple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Purchased a 2023 Mach E Premium in October. We live in NJ. In November when we started using the heat the car has a constant humming sound when driving. It starts about a mile into our trip and does not stop until we shut the car off.

Brought to Ford 3 time only to be told it is a 'characteristic' of the car. So frustrated. Dealer explained it is due to the redesign of the coolant pump. The noise from the coolant pump is transferring through the chassis into the front fender into the passenger compartment. My service rep confirmed the humming was heard in a 'like' vehicle but not as prominent as it is in mine.

Anyone having the same problem and maybe came up with a solution?

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Do you have the standard range LFP or extended pack?

Does that noise still happen if you plug into level 2 and run a departure time before leaving?

How cold is it when this happens, and is the vehicle parked outside? Usually plugged in at night or not?

OP
OP

mcpurple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Do you have the standard range LFP or extended pack?

Does that noise still happen if you plug into level 2 and run a departure time before leaving?

How cold is it when this happens, and is the vehicle parked outside? Usually plugged in at night or not?
We have the extended battery and the car is parked in the garage.

After driving about a mile the buzzing starts. It could be 50 degrees or 30 degrees and we hear it. Brought the car to 2 dealers who worked with the 'hot line' engineers. They say it is normal. Makes no sense. In October when we received the car- no noise for about a month.

While it is charging we also hear it but I figured that was normal

The mechanic at one dealer blamed it on an early 2023 redesign with the coolant pump

alpine_shredder

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, 2023 GT
Country flag
Does it make the humming noise when charging or only when driving? Some of the 2023s (including mine) apparently have a bug with the cooling pump where it runs during the entire charging cycle. However, I’ve never noticed mine make the noise when driving.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I own a 2021 Job 1. I am currently renting a 2023 while on an extended trip to Houston. I have noticed the same noise in the 2023 while charging and while driving. My 2021 has this noise when charging but it is not as noticable from the cabin.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 4
Country flag
Purchased a 2023 Mach E Premium in October. We live in NJ. In November when we started using the heat the car has a constant humming sound when driving. It starts about a mile into our trip and does not stop until we shut the car off.
That little hum actually bothers you?

Have you ever driven an ICE car before?

Just put on some music or turn the blower fan up a notch to drown it out.

It's a car. Not a library.

OP
OP

mcpurple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I own a 2021 Job 1. I am currently renting a 2023 while on an extended trip to Houston. I have noticed the same noise in the 2023 while charging and while driving. My 2021 has this noise when charging but it is not as noticable from the cabin.
Thanks for the response. Learned that there was some redesign to the coolant pump in 2023. Glad to hear that you don't constantly hear it in your model. I hear it when charging and driving. Ford says nothing is wrong with my vehicle. They are standing by it's a 'characteristic'. Good golly I guess all characteristics don't have to be good ones lol

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Learned that there was some redesign to the coolant pump in 2023. Glad to hear that you don't constantly hear it in your model. I hear it when charging and driving. Ford says nothing is wrong with my vehicle. They are standing by it's a 'characteristic'. Good golly I guess all characteristics don't have to be good ones lol
That could very well be true, the cooling system was redesigned for 2023.5, and they may need to run the pump all the time to cool the motors, etc.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
Thw weather in Houston has warmed up to 70 deg. I drove the 2023 this morning and no noise from the coolant pumps. I guess you just have to wait for warm weather to arrive. I am also charging with a level 1 charger and the pumps are not running.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I bet it’s temperature related. It’s probably trying to heat the battery with motor heat because it’s a little cold. I bet if they warm up the pack first it doesn’t happen.

In the summer the battery is probably warm enough so it doesn’t occur.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I bet it’s temperature related. It’s probably trying to heat the battery with motor heat because it’s a little cold. I bet if they warm up the pack first it doesn’t happen.

I agree. Can I warm up the battery pack (precondition) using the level 1 charger? How long would it take in 30 deg weather and sitting outside all night?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I agree. Can I warm up the battery pack (precondition) using the level 1 charger? How long would it take in 30 deg weather and sitting outside all night?
Leave the car plugged in overnight and set a departure time in the morning. It will warm up a little bit on L1 but not completely like L2.

alpine_shredder

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, 2023 GT
Country flag

Hmmmm, interesting. So I wonder if the continuous hum myself and others hear when charging the 23.5 cars is related to this redesigned system or truly a software bug. I live in Maine so can’t test in warmer conditions. The issues with blue charging indicators not turning off in some 23.5s might there be separate from the humming cooling system during charging?
Sponsored