Tire Repair Kit after Use (is hose full of sealant)?

TheMustang

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Enterprise Architect
Country flag
I, sadly, had a flat tire by hitting something that instantly flattened my front left tire (only 696 miles on the car).
I initially tried to use the Tire Repair Ket, but the sealant was leaking out between the tire and rim, so I had to get a tow to the dealership for a new tire ($439.24 out-the-door 😞).

As I used the Tire Repair Kit, is the hose still filled with sealant so that I can't use it again in just inflation mode without putting some sealant in what I'm inflating? Or is the amount in the hose insignificant so as to not have to worry about any residual sealant (I know I have to replace the sealant if I want to use the kit for selling purposing again)?

I can't find the answer to this in the forums, or on the general internet.

Thank you!
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I, sadly, had a flat tire by hitting something that instantly flattened my front left tire (only 696 miles on the car).
I initially tried to use the Tire Repair Ket, but the sealant was leaking out between the tire and rim, so I had to get a tow to the dealership for a new tire ($439.24 out-the-door 😞).

As I used the Tire Repair Kit, is the hose still filled with sealant so that I can't use it again in just inflation mode without putting some sealant in what I'm inflating? Or is the amount in the hose insignificant so as to not have to worry about any residual sealant (I know I have to replace the sealant if I want to use the kit for selling purposing again)?

Thank you!
Per the owner's manual, and as you stated, the sealant kit is usable for one tire repair and then must be replaced:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

So you may as well replace it to be ready for the next emergency.

I'm not sure how much dealers charge for the replacement, but the OEM for the sealant kit is Slime and the current cost at Amazon (ships from and sold by) is less than $27:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07329WT8F

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag

Thank you!
I believe the replacement canister has the new hose attached. It may be cheaper to buy the intact inflator at a junk yard. I think this inflation unit has been used in Ford cars for years.

Of note: once the sealant is put into a tire the fix is always a replacement of the tire. It can’t be patched.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah who knows. You're supposed to pump air after the sealant so that would maybe push it out of the hose, but maybe not completely. I would just replace it.

BTW the tire sealant is only going to fix small punctures (such as a nail), it's not going to fix something as gross as a tire knocked off the rim like you had. If it's more than a nail, just call a tow truck next time.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I had to use this a few days after I bought my MME. I can confirm the replacement cannister of sealant comes with a new hose. Do not reuse the original hose if you used the sealant

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Don't the instructions state to empty the whole can? The whole thing should be a one-time use.

Don't forget to replace the canister as well (for the next time!)
Sponsored