Driving mode customization

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
For the FFE and C-Max owners out there, how do regeneration and one-pedal mode work?

My interpretation is Unbridled will still have heavy regeneration with one-pedal off, it just won’t stop for you.
I only have the hybrid (non-plugin) C-Max so can't say much. It has no one-pedal mode. But it does have the regen with the blended brakes. And you can't tell the diff w/ brakes vs regen. Well, you can but only if you hit a bump where the front wheels lose some traction. Then the car lunges forward a little because it only regens with the front wheels. You let your foot off the go pedal and it will regen as well as you slow; it's tuned like an automatic.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
For the FFE and C-Max owners out there, how do regeneration and one-pedal mode work?

My interpretation is Unbridled will still have heavy regeneration with one-pedal off, it just won’t stop for you.
FFE didn't have 1-pedal mode. The only thing it had was put the shifter into L which increased off pedal regen to make it feel like a low gear but that wouldn't bring the car to a complete stop.

The Bolt does have 1-pedal mode by shifting into "L" (yeah confusing): Lifting your foot off the accelerator will regen to a stop but it does not engage the friction brakes (like the Mach-E will do).
The problem is as others have stated at present in all the ford info so far you will get different levels of lift off regen depending on the mode, where as with one pedal mode active you will always get maximum regen on lift off.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes, but as we have blended braking on the mach-e when I push on the anchors if that comes from regen or friction I don't care the system should be able to work out what is the best way to reduce speed based on the amount I am pushing the pedal.

As the potential amount of regen available is a variable that can change depending on the battery state, it is due to this variable as to why I would prefer the lift off to just coast, if you lift off in an ice sure you can get different levels depending on the gear you are in, but you are generally going to get a constant result, if you lift off and regen is unavailable due to battery state the you are not going to get the result expected, I shouldn't have to quickly look at the dash to determine potential regen state to see what the outcome of lifting off will be.
Right but Ford has not said what kind of lift-off regen you'll get when 1-pedal mode is off.

My assumption has been (yeah I know about assuming) that you'll get no regen when lifting your foot off the accelerator when 1-pedal is off because that is exactly what an ICE does and 1-pedal off is an attempt to mimic an ICE (likewise when you're stopped and lift your foot off the brake you'll get creep).

In the different modes (Whisper, Normal, and unbridled) and 1-pedal off my assumption also is that pressing the brake pedal will get you different levels of regen and different levels of hard/soft braking.

Yes I could be wrong since we don't have much info about 1-pedal off (Ford has really been talking up about how nice it is to drive in 1-pedal mode) but given the behavior of other BEV's and PHEV"s I've driven I think this is how it will go.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
They will coast, but less.

I think they did a good description here:
Yeah I've watched that twice now and think that the entire discussion there is talking about 1-pedal mode on especially considering that is the discussion where they talk about defaulting it to on.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I've watched that twice now and think that the entire discussion there is talking about 1-pedal mode on especially considering that is the discussion where they talk about defaulting it to on.
I don't get that at all from watching it. Before they talk about 1-pedal mode he talks about tip-in and tip-out. I don't think that has anything to do with it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't get that at all from watching it. Before they talk about 1-pedal mode he talks about tip-in and tip-out. I don't think that has anything to do with it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Indeed we'll know in a short few months....

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
His descriptions of the modes in the video are definitely with 1-pedal driving off. He says that Engage has a regen braking level similar to engine braking in an ICE and Whisper has very light regen that’s more like coasting. How could either of those be the case with 1-pedal driving on?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
His descriptions of the modes in the video are definitely with 1-pedal driving off. He says that Engage has a regen braking level similar to engine braking in an ICE and Whisper has very light regen that’s more like coasting. How could either of those be the case with 1-pedal driving on?
I didn't hear it that way at all. "regen braking" could easily mean with your foot off the pedal. Especially the description of the braking for entering a turn...

