Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I installed mine this evening. Of course I didn't see Lee's post about galvanic corrosion until after I used red Loctite on the screws. (I figured, I'm never going to want to remove these suckers...šŸ¤Ŗ) Luckily I don't live in snow/ice country!
IMG_1384.jpeg
If you move to the north they will come out easy after they corrode all the metal around itšŸ¤£

I may have to make sure my car is in florida all winter to avoid that problem, although with the holes in the lift bar I would think salt would get in there anyway Without the lift puck.

I used Blue and will put some sort of caulking around the puck And hope that works

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
About these corvette jack pads (or any for that matter) I donā€™t think they should be permanently attached unless youā€™ve had your HVBJB replaced or donā€™t every plan to have your battery lowered. There are special rails Ford uses that lay right in that area were the pads are that a lift attaches to to raise the car in order to drop the battery. The pads will need to come off for those rail supports to fit flat. I would suggest if you do add pads, make sure they can be easily removed in case you need this type of service on your car.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
About these corvette jack pads (or any for that matter) I donā€™t think they should be permanently attached unless youā€™ve had your HVBJB replaced or donā€™t every plan to have your battery lowered. There are special rails Ford uses that lay right in that area were the pads are that a lift attaches to to raise the car in order to drop the battery. The pads will need to come off for those rail supports to fit flat. I would suggest if you do add pads, make sure they can be easily removed in case you need this type of service on your car.
Good points! I guess I'll find out how hard it is to remove Loctite Red... šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE (Declined Delivery); 2023 BMW iX M60
Country flag
Uh oh!

FamDocDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red MME GTPE, 2016 Mercedes AMG GLA45
Country flag
Installed the red pucks on our Rapid Red GTPE today. Video much appreciated. Made the install easy.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was going to ask if there was going to be an issue lifting the car and I guess I should have

I used Blue but I fear that getting them and the backing off is not going to be so easy

I should have procrastinated more, LOL

Hereā€™s to hoping my battery never has to come off

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I was going to ask if there was going to be an issue lifting the car and I guess I should have

I used Blue but I fear that getting them and the backing off is not going to be so easy

I should have procrastinated more, LOL

Hereā€™s to hoping my battery never has to come off
I'm assuming my HVBJB will need to be replaced eventually, so I'm going to try to get my lift pads loose today. šŸ¤ž

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
For anyone who has already mounted these and needs to back them out in a pinch, how about using a drill bit slightly smaller than the bolt to "core" it out until it fails? Even if you end up damaging the pads in the process, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Hopefully it never becomes necessary.

I haven't installed mine yet, but to help with the removal of these pads, my plan was to use mounting tape on the backing hardware as suggested by @kennethjk earlier in the thread, maybe even with a bit of adhesion promoter against the inside surface of the rail where the brakcet would seat.

Should removal become necessary, I'm hoping that the boosted mounting tape (along with some downward tension on the pad itself) would help keep the bracket still while backing out the bolt.

Or would a toggle bolt work, if it's possible to fit one with a nut that opens up wide enough to not spin freely in there?

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward keeping them in the car with mounting tape ready to peel and stick should the need arise.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After reading all of this I panicked.

I removed one of the rear ones without a tremendous effort, it was the rear one which is a little easier

super humid here in Florida and working in Garage wasnā€™t so bad but sweating like crazy

will deal with others later

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Took 3 minutes to remove the front one,

will do the others tomorrow or reinstall the two I removed, I needed to prove I could remove them.

donā€™t say it, yes I know I am crazy

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
For anyone who has already mounted these and needs to back them out in a pinch, how about using a drill bit slightly smaller than the bolt to "core" it out until it fails? Even if you end up damaging the pads in the process, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Hopefully it never becomes necessary.

I haven't installed mine yet, but to help with the removal of these pads, my plan was to use mounting tape on the backing hardware as suggested by @kennethjk earlier in the thread, maybe even with a bit of adhesion promoter against the inside surface of the rail where the brakcet would seat.

Should removal become necessary, I'm hoping that the boosted mounting tape (along with some downward tension on the pad itself) would help keep the bracket still while backing out the bolt.

Or would a toggle bolt work, if it's possible to fit one with a nut that opens up wide enough to not spin freely in there?

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward keeping them in the car with mounting tape ready to peel and stick should the need arise.
I thought about this but I worry that the bolt will spin. (The aluminum backing hardware can spin within the lift rail.) I think I'm going to drill a hole in the puck that aligns with the hole in the lift rail and then put a bolt in it to keep the backing hardware from spinning. Not ideal, but since I figure it's just a matter of time until my HVBJB needs to be replaced, better sooner than later!

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I installed blue pads today using a little 3M tape on both the backing hardware and the pad itself. Installation was straightforward. I swapped my wheels afterward and it was very nice to be able to just glance down to align the jack without even having to kneel.

As for removal, I'm not terribly worried - there is quite a bit of friction up there and I think if you had trouble you could just put an allen socket onto an impact driver and give it a spin - not much friction would be needed to get the bolt coming out, and at that point you could pull down firmly on the pad to brace it to continue removing.

Worst case, I would just drill out the head and pry it off - that little M5 will pop without much persuading.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Would putting one of the screws or longer ones into the other hole in the puck stop the backing from spinning. Not sure that would work on both front and back but worth a try

Last edited: