Do you need to have apps for all the different EV charging stations?

LexiRN

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e
Country flag
My mach-e is currently in transit so I don't have it yet. I've been researching charging and I've noticed that there's a lot of EV apps and they ask for credit card info. Do you need to have apps for all the different EV stations? Is it like gas stations where you can just pay there with a card? New to all this.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
My mach-e is currently in transit so I don't have it yet. I've been researching charging and I've noticed that there's a lot of EV apps and they ask for credit card info. Do you need to have apps for all the different EV stations? Is it like gas stations where you can just pay there with a card? New to all this.
The FordPass app actually works fairly well with activating chargers and just using that app for payment, but you should download the other ones as backup just in case.
Recommend:
Electrify America
EVGo
ChargePoint
Greenlots

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Yes, most DC Fast Chargers I have seen also had an option to pay by card. Although, if your needs require fast charging (longer commute or no slow charger at work), I would strongly recommend looking at a paid membership to whatever preferred or even just convenient charging network. A paid membership will save you a notable amount of money on charging fees.
Yes, a paid membership will more than pay for the monthly fee each time you DCFC.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You'll want to do some reading on the forum.

First, you get 250kW free at Electrify America. This can only be used by enabling Plug and Charge in FordPass and providing a credit card on Ford.com. The credit card is not charged unless you exceed the 10 minute idle time at the end of a session, or you exceed the free hours. There is a sticky on this, and multiple threads, including explanations of EA's charging by kW in some states and minutes in the others. Minutes are 1/2 the cost.

Second, once the hours are used up, you can get a bunch of apps, provide your credit card, and off you go. Or, you can still use Plug and Charge. As of now, Plug and Charge will always get you the normal rate that is charged at the different companies. They have announced, but not rolled out, a $50 per year plan that provides discounts, you'll want to read about that.

Each of these companies has their own rates. EA offers a Pass+ plan for $4 a month, which provides a 25 (per minute) - 28 (per kWh)% discount. Pays off on the first day-long trip.

Each of these companies does "autofill". They charge your credit card on that first fill, and then hit it when it gets below a certain level. I have an $8.73 balance at Electrify America right now, and $10 at ChargePoint (due to a credit).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You'll want to do some reading on the forum.

First, you get 250kW free at Electrify America. This can only be used by enabling Plug and Charge in FordPass and providing a credit card on Ford.com. The credit card is not charged unless you exceed the 10 minute idle time at the end of a session, or you exceed the free hours. There is a sticky on this, and multiple threads, including explanations of EA's charging by kW in some states and minutes in the others. Minutes are 1/2 the cost.

Second, once the hours are used up, you can get a bunch of apps, provide your credit card, and off you go. Or, you can still use Plug and Charge. As of now, Plug and Charge will always get you the normal rate that is charged at the different companies. They have announced, but not rolled out, a $50 per year plan that provides discounts, you'll want to read about that.

Each of these companies has their own rates. EA offers a Pass+ plan for $4 a month, which provides a 25 (per minute) - 28 (per kWh)% discount. Pays off on the first day-long trip.

Each of these companies does "autofill". They charge your credit card on that first fill, and then hit it when it gets below a certain level. I have an $8.73 balance at Electrify America right now, and $10 at ChargePoint (due to a credit).
Are you sure P&C is required to use the gratis Ford kWh? Itā€™s been 9 - 10 months since my first road trip, and I donā€™t think I enabled P&C yet because of all the issues with it back then. I activated the station in FordPass and it used my Ford-provided kWh.

I could be mis-remembering. šŸ˜€

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Are you sure P&C is required to use the gratis Ford kWh? Itā€™s been 9 - 10 months since my first road trip, and I donā€™t think I enabled P&C yet because of all the issues with it back then. I activated the station in FordPass and it used my Ford-provided kWh.

I could be mis-remembering. šŸ˜€
You might be right. But, given how inconsistent FordPass is in choosing when it works or doesn't work, I'd want to enable P&C for my free hours.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You might be right. But, given how inconsistent FordPass is in choosing when it works or doesn't work, I'd want to enable P&C for my free hours.
Agreeā€¦I always use P&C now, and if I was a new owner today, Iā€™d start out that way.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
I have never used charging outside of my home.....Decided to try yesterday at Electrify America 2 miles from my home, DC fast charging. It cost me $17.20 for 40kWh......Pricey in CA?

BTW: How would I use the 250kWh from Ford? From the App?

Thx all
Sponsored