Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was out and about last night, and while running errands I noticed that my right front tire had lost a few pounds of pressure (it was down to 34 psi...nothing major, but 6 psi less than the other tires). Instead of seeking out a gas station to get air, I just broke out my tire repair kit, plugged it into my 12V outlet in the center console, and inflated the tire on the spot. The inflator hose has a threaded end that screws onto the valve stem and makes it easy to inflate without having to hold it in place. Since the pump isn't very fast, this is a nice feature (adding 6 pounds of pressure took about 30 seconds or so). The pressure gauge on the repair kit was accurate (tested it against my own hand-held gauge). Took only a couple of minutes and I was on my way.

Just make sure you have the selector switch set to "inflate" and not "repair".

I was definitely happy to have another reason to avoid a gas station.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Used the pump on our lawn mower. Worked well. That repair goo is bad news, afraid it would ruin the pump.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Used the pump on our lawn mower. Worked well. That repair goo is bad news, afraid it would ruin the pump.
I think the pump is still good after using the repair 'goo'. The repair 'goo' canister has to be replaced after use (or after 4 years), but according to Ford, the pump will continue to work after using it to repair a tire.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag
Great to hear the pump works well, thanks for the report. I'm curious, what's supposed to be in underneath the pump in trunk? There's an empty form for something in mine (perhaps a tow hook?)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Great to hear the pump works well, thanks for the report. I'm curious, what's supposed to be in underneath the pump in trunk? There's an empty form for something in mine (perhaps a tow hook?)
It's another place to put your password.

Just kidding... It's for the toe hook for European models. On North American models it's where you put your weed.

Last edited:

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
I think the pump is still good after using the repair 'goo'. The repair 'goo' canister has to be replaced after use (or after 4 years), but according to Ford, the pump will continue to work after using it to repair a tire.
I almost immediately got a set of plugs and the pair of tools with them. Usually it's a nail or wood screw in the tread that's gotten me in the past. Easier IMO than the 'goo'.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I almost immediately got a set of plugs and the pair of tools with them. Usually it's a nail or wood screw in the tread that's gotten me in the past. Easier IMO than the 'goo'.
That’s all well and good, as long as you can get access to the part of the tire that has the puncture in it. My personal experience has been that when I puncture a tire, it’s ALWAYS along the inside edge of the tire.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s all well and good, as long as you can get access to the part of the tire that has the puncture in it. My personal experience has been that when I puncture a tire, it’s ALWAYS along the inside edge of the tire.
You mean not flush in the tread, ie. inner sidewall where a plug wouldn't be appropriate anyway? If front I've always been able to turn the wheels to make it easier. There rear is always a pain if trying to fix w/o removing the wheel (assuming the object is still present), but I've done it in a pinch wheel-on (not an MME).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's another place to put your password.

Just kidding... It's for the toe hook for European models. On North American models it's where you put your weed.
It's where I store a spare house key. I figure with PaaK, one day I'll leave without a house key and my wife will accidentally lock me out.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
You mean not flush in the tread, ie. inner sidewall where a plug wouldn't be appropriate anyway? If front I've always been able to turn the wheels to make it easier. There rear is always a pain if trying to fix w/o removing the wheel (assuming the object is still present), but I've done it in a pinch wheel-on (not an MME).
Ono I mean closer to the center of the car than the edge of the car, but still in the tread. You know, where it would be a pain in the buttocks to try to put a plug in the tire while it’s still on the car.

Last edited:

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"accidentally" he says!
Well, I haven't met @ChasingCoral yet. But his wife is very nice and I think *almost* as enthusiastic about Marlin as is he. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...it would be accidental. :)
Sponsored