TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would definitely be desperation time. But yeah, such is the compromise involved with a BEV road trip. I'll be treating it like a challenge when we do a Vegas drive with the Mach-E in the Spring. Although after that, I expect we'll just take the Escape on future trips. It's just easier all-around. But I do want to try it once in the Mach-E for the challenge.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That looks like a pretty good drive on ABRP. Doable in a day with 4 stops, 2 of them <20 minutes. That's a lot more palatable that the Vegas drive (6 stops), almost 3 hours of charging. Pretty much turns it into a 2-day drive now. :confused:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's probably true in terms of backups. Haven't looked at backup options much as hope to hell I don't have to resort to some L2 trickle charge during a road trip drive day. That would sure suck.

I-70 looks pretty thin in both directions. But once on I-15 it looks like there's a couple more EA back-up options if one is down.

Assuming you got the ER battery, and if you were OK with adding maybe 30-60 minutes to the whole drive you might be able to live in the upper (slower-charge) part of the SOC, and have enough to get you to the next charger if you had to skip one because it was not working. The Flagler stop is probably required (longest leg) but after that it looks like you could make it to a leapfrogged EA charger if you charge up to 95% or so each time.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wasn't counting Golden since that's still too close to home to bother with. Are you counting stations, or chargers at each station? I only see 3 EA stations (Frisco, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction). Are they some non-EA that are 150kW? Or did you mean there's some 50k's in there somewhere?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I flew international for 32 years. I was always taken aback when on a layover somewhere, anywhere (Taipei, Seoul, Penang etc), a bunch of fellow crewmembers would suggest we all go to ... Costco. The reason? "They're all different. I want to see what they have that I can't get in Peoria." No, thanks. There's a Buddhist (or Shinto or) temple and grounds about 1/2 a mile away. I'll be there.

I pretty much look at passing time in Target or Walmart along I-whatever while charging the same way. Just no.
This is one of the great reasons why we need more DCFCs installed in town centers. It may be a little ways off the interstate but communities are getting smart and making their towns short-term destinations. I stopped in a wonderful little town in PA with a DCFC right in the town center with restaurants, theaters, shops and public art. In Townsville, Australia one went into the waterfront area with dining, museums, and the aquarium. There are wonderful little museums that only take about an hour to see and are far more entertaining than Walmart. Not to mention much better restaurants than Arbys & Golden Arches. If only the ice cream parlor had been open in that PA town!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cool. Looks like a few semi-slow backups in CO, at least, if EA is down.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wow. I thought we read in the story about the guy sleeping while his Tesla drove that FSD will limited below 90 mph. I guess you must have the Performance model to do your shore trips at 200 mph! ;)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed. We'd all love a thousand 350 kW chargers in every state, of course, but it's a matter of priorities and limited resources. And enough demand to produce the revenue to support it.
Sponsored