Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Prem MME DMG AWD Ex Batt
Country flag
From what I see, they over sized the tap hole for the anchor bolts. So the tap wouldn't cut deep enough threads and the bolts might not hold. Seems like the solution would be to start over with new plates, but maybe not feasible. I would think you would either use a tap that uses the hole they made, or enlarge the hole to the next larger tap size.
My dealer has had my MME almost a week and has hired some machine shop crew to "drill out the bolts". What could be going on here and why should it be necessary. Seems if you screwed the bolt in, you could just unscrew it and do one of the above. Any ideas?
TIA
Don Central VA
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
From what I see, they over sized the tap hole for the anchor bolts. So the tap wouldn't cut deep enough threads and the bolts might not hold. Seems like the solution would be to start over with new plates, but maybe not feasible. I would think you would either use a tap that uses the hole they made, or enlarge the hole to the next larger tap size.
My dealer has had my MME almost a week and has hired some machine shop crew to "drill out the bolts". What could be going on here and why should it be necessary. Seems if you screwed the bolt in, you could just unscrew it and do one of the above. Any ideas?
TIA
Don Central VA
Here's the procedure:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/what-does-seat-belt-recall-entail.14120/post-341256

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanx for that recall directive and detailed instructions. Talked to the service manager today when he called to say MME was done. Turns out that they broke the tap on the first hole. Can only imagine how tough it is to remove (drill out). That's where the outside machine shop guys came in. It was dealer tech who broke it. Maybe tapping is not a normal activity taught at Ford school. I've come close to breaking taps. LOTS of tapping fluid and slow going!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’m kind of surprised there are still vehicles out there that need this done. Ford had a stop-sale on unsold cars and I don’t think that many with the issue were sold before the problem was discovered.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got mail requests for recall but ignored them since no one has ever ridden in the back. Probably only got caught since they had it in for 22P32 & 22B50, and to also do 21C36.
Never had such a problematic car, or even a Ford. Maybe last for both. Even when MME is working, the control system is so sluggish as to be a distraction, checking to see if button presses (screen or steering wheel) took. Nothing like canceling 79mph ACC, pulling into 35mph exit lane and having it want to accelerate back to 79 !
Sponsored