Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have a MY21 Job 1 Premium 4X. I plugged it into mg FCCS last night and it was set to charge the battery to 90%. This morning, I checked in on the battery using FORScan Lite:
Displayed battery percentage (on the IP): 87%
From FORScan:
HEVBAT_PWR_REMAIN: 83.54%
H_BAT_CHAR: 83.88%
BAT_TO_EMPTY_ESTIM: 74.558 KWH
So, 74.558 / 0.8388 = 88.89 KWH. I thought Ford unlocked an additional 3 KWH of battery capacity for us a while back, so shouldn’t I have 91 KWH, not 88.89 KWH?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
[scratches head]

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...how-much-battery-did-i-use.33853/#post-757003

" Remember that actual battery capacity varies with temperature, so it’s nearly impossible to reconcile numbers like you’re trying to do. "

" The battery does not have 91 kWh when cold. More like 80-85 kWh usable. If you remote stated that might not be included in mi/kWh either. Aging also brings it down.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have a MY21 Job 1 Premium 4X. I plugged it into mg FCCS last night and it was set to charge the battery to 90%. This morning, I checked in on the battery using FORScan Lite:
From FORScan:
So, 74.558 / 0.8388 = 88.89 KWH. I thought Ford unlocked an additional 3 KWH of battery capacity for us a while back, so shouldn’t I have 91 KWH, not 88.89 KWH?
What's your battery health %? Take that out of 91 kWh (assuming battery is at room temp).

So if you're 95% health and charged to 87% this is the calculation: 95% * 87% * 91 kWh = 74 kWh which is pretty close to what you had.

Not sure why it didn't charge to 90%.

RogueLegend

First Name
Shadi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD
[scratches head]

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...how-much-battery-did-i-use.33853/#post-757003

" Remember that actual battery capacity varies with temperature, so it’s nearly impossible to reconcile numbers like you’re trying to do. "

" The battery does not have 91 kWh when cold. More like 80-85 kWh usable. If you remote stated that might not be included in mi/kWh either. Aging also brings it down.

I've been wondering about total capacity as well. I just bought a 2023 Premium Ext 2 months ago. I've only charged to 100% once since then, but I only saw about 88.9 KWh at that time. The ambient temperature was approximately 65-70 degrees. Other times I've calculated the percentage, and it seems to come in low.

I figured I'd give it a break in period before really digging into it, and I just hit 1K miles this week. I'll be taking my first long range trip (~200 miles one way) next week. I've seen 3.5 mi/KWh on a few of my shorter 65 mph trips, I'm hoping this translates into a 300+ mile total range, but the fact that I haven't seen any numbers that suggest a 91 KWh usable capacity on a new battery is a bit annoying....

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've been wondering about total capacity as well. I just bought a 2023 Premium Ext 2 months ago. I've only charged to 100% once since then, but I only saw about 88.9 KWh at that time. The ambient temperature was approximately 65-70 degrees. Other times I've calculated the percentage, and it seems to come in low.

I figured I'd give it a break in period before really digging into it, and I just hit 1K miles this week. I'll be taking my first long range trip (~200 miles one way) next week. I've seen 3.5 mi/KWh on a few of my shorter 65 mph trips, I'm hoping this translates into a 300+ mile total range, but the fact that I haven't seen any numbers that suggest a 91 KWh usable capacity on a new battery is a bit annoying....
Battery was cold, it needs to be 75°F or more.

There’s no guarantee the battery was sold at 100% health, if you got a 2023 sitting on the lot for months the battery may have lost a few percent health in that time, which is normal.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ambient temp right now is 70F. I will look for the battery health parameter (I don’t know the same, so hopefully “health” is in it?)

I’ve no idea why it didn’t charge to 90% either. Looking at the charge history, it started at 19% and completed at 89%.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dude! Where’s My Battery (Capacity!) IMG_1420

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
From FORScan:
Phenomenal! Only a 2% battery loss in 3 years. Hope I’m that lucky. But it’s sort of like trying to figure out if my F250 tank is really 28 gallons or only 27.9. And for those using the charge history, 51kw can probably range to 51.99. Don’t really know because I don’t really care.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Phenomenal! Only a 2% battery loss in 3 years. Hope I’m that lucky. But it’s sort of like trying to figure out if my F250 tank is really 28 gallons or only 27.9. And for those using the charge history, 51kw can probably range to 51.99. Don’t really know because I don’t really care.
How did you figure I have a 2% battery loss? I’ve been trying to figure that out.

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
How did you figure I have a 2% battery loss? I’ve been trying to figure that out.
91 to near 89. Depending on actual decimal amounts would be 2-3%.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
91 to near 89. Depending on actual decimal amounts would be 2-3%.
No, if you take the kWh divided by the "real" SoC, that will give you the maximum charge capacity (which you can never reach because of the top buffer), and that number should be taken out of 99 kWh gross to find the current health. So if using real SoC, divide by 99 instead of 91.

Jim, just go find the SoH parameter with the Car Scanner app. FORScan doesn't have it. Based on what you posted you're around 94% health which is not bad for a 3-year old battery.

FYI the FORScan parameters might not be correct or accurate for a Mach-E. I haven't looked at them in a while to verify accuracy.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No, if you take the kWh divided by the "real" SoC, that will give you the maximum charge capacity (which you can never reach because of the top buffer), and that number should be taken out of 99 kWh gross to find the current health. So if using real SoC, divide by 99 instead of 91.

Jim, just go find the SoH parameter with the Car Scanner app. FORScan doesn't have it. Based on what you posted you're around 94% health which is not bad for a 3-year old battery.

FYI the FORScan parameters might not be correct or accurate for a Mach-E. I haven't looked at them in a while to verify accuracy.
Thanks! I’ll do that and report back. I think I was using FORScan instead of car scanner because FORScan was free.
Sponsored