First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I noticed on the French version of the SYNC settings screen, there is an option stating "Tire repair kit" and next to it in a less contrasting color: "1 year."

What does that mean? Something in the kit expires, and this is a reminder?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? Tire repair kit
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
We have seen them in videos under the trunk space. Not sure if it has been listed anywhere.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
IIRC "Fix-A-Flat" is considered viable for up to 2 years in its can. Exactly what Ford is using is another story. Can't find much information on it via Google either.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
This what I was referring to. In the video it is called an inflation kit.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? Annotation 2020-09-04 140700

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
to add to what others have said, it depends on the exact kit. The one that came with my Fusion was... 3 years maybe? but I bought one off eBay that had 5 years. They have an expiration date clearly printed on them, and then yes, the car will remind you to replace it.

to be clear it takes your word for it on the expiration - there's no automatic knowledge of the duration. You tell it when to reset and you control how long it resets for, at least on a 2013 Fusion. Too lazy to go check the gf's 2017 C-Max left dash screen menus right now.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Handy video. It's nice to know what to expect. The GT at the Washington Auto Show also had an electric inflator, presumably with the sealant as described in this video. There isn't room in the Mach E rear area for a spare tire.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? IMG_5241
Not positive, but I do believe there is another floor under that shelf. The lowest level is where that styrofoam block with the tire repair kit is normally located. (And where a spare tire could be IF it were deep enough but it seems that it won't be deep enough for it.)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not positive, but I do believe there is another floor under that shelf. The lowest level is where that styrofoam block with the tire repair kit is normally located. (And where a spare tire could be IF it were deep enough but it seems that it won't be deep enough for it.)
All I know is this was under the fake floor. Can’t say if there’s another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The upper floor that is being held up by someone in the photo you posted... It's removable and it can also be dropped down to a few inches lower.

My Fiesta is set up this same way. In between the shelf and the lower floor, I keep stuff I rarely need like jumper cables and maybe a blanket. Again, no 100% guarantee, but this is what I'm expecting for the Mach-E hatchback.

Three photos showing the upper floor in its higher position, that floor held up revealing the hidden lower/soft floor, and that sort/carpeted floor held up revealing the spare tire and tire iron:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? IMG_20200904_202332

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? IMG_20200904_202358_exported_3945359699643137508

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? IMG_20200904_202412

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
to add to what others have said, it depends on the exact kit. The one that came with my Fusion was... 3 years maybe? but I bought one off eBay that had 5 years. They have an expiration date clearly printed on them, and then yes, the car will remind you to replace it.

to be clear it takes your word for it on the expiration - there's no automatic knowledge of the duration. You tell it when to reset and you control how long it resets for, at least on a 2013 Fusion. Too lazy to go check the gf's 2017 C-Max left dash screen menus right now.
My 2014 Fusion Hybrid (assembled September 13th, 2013) is already seven years old, and I have never seen any reminder appear in the DIC. I have never used the sealant (labeled "Motorcraft Temporaray Mobility Kit") with an expiration date of August 2018, although I have used the compressor a few times. I believe that if the sealant canister is whole and unused, it will last longer than five years.

Here is a Ford Australia how-to video showing how to use it. The black hose is for air only. The clear capped hose is for the sealant, and is attached to that canister, so both are replaced together after use.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Just FYI, sealant is no good when your daughter pulls too close to the curb and punctures the sidewall. I speak from experience with the Fusion Energi - not that I tried to use it. Car had to be towed to the dealer which really irritated me for a flat tire. First we lost our spares, and now we have even lost our donuts. What is the world coming to?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My 2014 Fusion Hybrid (assembled September 13th, 2013) is already seven years old, and I have never seen any reminder appear in the DIC.
There's a date printed on the canister somewhere. The reminder is a setting in the left screen settings.

I just went to my car to show some pictures:

Here's the date on my just-replaced unit (newer style):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? 1600470459422

For the older style, it's on the round canister that is removable from the rest of the unit.

Here's the reminder time length setting:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? 1600470510148

And here's the page from my 2013 Fusion Hybrid/Energi manual (it's the same book) that mentions the expiration:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? 1600470552830

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just FYI, sealant is no good when your daughter pulls too close to the curb and punctures the sidewall. I speak from experience with the Fusion Energi - not that I tried to use it. Car had to be towed to the dealer which really irritated me for a flat tire. First we lost our spares, and now we have even lost our donuts. What is the world coming to?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Does a tire repair kit expire? 1600470890600
Sponsored