Difference in sound quality between Premium and GT?

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
I just took delivery of my GT Saturday. My wife has had a Premium since July. We both immediately noticed that the GT's sound system is much better than the one in Premium. Is this attributable to some difference in the systems installed on the two models or is it just a luck of the draw thing?
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In theory they are identical. Mine sounds no different than my premium did. Were you using the same source in both for the audio?

OP
OP
mlhunt856

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Yes, just picked a random Sirius XM channel to be sure we were comparing apples. GT sounds cleaner, crisper, better channel separation, more gain. Just better all the way around.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
There was an issue with some of the B&O systems that needed an update where I believe the amp was not coming on.

OP
OP
mlhunt856

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
There was an issue with some of the B&O systems that needed an update where I believe the amp was not coming on.
Thanks. We have the car scheduled for its 10k service and the recalls next week. I'll ask them to look at it.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
Yes, just picked a random Sirius XM channel to be sure we were comparing apples. GT sounds cleaner, crisper, better channel separation, more gain. Just better all the way around.
Are you sure that the SXM channel you picked was not streaming vs. satellite? The streaming will sound WAY better due to much higher bitrate.

OP
OP
mlhunt856

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Are you sure that the SXM channel you picked was not streaming vs. satellite? The streaming will sound WAY better due to much higher bitrate.
No, I'm not sure. I'll have to sit down and really examine it making sure to match sources. But I'm pretty sure it's a real significant difference. My wife isn't really what I'd call an audiophile and she volunteered a comment about how much better my car sounds than hers on our first drive together.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Use a song ripped to a USB for highest fidelity or a hi fi stream like Tidal. Sounds great on my Premium. Sxm is compressed.

OP
OP
mlhunt856

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
I'm not talking about the quality of any given track, which I understand world be dependent on the file's bitrate and codec among other things. I'm talkng about the fact that *the same track from the same source* sounds noticeably better in my GT than it does in my wife's Premium.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Any way to force SXM to use streaming?

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
Any way to force SXM to use streaming?
I don't know about the built-in client (my MME is not here yet), but you could always use the phone app via CarPlay / Android Auto.

The iOS app has settings for streaming quality that make a sizable difference - I assume the Android one does as well.

The app really is a steaming pile otherwise, though. Super buggy. But the sound quality is a massive improvement vs the over-the-air version of SXM.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I don't know about the built-in client (my MME is not here yet), but you could always use the phone app via CarPlay / Android Auto.

The iOS app has settings for streaming quality that make a sizable difference - I assume the Android one does as well.

The app really is a steaming pile otherwise, though. Super buggy. But the sound quality is a massive improvement vs the over-the-air version of SXM.
I’m an Apple fanboy and I’ll only say this: CarPlay is total crap.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Sounds like the DSP needs to be reset in your Premium so that it uses the B&O subwoofer.
It’s not about the quality of the inputs. This is a problem some early premium owners described.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I noticed an improvement in sound quality going from my First Edition to the GT. But, my FE did need the DSP update that never got done before I traded it in.

OP
OP
mlhunt856

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Sounds like the DSP needs to be reset in your Premium so that it uses the B&O subwoofer.
It’s not about the quality of the inputs. This is a problem some early premium owners described.
Thanks, you're the second person on the thread who's mentioned something like that. I have the car scheduled in for service/recalls next week and I'll add that to the service order.
Sponsored