Don't put too much weight in the trunk!

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
I weighted a bag, it's 12kg. 20x12kg is 240kg or 530 pounds.

Yes, I will edit the original post to call out the cover in its upper position won't support 530 pounds!
PXL_20210910_225136450.jpg
Thanks for posting this. It may *seem* like common sense, but I've loaded up my '08 Escape Hybrid with over 700 lbs of bags of garden stuff at least three times with no problems so I could see myself doing this when I eventually take delivery on my MME. Now planning to drop the cover to the lower position as soon as I get the vehicle.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
I'm sorry but 20 bags of dirt is not a small bit. I have a ?
1. Is why so much black dirt in bags.
2. Why not have dirt delivered if u need a lot black dirt delivered is not that expensive.
3. Rent a truck hd or Menards $20 for 75 min buy ur stuff then rent the truck.
4. Call a friend with a truck.

I get u want to move stuff but like it's a small SUV it's not designed to haul a ton of weight in the trunk. Just to me seemed like you did not have proper equipment for the job. Always check where ever ur loading alot of weight that it can support it

MichaelScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I filled my trunk with the platform in the lower position with 15 rolls of fresh (damp) sod, each of which probably weighed 40 ish pounds. No problems, perhaps used a bit more battery on the way home than I otherwise would have.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
This is where the Ford F150 Lightning would be an excellent choice of EV.

Reactions: ARK

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
There are reports that some EV owners pull into camp grounds with 240 outlets, plug in and use the back to sleep. There is a website that sells a mattress that would fit the MME, but I don't think it would be comfortable if you had to have the shelf on the lower setting with the bump up to the back of the rear seats. You could find something to put under it to support it in the raised position.

mreynaga

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Sel
Country flag
I filled my trunk with the platform in the lower position with 15 rolls of fresh (damp) sod, each of which probably weighed 40 ish pounds. No problems, perhaps used a bit more battery on the way home than I otherwise would have.
I just did the same thing, but I didn't have the platform down and I heard a few "pops" on the way home and saw the braces hanging off. I think the biggest flaw in that particular design is there no middle brace on the back end (on the seat side) to help support the lifted floor.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
This is a Ford, not a BMW. Heck I've carried far heavier loads in my Lincoln Town Car trunk. I disagree with those who seem to imply you shouldn't have even considered hauling modest gardening materials in a Ford SUV.
Seeing the pic of the broken part, I'd say a rating of 300# is highly optimistic. Ford needs to clearly state in its literature the limited nature of that floor when in the elevated position...now we know the weak link are those all-plastic brackets.
After seeing the original poster's failed part, no way would I sit or sleep with that "floor" in the elevated position...it's crying for an elevated plywood platform....whether for camping or hauling.
I suspect that bracket comes with plastic butterfly ends that can be readily popped into place, albeit just once. Those ends have now just broken off and fallen down someplace inside the trunk trim. A new bracket is probably an easy replacement, although it may take a month for your Dealer to get a new part. Definitely should be covered under warranty.
Let us know how the dealer responds.
The factory rubber mat is definitely sharp-looking!

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
I had the same problem. I thought, hey this is an SUV so I'm going to use it like one and loaded it up with 8 bags of cement and 4 bags of gravel: 680 lbs. I have to admit to not realizing there was an upper and lower position for the cargo floor - I have the all weather mat so kind of hid that fact. After driving a short way I heard a loud pop followed shortly by another loud pop. Both supports broke off - now I know it has a lower position!

@Farfapapa were you ever able to get it fixed or find replacement parts?

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD with Tech pkg
Country flag
@Graction I never had to take the car to the dealer so far, but, i did call a dealer to take my windshield recall appointment last week, mentioning this problem to them at the same time.

The service person told me that they had another case of this before, and that "Ford" refused the claim. I told the person that once i take the car in for the recall (they have a long waitlist, it'll take at least 3 months), i'll want to discuss that again with them and make my case (no disclaimer on max weight mentioned anywhere, no indications at the delivery of the car that this cargo floor thing could be moved). I'll try to argue a bit.

I'm now more concerned with a tiny rust spot that appeared on the right side of the car, toward the back of it (not a spot likely to be hit by any stone or anything). That's what i'll want to argue about! It was not even a year old when i spot it..

If you are successful with anything, let me know!

Stephenhanlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
@Graction I never had to take the car to the dealer so far, but, i did call a dealer to take my windshield recall appointment last week, mentioning this problem to them at the same time.

The service person told me that they had another case of this before, and that "Ford" refused the claim. I told the person that once i take the car in for the recall (they have a long waitlist, it'll take at least 3 months), i'll want to discuss that again with them and make my case (no disclaimer on max weight mentioned anywhere, no indications at the delivery of the car that this cargo floor thing could be moved). I'll try to argue a bit.

I'm now more concerned with a tiny rust spot that appeared on the right side of the car, toward the back of it (not a spot likely to be hit by any stone or anything). That's what i'll want to argue about! It was not even a year old when i spot it..

If you are successful with anything, let me know!
Were you ever successful in getting it repaired through warranty?

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD with Tech pkg
Country flag
I didn't try yet. I've been waiting for the car dealer to call me for the windshield recall since June 2022. Last i checked with them, i was 7th in line. I think they do 1 car every 2-3 weeks based on the time it takes them to call me back to schedule that recall.

I never had to do any servicing since i got the car. The recall will be the first time i go since i got the car, and that's when i'll try!

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In the future try keeping your trunk in the lower position under those clips. Gives you more room and the rubber protection mat in the trunk fits way better if you have one.
Thanks, I kept wondering why the fit seems like the mat is too big. I'll move my floor tongiht.
[/QUOTE]
Glad I'm just seeing this, as it has been driving me crazy that the rubber mat doesn't fit right now. Personally I think it's dumb that it doesn't fit with the base in the upper or lower position. I can't put in the lower position b/c that's where I keep the first aid and road emergency kit stored under the base. Oh well!

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Thanks, I kept wondering why the fit seems like the mat is too big. I'll move my floor tongiht.
Glad I'm just seeing this, as it has been driving me crazy that the rubber mat doesn't fit right now. Personally I think it's dumb that it doesn't fit with the base in the upper or lower position. I can't put in the lower position b/c that's where I keep the first aid and road emergency kit stored under the base. Oh well!
[/QUOTE]
You could put those in the Frunk or in the side compartments in the Trunk. Just depends on how badly you want the mat to fit.
Sponsored