We'll know in a few months anyway (I do keep saying that I could be wrong despite my strenuous arguments LOL).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually, the "sparkly lights" in the MME are simple graphics on the binnacle behind the steering wheel. On the ID.4 there is actually a much larger distracting LED strip that runs the length of the dash.

Oh, and yes you can turn off the sound effects. Yes you can turn on or off the one pedal. The 3 modes simply select how aggressively the car responds to small movements in the accelerator pedal. In all three if you mash the pedal to the floor it goes full speed, but if you put it down 1/3 of the way the 3 modes behave differently - so it's not just regen controlled by the mode.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag

I have a Fusion Energi. There is some Regen as soon as I lift off accelerator pedal, not much but some. That's probably similar to whisper or engage with 1pd off. I've driven Volts and Leafs with 1pd on, totally different experience.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have a Fusion Energi. There is some Regen as soon as I lift off accelerator pedal, not much but some. That's probably similar to whisper or engage with 1pd off. I've driven Volts and Leafs with 1pd on, totally different experience.
Yeah, the Fusion Energi regen in "coast" is light enough that I can't really feel it. But I can see on the dash it's doing regen.

There's a hill assist mode in the Energi that isn't really well explained in the manual and I've never had a chance to use, but I have assumed would up the regen.

The hybrid C-Max in L feels one-pedal-adjacent to me. When the Gf test drove one before buying it , she accidentally shifted to L at first, and after some discussion we decided it felt like how we'd expect one pedal to feel in that car.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 3 modes simply select how aggressively the car responds to small movements in the accelerator pedal. In all three if you mash the pedal to the floor it goes full speed, but if you put it down 1/3 of the way the 3 modes behave differently - so it's not just regen controlled by the mode.
Also, I believe, steering responsiveness.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The inability to easily change the regenerative braking level on the fly is a concern of mine as well. My Outlander PHEV has paddles on the steering wheel for quickly changing between 6 levels or regen, and I use them all the time.
Same sort of paddles on the Niro EV and Electric Kona, but I guess we"ll have to wait and experiment by ourselfes and then demand improvement changes via OTA. :)

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
FFE didn't have 1-pedal mode. The only thing it had was put the shifter into L which increased off pedal regen to make it feel like a low gear but that wouldn't bring the car to a complete stop.

The Bolt does have 1-pedal mode by shifting into "L" (yeah confusing): Lifting your foot off the accelerator will regen to a stop but it does not engage the friction brakes (like the Mach-E will do).

Right but Ford has not said what kind of lift-off regen you'll get when 1-pedal mode is off.

My assumption has been (yeah I know about assuming) that you'll get no regen when lifting your foot off the accelerator when 1-pedal is off because that is exactly what an ICE does and 1-pedal off is an attempt to mimic an ICE (likewise when you're stopped and lift your foot off the brake you'll get creep).

In the different modes (Whisper, Normal, and unbridled) and 1-pedal off my assumption also is that pressing the brake pedal will get you different levels of regen and different levels of hard/soft braking.

Yes I could be wrong since we don't have much info about 1-pedal off (Ford has really been talking up about how nice it is to drive in 1-pedal mode) but given the behavior of other BEV's and PHEV"s I've driven I think this is how it will go.
In the Bolt one pedal mode, I still have to apply the brakes after rolling to a stop to activate the brake lights so people know i am stopped. Any word on how MME handles lights? This has been a frequent debate with othe BEV drivers as to which behavior they prefer.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
In the Bolt one pedal mode, I still have to apply the brakes after rolling to a stop to activate the brake lights so people know i am stopped. Any word on how MME handles lights? This has been a frequent debate with othe BEV drivers as to which behavior they prefer.
Yeah sometimes I sit there with the lights off and sometimes I hold the brakes--depends on how fast the car behind me approaches. I figure its like someone driving a stick--sometimes you use the brakes after stopping and sometimes you don't.

I believe that the Mach-E will keep the lights on as well as hold the vehicle in place with the friction brakes with your foot off the accelerator in 1-pedal mode (that was in a presentation at some point).
Sponsored