Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
your ride will be much more harsh. I have AAA
Not the latest generation RFT - they ride like a conventional.

I have Bridgestone DriveGuards and they are very comfortable, quiet, and affordable.

BTW I also have AAA but we had a bad experience one time when we got a flat on a Los Angeles freeway. We pulled over and called Auto Club(AAA).

While we waited, a low riding rice burner pulled up behind with 2 gang looking males got out, and approached the car.

They did not look like the type to help stranded motorists out so I stepped out with a firearm strapped on my waist (I am allowed as a FFL Type 01 dealer).

They immediately backed off and left in a hurry.

Guess they were not the AAA tow truck...

Ever since, my wife was traumatized with that incident and I have always put on RFT on all our cars to prevent having pull over.
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Not the latest generation RFT - they ride like a conventional.

I have Bridgestone DriveGuards and they are very comfortable, quiet, and affordable.

BTW I also have AAA but we had a bad experience one time when we got a flat on a Los Angeles freeway. We pulled over and called Auto Club(AAA).

While we waited, a low riding rice burner pulled up behind with 2 gang looking males got out, and approached the car.

They did not look like the type to help stranded motorists out so I stepped out with a firearm strapped on my waist (I am allowed as a FFL Type 01 dealer).

They immediately backed off and left in a hurry.

Guess they were not the AAA tow truck...

Ever since, my wife was traumatized with that incident and I have always put on RFT on all our cars to prevent having pull over.
I respect your choice but no way around the fact that a run flat will have a stiffer ride. The sidewalls need to be stiff enough to support the weight of the car with no air In the tire. I say that for the rest of the public. personally I think the MME has a stuff enough ride and would not do anything to make it worse.

I will also say I have driven the drive guard it's a decent tire. Probably the most comfortable run flat in the market. but compared to a touring tire built for comfort it's harsh.

PS I was using AAA as an example.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So I donā€™t know if anybody else watched the side-by-side for lack of a better term drag race between the Mach e GT and the GT performance version video! The GT beat the performance version every time it was basically I think a 0 to 60 race, anyways, and for what I was reading or watching the only thing that really gives the performance version more torque or the Perelli tires so those pretty much look like the tires that were on all my gas powered mustang Expensive, The Continental that come on my GT are nice. Iā€™m not sure what I would go with in the future but they seem like pretty decent tire.
Are you talking about the video someone did in a cold parking lot a couple years ago?

All that video did was remind us that summer tires donā€™t like cold weather and that extra torque is meaningless if you canā€™t hook up.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you talking about the video someone did in a cold parking lot a couple years ago?

All that video did was remind us that summer tires donā€™t like cold weather and that extra torque is meaningless if you canā€™t hook up.
I donā€™t think it was that but it was this Ford dealer doing the video or it was somebody that they give cars to for testing but I was told that the only reason the GT with the performance package has more either horsepower torque is the Perelli tires itself and Iā€™m thinking that possibly the performance pack has some heavier items in it than the standard GT and thatā€™s why the standard GT got to 60 quicker time, Anyways, thatā€™s what I heard was the difference was in the tires that made the difference in power between the two is all I heard

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I donā€™t think it was that but it was this Ford dealer doing the video or it was somebody that they give cars to for testing but I was told that the only reason the GT with the performance package has more either horsepower torque is the Perelli tires itself and Iā€™m thinking that possibly the performance pack has some heavier items in it than the standard GT and thatā€™s why the standard GT got to 60 quicker time, Anyways, thatā€™s what I heard was the difference was in the tires that made the difference in power between the two is all I heard
Iā€™m not trying to prove a point I was just wondering why because I was told that the whatever electric motors whatever is in these vehicles are the same between the GT performance and the GT and the GT performance had like the upgraded suspension some different wheels on it, but they specifically said that the difference was in the tires that made the power more. Thatā€™s all Ican say so like I said Iā€™m not trying to prove anything. Iā€™m not arguing over it. Iā€™m just curious how they came up with that and I heard that and saw that so I just went with it.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
I didn't want the GTPE over the GT for elapsed time differences.
I wanted that suspension.

