David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I will end up having to get one, but I really wish the dash cam function was available at launch.

It's people key these as often as they do with the Tesla, then we are going to need them
Sponsored

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Installed an inexpensive basic WIFI dashcam today. It took me less than a half-hour. Only tool was a butter knife for spudging. Cable hides perfectly inside windshield trim, A-pillar, behind glovebox and console to usb. Seems easily removable and required 16 - 64g micro sd card. This will be good enough for me until and if Ford provides solution with onboard cams.

IMG_2134c.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F245PS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I'm aware the chicom party may monitor our trips to the supermarket. ;)
Do you think you could show a photo from the inside of the car with the route you took for the cable?

I purchased something similar and have it on hand, but I haven’t even begun to try to figure out how to hide the cable run. The camera even came with a plastic spudger.

Thanks.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Do you think you could show a photo from the inside of the car with the route you took for the cable?

I purchased something similar and have it on hand, but I haven’t even begun to try to figure out how to hide the cable run. The camera even came with a plastic spudger.

Thanks.
Funny you said "Plastic Spudger" ...my radio DJ name. :D All kidding aside, click on that Amazon link, scroll down until you see the "cable management" graphic. That's almost exactly what I did except (1) mounted the cam as high as I could behind the mirror, (2) could not spudge around A-Pillar but fits so tight that it's barely perceptible (3) behind glovebox hinge there's an access panel, cable fits nicely inside front edge. BTW, most of this can be done with finger tips.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
FYI -- you can buy a couple of accessories to help prevent this :

(1) DC adapter (e.g., cigarette lighter); if the port in the Mach E is turned off when the ignition is off, this is an option (ex. read this post -- https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dead-low-voltage-battery-lvb.3490/post-112420)
(2) OBD II adapter (Thinkware sells these -- https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/thinkware-obd-ii-power-cable/ as does Ford's Accessory site)
(3) Something like Blackvue's PowerMagic Pro allows you to set a minimum voltage to prevent battery drain (https://blackvue.com/product/blackv...attery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/)
(4) Something like a Dash Cam battery (https://blackvue.com/product/power-magic-ultra-battery-b-124x/)
I have the Blackvue with Power Magic Pro in my Bolt and it's been great, no issues in 2 years. I'm just too nervous to get it installed on the MME right now, especially when getting the same Blackvue installed on my I-Pace cracked the windshield... because of how much tech is built into windshields now, it was a pain getting that replaced.

They talked about built in dash cams, or lack thereof, on new cars on the Wheel Bearings car podcast (which is excellent if you don't listen) and said it's most likely due to a combination of cost and liability...most manufacturers don't want to get involved in lawsuits or customers angry if something wasn't caught on camera or they malfunction, etc. Tesla is more willing to play that game than typical manufacturers. Crossing my fingers for Ford to implement but definitely not holding my breath.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
If you are getting a DashCam, you might want to consider getting one with Super capacitor instead of Li-On battery. Since the interior of the car can becomes very hot, it will degrade the DashCam battery very fast.

Every time you turn off the car, the DashCam will take a second or two to finished writing to the SD card.

If the battery becomes bad the SD card in the DashCam can be corrupted.

I haven't put one yet on my MME, but my previous car, I use the fuse adapter and connect a USB adapter to the other end.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cams 1614056679255

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Getting my Blackvue 750S with Power Magic Pro box professionally removed from my Bolt and installed into my MME later today, wish me luck!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't understand why can't they give built-in dash cams at this age... for a techy car, it should be minimum...
I'll admit I don't completely get this - if someone keys your car, you now have a video of one of literally 8 billion people - how is that ultimately helpful?

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Update: Install went smoothly, no issues. He said on newer EVs such as the MME he has to wait for the computer to go to sleep to figure out which wires shut down, otherwise the cam won't work in parking mode if you connect it wrong. But working well and since there's plenty of space behind the rearview mirror the camera is unobtrusive on the windshield. Looks great and no wires visible anywhere. I'll post an update after driving a while in case there are any operational, battery or voltage issues that crop up.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Update: Install went smoothly, no issues. He said on newer EVs such as the MME he has to wait for the computer to go to sleep to figure out which wires shut down, otherwise the cam won't work in parking mode if you connect it wrong. But working well and since there's plenty of space behind the rearview mirror the camera is unobtrusive on the windshield. Looks great and no wires visible anywhere. I'll post an update after driving a while in case there are any operational, battery or voltage issues that crop up.
Awesome - definitely snap some shots and let us know how it's working our for you!

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Awesome - definitely snap some shots and let us know how it's working our for you!
Pics attached. No wires visible anywhere, and the cam fits perfectly behind the rear view mirror. I can barely see the bottom of it from my driving position

20210301_182856.jpg

20210301_182750.jpg

20210301_182759.jpg

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I started pulling my BlackVue DR750S out of my Clarity today. I got it mostly out, except for the harness and power connection behind the Power Magic box. I may as well put this in my FE. If I could sell it for maybe $150, I might get a Thinkware.
Sponsored

Last edited: