Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Has anybody DIY installed a rear dash cam yet? I removed the rear dash cam from my Clarity, so I think I can run the cable in my MME. There is a center trim piece on the door that hopefully is sufficient to get to the top side of the rubber conduit, but the lower side in the roof section is not clear.
Sponsored

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Yup, there was a post late last year where they hinted that it could be released and that the hardware exists for it, and the Ford spokesman said to "stay tuned". Here it is!

I'm guessing we'd need to add usb storage for such a thing.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cams 1616814719264

ndit

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Has anybody DIY installed a rear dash cam yet? I removed the rear dash cam from my Clarity, so I think I can run the cable in my MME. There is a center trim piece on the door that hopefully is sufficient to get to the top side of the rubber conduit, but the lower side in the roof section is not clear.
Did you ever figure this out, highland58? Planning to do my DIY install of my dash cam this week. Front camera seems easy, rear camera is confusing me to implement due to the fact the glass raises with the rear partition on opening the trunk. Don't really want to place it on the headliner and also want to keep the visible wiring minimal. Thanks in advance!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Did you ever figure this out, highland58? Planning to do my DIY install of my dash cam this week. Front camera seems easy, rear camera is confusing me to implement due to the fact the glass raises with the rear partition on opening the trunk. Don't really want to place it on the headliner and also want to keep the visible wiring minimal. Thanks in advance!
Pictures and video of your install please.

OP
OP
highland58

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
After struggling a couple more hours, I decided to give up and take it to a professional. Car Toys did a great job, they were able to properly re-attach the A-Pillar that I thought I had messed up enough that it would need to be replaced The rear cam is fastened to the glass, coming through the rubber conduit between the door and roof. The A-pillars have tethers that are very tricky to work with, even the Car Toys guy said that he struggled with them. The lesson that I learned is to not mess up my new car to save a couple of hundred dollars.

ndit

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
After struggling a couple more hours, I decided to give up and take it to a professional. Car Toys did a great job, they were able to properly re-attach the A-Pillar that I thought I had messed up enough that it would need to be replaced The rear cam is fastened to the glass, coming through the rubber conduit between the door and roof. The A-pillars have tethers that are very tricky to work with, even the Car Toys guy said that he struggled with them. The lesson that I learned is to not mess up my new car to save a couple of hundred dollars.
Awesome thanks for the reply. Definitely good information to have.

Djmc321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
he has to wait for the computer to go to sleep to figure out which wires shut down, otherwise the cam won't work in parking mode if you connect it wrong.
Hi Jako607, do you know what fuses he used for the live & switching power to the blackview? I've had power issues in my prior cars with the problems you mentioned (using the right switching supply for the camera to stay powered but engage in parking mode). I need to get my BV750 moved over from my FPace to MME in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Djmc321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hi Jako607, do you know what fuses he used for the live & switching power to the blackview? I've had power issues in my prior cars with the problems you mentioned (using the right switching supply for the camera to stay powered but engage in parking mode). I need to get my BV750 moved over from my FPace to MME in the next few weeks. Thanks!
So I had the BlackVue 750s & PowerMagic Pro moved over and as feared it's not staying on in parking mode (ignition off). The rear camera also totally kills my DAB (UK/European digital radio) reception, which happened to some extent in my prior Jaguar but not as bad as this....

The installer said he believes he's used the correct permanent & switched live but the output was only putting out 11.x volts which would presumably not be enough to get above the 12v the PMP needs to stay on. Would love to hear from anyone here who has a successful BlackVue dual camera install as to how they managed it and whether it stays on when the ignition turns off? Thanks all.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
My MMEx/RT1 is as follows.

1. Grabbed up a OBD2 Cam adapter to plug into the OBD2 port to power the DashCam as well as Sentinel mode (Cam is on as long as power doesn't go below xVolts. (smile.amazon linkage)
  2. Grabbed up a USB to Cig Lighter adapter to plug into the OBD2 connector's USB port and Cig Lighter for the DashCam power
  3. Stuffed the wires up the side of the dash all the way up to the windscreen headliner.
  4. Pushed the extra dashcam wiring into the pillar/posts to hide and on to the rear cam mounting (The loop is required so you can open/close the hatch)
  5. Pushed the Front cam wires behind the radar plate.
With the OBD2 adapter you don't need to worry about splicing/fusetaps etc. AND bonus the OBD2 adapter will keep the DashCam powered while you are shopping/dining etc.

Blackvue 750s-F229BE Front/back setup

Djmc321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
So I had the BlackVue 750s & PowerMagic Pro moved over and as feared it's not staying on in parking mode (ignition off). The rear camera also totally kills my DAB (UK/European digital radio) reception, which happened to some extent in my prior Jaguar but not as bad as this....
Curiously in the last two days the camera has been working as expected after I put some drives in, so I wonder if the 12v output on the battery can be quite varied based on how much you're using it (would make sense).

I've a replacement cable on order to check the radio signal issues. The prior installation in my Jaguar had to cut the cable to get it through to the rear, so could be leaking interference at the join...

Marty69

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
IT service manager
Have just brought the Nexar. But a word of warning a lot of these cams are cloud enabled via an app, this is fine but you can’t use the app and wireless car play at the same time, therefore I am reliant on an SD card as I would have been 5-10 years ago until phones with dual Wi-Fi connections become available. This then begs the question, is it worth splashing out on cloud enabled when you can’t really utilise it? Also dash cams are nickable via a broken window so is it worth going top end? I would have expected by now manufactures should be building this tec in but there must be some legal reasons they are not!!!

PandaRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Country flag
Same. I have the Blackvue DR750-2ch. It already saved us once after a DUI rear ended us. I have one on order for my MME. I selft-installed my current one with a Black Magic and plan to do the same in the MME
Would you be open to sharing more info on what "Black Magic" is? I'm interested in adding a front (and maybe rear) dashcam to my Mach-E and would love to self-install vs paying for it, but also really don't want visible wires!

PandaRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Country flag
Installed an inexpensive basic WIFI dashcam today. It took me less than a half-hour. Only tool was a butter knife for spudging. Cable hides perfectly inside windshield trim, A-pillar, behind glovebox and console to usb. Seems easily removable and required 16 - 64g micro sd card. This will be good enough for me until and if Ford provides solution with onboard cams.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cams 1616814719264

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F245PS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I'm aware the chicom party may monitor our trips to the supermarket. ;)
Thank you for this! When you say "behind the glovebox and console," are you referring to removing them to lay the wire or using the butter knife to squeeze the wire into gaps?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Would you be open to sharing more info on what "Black Magic" is? I'm interested in adding a front (and maybe rear) dashcam to my Mach-E and would love to self-install vs paying for it, but also really don't want visible wires!
A power magic pro is a cutoff device for dashcams. In the MME they are completely useless because of their less than finite settings.

Normally the PMP would monitor voltages to ensure the camera doesn't drain the LVB however the device only has settings for 12v and 12.5v. The MME routinely drops below 12.5v on a normal basis and will never get below 12v because of the DC/DC charge from the HVB. Vicovation and a powemon are the only companies, that I'm aware of, that makes ones with finite voltage configuration that would work with the MME. So don't waste you money on a power magic pro.
Sponsored