Although I imagine if there was better aftermarket support for the analog suspension, I'd have been just as happy throwing the $5k at coilovers. I've certainly done it before. If the right kit was available, I'd probably prefer the analog, in fact.

Regardless, I'm still thrilled with how good of a job Ford did with the GTPE suspension. They are usually way too conservative (Buick) for my taste.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The GTPE does have more tq, but only 34 lb feet. The old theory was that was why they came with stickier summer tires- to handle the extra torque. Now you can get all seasons standard on a GTPE though.

In real world testing, all the fastest 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are from GTPE and not the GT.

The GTPE is definitely faster when it can get traction.

That said, the real world testing also shows the GT is faster than the 3.8 advertised time while the GTPE has almost never hit the 3.5. They are close enough that whoever gets better traction will win.

The issue is traction. The only below 3.5 0-60 posted came at a sticky drag strip and of course from a GTPE.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The GTPE does have more tq, but only 34 lb feet. The old theory was that was why they came with stickier summer tires- to handle the extra torque. Now you can get all seasons standard on a GTPE though.

In real world testing, all the fastest 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are from GTPE and not the GT.

The GTPE is definitely faster when it can get traction.

That said, the real world testing also shows the GT is faster than the 3.8 advertised time while the GTPE has almost never hit the 3.5. They are close enough that whoever gets better traction will win.

The issue is traction. The only below 3.5 0-60 posted came at a sticky drag strip and of course from a GTPE.
Like I said, Iā€™m all new stuff. I saw some other things where the motor gets more of something this right here is from a guy that basically tested both models and just reading his article. Iā€™m happy I got the GT.

ā€œ The 34 pound feet of more torque is hardly noticeable. Most of the 0.2 second advantage is down to the summer tires even as per Ford. In day to day, there is virtually no difference in performance that youā€™ll feel. So if you're buying a GTPE over a GT for performance, you're not gonna notice any difference.ā€

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like I said, Iā€™m all new stuff. I saw some other things where the motor gets more of something this right here is from a guy that basically tested both models and just reading his article. Iā€™m happy I got the GT.

ā€œ The 34 pound feet of more torque is hardly noticeable. Most of the 0.2 second advantage is down to the summer tires even as per Ford. In day to day, there is virtually no difference in performance that youā€™ll feel. So if you're buying a GTPE over a GT for performance, you're not gonna notice any difference.ā€
Agree with that quote for sure.

Reasons to buy the GTPE are the wheels, seats, brakes and suspension. The extra tq is a small bonus but barely noticeable.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree with that quote for sure.

Reasons to buy the GTPE are the wheels, seats, brakes and suspension. The extra tq is a small bonus but barely noticeable.
Thought I would comment on the key reasons I purchased the GTPE in order of importance. First is the Suspension and by that, mainly the MagneRide Active Shocks that I had to have. I've replaced the springs (better ride) and sway bars (better handling) but unless you spend thousands of dollars, you cannot add those shocks and would be fairly difficult anyway. My last two cars had them and for me, they are well worth the extra price of the GTPE alone. Seats were my number two reason. Again, last two cars had Recaro seats and while these aren't, they are close in fit and firmness. Third are the brakes but the standard brakes on the MME are really good. That is all for me. Wheels and tires don't mean anything to me since I replace them as soon as I buy any car and the extra torque like most have said is barely noticeable.

Last edited:

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thought I would comment on the key reasons I purchased the GTPE in order of importance. First is the Suspension and by that, mainly the MagneRide Active Shocks that I had to have. I've replaced the springs (better ride) and sway bars (better handling) but unless you spend thousands of dollars, you cannot add those shocks and would be fairly difficult anyway. My last two cars had them and for me, they are well worth the extra price of the GTPE alone. Seats were my number two reason. Again, last two cars had Recaro seats and while these aren't, they are close in fit and firmness. Third are the brakes but the standard brakes on the MME are really good. That is all for me. Wheels and tires don't mean anything to me since I replace them as soon as I buy any car and the extra torque like most have said is barely noticeable.
The reason I got the GT was the Wife wanted the heated seats I didnā€™t care for the wheels so I changed out the wheels right away. I actually got those for $800 out the door for American muscle couple months ago and Ford because it took a week and a half to let me have my car they went ahead. Did the wheel swap for free didnā€™t charge me. Where I was quoting that guy that was talking about he didnā€™t notice the difference in torque. He also had mentioned that he was not that impressed with the magna ride. He thought it was gonna really smooth everything out and he said he really didnā€™t notice the ride difference I know my wife thinks the GT rides rough. I didnā€™t know if it would ride a little smoother. I didnā€™t gamble on purchasing that magna ride package.

