Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The problem is as others have stated at present in all the ford info so far you will get different levels of lift off regen depending on the mode, where as with one pedal mode active you will always get maximum regen on lift off.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes, but as we have blended braking on the mach-e when I push on the anchors if that comes from regen or friction I don't care the system should be able to work out what is the best way to reduce speed based on the amount I am pushing the pedal.
That is actually what is happening with Tesla's, when battery is full because they have a very light buffrer.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I believe that the Mach-E will keep the lights on as well as hold the vehicle in place with the friction brakes with your foot off the accelerator in 1-pedal mode (that was in a presentation at some point).
Yes it will hold the vehicle and keep the taillights on automatically. That’s exactly how the Auto Hold works in our 2020 Explorer. It’s really a great feature.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes it will hold the vehicle and keep the taillights on automatically. That’s exactly how the Auto Hold works in our 2020 Explorer. It’s really a great feature.
Putting on my "software developer" hat:

Logically the 1-pedal driving mode would just map the top X% of accelerator travel to the brake pedal. Then the software doesn't really have to change..lifting your foot off the accellerator is exactly the same as pressing the brake pedal by Y% (where Y=100-F(X) where F() maps X to some curve based on the drive mode).

Of course this would mean that the brake pedal would be completely drive by wire and not engage the brakes at all when pressed....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For the FFE and C-Max owners out there, how do regeneration and one-pedal mode work?

My interpretation is Unbridled will still have heavy regeneration with one-pedal off, it just won’t stop for you.
As already mentioned, neither the C-Max nor FFE have 1 pedal mode. I think the battery size in the C-Max makes it prohibitive. The FFE could've technically had it but the software engineers at the time didnt want the range penalty....especially with the early battery version. Even so, the regen ability is much stronger in the FFE compared to the C-Max. I presume that is due to the larger motor or battery or both. ??

They both do have variable regen but its foot controlled with the brake pedal. There is a special spring in the pedal assembly that mimics a hydraulic system and transparent to the driver....almost. Keep pushing harder and a cam lever actuated and the hydraulic system blends in. Very hard to distinguish but if you know what you are looking for you can tell when that point occurs. Eventually the owners get to know their car and can live in "regen world". There is a brake coach that helps get the max regen every time.

I do like how the Bolt does it. Having those paddles on the steering wheel is more convenient then having to move your foot back and forth.

From what I hear....there was a very strong debate in Team Edison about making 1 pedal the default mode in the MME. Eventually the max efficiency folks lost out to the max convenience folks. Makes sense when you think about it because the variance between the two is minimized as the motor and battery size increase. Probably was a valid concern on the FFE but not so much on the MME.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
As already mentioned, neither the C-Max nor FFE have 1 pedal mode. I think the battery size in the C-Max makes it prohibitive. The FFE could've technically had it but the software engineers at the time didnt want the range penalty....especially with the early battery version. Even so, the regen ability is much stronger in the FFE compared to the C-Max. I presume that is due to the larger motor or battery or both. ??

They both do have variable regen but its foot controlled with the brake pedal. There is a special spring in the pedal assembly that mimics a hydraulic system and transparent to the driver....almost. Keep pushing harder and a cam lever actuated and the hydraulic system blends in. Very hard to distinguish but if you know what you are looking for you can tell when that point occurs. Eventually the owners get to know their car and can live in "regen world". There is a brake coach that helps get the max regen every time.

I do like how the Bolt does it. Having those paddles on the steering wheel is more convenient then having to move your foot back and forth.

From what I hear....there was a very strong debate in Team Edison about making 1 pedal the default mode in the MME. Eventually the max efficiency folks lost out to the max convenience folks. Makes sense when you think about it because the variance between the two is minimized as the motor and battery size increase. Probably was a valid concern on the FFE but not so much on the MME.
How the FFE's brake pedal works (FYI for anyone reading):

Attachments

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Of course this would mean that the brake pedal would be completely drive by wire and not engage the brakes at all when pressed....
I think I heard them say in the performance video (#4) that brake pedal is mostly regen, and the physical brakes only kick in to provide additional braking if you really smash it.

I really don't know how it will actually work, but my impression has been that turning One-Pedal Mode on simply turns regen to MAX (kinda like MAX A/C). But when One-Pedal is off, then the regen level is determined by drive mode (Whisper lowest, Normal medium, Unbridled higher).

But I think we've heard them say each setting is customizable, so I'm hoping there's also a manual Regen setting (from NONE to MAX, with levels in between). Don't really know though.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think I heard them say in the performance video (#4) that brake pedal is mostly regen, and the physical brakes only kick in to provide additional braking if you really smash it.
Yeah, I remember hearing that also. Additionally, I think I read somewhere that Engage Mode has efficiency tools available to those that want it. I expect it to be like the efficiency coach in the Energi and Focus Electric models. If so, then we may be able to see regen levels and the point there the hydraulic service brakes tip in.

In regards to the "L" position in the FFE and C-Max. That is handy in heavy traffic. The sort where you dont come to a complete stop but nearly so. In those scenarios, both my wife and I like to use the "L" position since it is fairly similar to 1 pedal mode in other EVs....just without any help from the service brakes. If you have to come to a complete stop. Then your foot has to be on the brake pedal (at least in the C-Max and FFE's case).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
As long as eventually there will be the option for me to have the steering in the sportiest setting but keep the lift off regen in the weakest I will be happy, as I really don't like light vague steering.

Sure light steering can help in car parks, but going on initial specs the mach-e is going to blessed with the same woeful turning radius that plagues the focus st/rs and c-max where even the simplest turn suddenly becomes a 3 point or more :(, making the steering lighter isn't helping solve the problem lol

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
As long as eventually there will be the option for me to have the steering in the sportiest setting but keep the lift off regen in the weakest I will be happy, as I really don't like light vague steering.

Sure light steering can help in car parks, but going on initial specs the mach-e is going to blessed with the same woeful turning radius that plagues the focus st/rs and c-max where even the simplest turn suddenly becomes a 3 point or more :(, making the steering lighter isn't helping solve the problem lol
38.1 feet is nearly as bad as Focus RS (38.7 feet) but much better than the 2004 Dodge SRT-4 I owned with an horrible 41 feet! I looked like I was doing my first driving lesson when I wanted to park ?