IMG_7419.jpeg

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
I'd be surprised if someone couldn't discern the difference in a back-to-back ride between Magnaride and non.
It's not subtle.

I'm not saying everyone would prefer the Magnaride, but it's not placebo marketing.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd be surprised if someone couldn't discern the difference in a back-to-back ride between Magnaride and non.
It's not subtle.

I'm not saying everyone would prefer the Magnaride, but it's not placebo marketing.
AGREE!

I can see a salesperson, or anyone else for that matter, taking both cars out for a test drive and coming back saying there is basically no difference. Why? Because they probably took it around the block or maybe even drove a mile or two but since they aren't familiar at all with either car, of course they can't tell any difference.

Besides the four active struts/shocks, the system has height sensors at each corner and the VDM (Vehicle Dynamic Module only in the GTPE) communicates with 7 other vehicle modules so it is not just some fancy shocks. Also, the system monitors the ambient temperature so that the valving is consistent no matter if it is hot or cold outside.

From the Mach-E repair manual of the Vehicle Dynamic Suspension System Operation and Component Description:

The VDM is connected to the FD-CAN to communicate with the ABS module, the PCM, PSCM, IPC, GWM, RCM and BCM. With the information received from these modules and the height sensors, the VDM monitors the heave, roll, pitch, cornering, braking, acceleration of the vehicle and outside ambient temperature. Based on this information the VDM calculates the best action for each individual valve solenoid (struts/shocks).

It is very difficult to explain to someone how the car drives and handles since it changes constantly depending on many variables. Bottom line, it handles and rides better than a car without this system.

My pet peeve is I am not able to adjust these parameters like I am able to in the Focus RS and GT500. The Unbridle drive mode is not firm enough for my liking nor is it for a few others (HuntingPudel for one). DSC Sport (https://www.dscsport.com/) produces custom VDM's for many cars and I purchased them for my other two cars with MagneRide suspension and it's so nice to be able to tweak the active shocks to your liking. Two and a half years ago I contacted them to ask if they would be interested in designing one for the Mach-E. I sent them photos of the VDM (taken out of the car), connector and wiring diagrams, etc. They said not interested. Last year, contacted them again and they still aren't interested. Very frustrating....

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
AGREE!

I can see a salesperson, or anyone else for that matter, taking both cars out for a test drive and coming back saying there is basically no difference. Why? Because they probably took it around the block or maybe even drove a mile or two but since they aren't familiar at all with either car, of course they can't tell any difference.

Besides the four active struts/shocks, the system has height sensors at each corner and the VDM (Vehicle Dynamic Module only in the GTPE) communicates with 7 other vehicle modules so it is not just some fancy shocks. Also, the system monitors the ambient temperature so that the valving is consistent no matter if it is hot or cold outside.

From the Mach-E repair manual of the Vehicle Dynamic Suspension System Operation and Component Description:

The VDM is connected to the FD-CAN to communicate with the ABS module, the PCM, PSCM, IPC, GWM, RCM and BCM. With the information received from these modules and the height sensors, the VDM monitors the heave, roll, pitch, cornering, braking, acceleration of the vehicle and outside ambient temperature. Based on this information the VDM calculates the best action for each individual valve solenoid (struts/shocks).

It is very difficult to explain to someone how the car drives and handles since it changes constantly depending on many variables. Bottom line, it handles and rides better than a car without this system.

My pet peeve is I am not able to adjust these parameters like I am able to in the Focus RS and GT500. The Unbridle drive mode is not firm enough for my liking nor is it for a few others (HuntingPudel for one). DSC Sport (https://www.dscsport.com/) produces custom VDM's for many cars and I purchased them for my other two cars with MagneRide suspension and it's so nice to be able to tweak the active shocks to your liking. Two and a half years ago I contacted them to ask if they would be interested in designing one for the Mach-E. I sent them photos of the VDM (taken out of the car), connector and wiring diagrams, etc. They said not interested. Last year, contacted them again and they still aren't interested. Very frustrating....

I had read a previous post you mentioned about the aftermarket VDM not being available. And I think I asked if anyone had mapped out the Asbuilt for the VDM yet? If I recall, not yet.

The Powerboost I ordered with what Ford calls CCD. Continuous Controlled Damping. I'm not sure why it didn't qualify to be called Magnaride, but it's it's a very similar architecture. And like the Mach-E, disappointingly they hitch it to the driver's mode rather than leaving it independent like they do on the Raptor. I say disappointingly because the damping curve in "Sport" is so much more composed than Normal mode. But if you choose to drive in Sport mode, you lose the ability to leverage EV mode. For some bizarre reason Ford decided that you don't want to leverage the benefits of the Hybrid if you are using the Sport mode 10r80 shifting strategy. Incredibly short sighted.

Anyways, sorry for the mini-rant. I absolutely love the truck and have enjoyed 3 years of Powerboost ownership immensely.

So eventually the Forscan gurus mapped out the VDM module and there were several HEX values representing the weight of the vehicle at each corner. So although it's a bit crude in the approach, compared to a custom VDM, you can spoof the variable damping valve algorithm by increasing/decreasing the static weight value. I increased it by 20% and added RAS springs to the rear suspension. The combination, along with a rear anti-sway bar, has tamed the underdamped solid axle/leaf pack with an empty cargo bed while in Normal mode.

I feel like I'm getting my cake and eating it too. Better active damping curve in Normal mode, and the added fuel economy of Hybrid drivetrain. And the 570ftlbs of torque can get that big brick scooting with a fair amount of composure, for a truck.

I'd love to be able to tweak the VDM on the MachE if the Asbuilt was understood. But regardless, and Fortunately, Ford didn't miss the mark on the GTPE, for ME, compared to the CCD on the F150.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had read a previous post you mentioned about the aftermarket VDM not being available. And I think I asked if anyone had mapped out the Asbuilt for the VDM yet? If I recall, not yet.

The Powerboost I ordered with what Ford calls CCD. Continuous Controlled Damping. I'm not sure why it didn't qualify to be called Magnaride, but it's it's a very similar architecture. And like the Mach-E, disappointingly they hitch it to the driver's mode rather than leaving it independent like they do on the Raptor. I say disappointingly because the damping curve in "Sport" is so much more composed than Normal mode. But if you choose to drive in Sport mode, you lose the ability to leverage EV mode. For some bizarre reason Ford decided that you don't want to leverage the benefits of the Hybrid if you are using the Sport mode 10r80 shifting strategy. Incredibly short sighted.

Anyways, sorry for the mini-rant. I absolutely love the truck and have enjoyed 3 years of Powerboost ownership immensely.

So eventually the Forscan gurus mapped out the VDM module and there were several HEX values representing the weight of the vehicle at each corner. So although it's a bit crude in the approach, compared to a custom VDM, you can spoof the variable damping valve algorithm by increasing/decreasing the static weight value. I increased it by 20% and added RAS springs to the rear suspension. The combination, along with a rear anti-sway bar, has tamed the underdamped solid axle/leaf pack with an empty cargo bed while in Normal mode.

I feel like I'm getting my cake and eating it too. Better active damping curve in Normal mode, and the added fuel economy of Hybrid drivetrain. And the 570ftlbs of torque can get that big brick scooting with a fair amount of composure, for a truck.

I'd love to be able to tweak the VDM on the MachE if the Asbuilt was understood. But regardless, and Fortunately, Ford didn't miss the mark on the GTPE, for ME, compared to the CCD on the F150.
I have also contacted those gurus over at FORScan and they still have not been able to produce an as built for the VDM. When I saw they did it for the F-150 I was all excited thinking the MME would be next but that was a long time ago and still nothing. I would rather have a completely programable VDM from DSC Sport but since that may never happen keeping my fingers crossed we will get to play with our VDM someday.
Sponsored

Last edited: