pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You know who pays JD Power, right? You might want to research that.
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting article about Tesla

Tesla's dirty little secret: Its net profit doesn't come from selling cars

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/31/investing/tesla-profitability/index.html
Thanks, already knew this years ago.
What these articles don't tell you is how much Tesla spends on CAPEX for growth. All new companies need to spend money to make money, especially auto manufacturers. Look at so the newer EV companies in China. Only one is posting positive net income. It'll continue this way during the growth phase. Tesla's gross margins are fine, so once the CAPEX on all the factories are done with, they might actually be profitable without the help from FCA.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
UPDATE: Today I took delivery of my new 2021 Model Y Long Range AWD. I brought a long an extensive checklist of items to look out for, especially since I was very weary of the quality concerns. I must have walked around that car 15 times looking at everything, and I didn't find 1 thing that I needed to bring to the sales team attention. This includes the outside and inside. It was raining/snowing outside, so maybe I missed something, so I'll check again when the weather permits. I didn't see any panel gap issues, or anything else misaligned. The only 2 issues I had to ask was about the streaming radio -- Tesla hadn't activated my premium account yet (did it as I left), and my USB drive was not properly formatted (Tesla now gives you a USB drive, which is located in the glove box for Sentry Mode and Dash Cam). Again, I'm going to check everything over when everything is dry. The car drives great and feels comfortable. I'm very happy with the decision. I'd really like to test drive a MME just to see the comparison (@KAustin - talking to you - we can switch cars for a test drive, haha). Here are some tidbits:
- VIN: 108XXX
- 4 Miles at delivery
- IT HAS A HEATED STEERING WHEEL! I wasn't expecting this
- I looked at the 'extras' in the toolbox and entertainment. I'll probably never use 99% of them, especially the farting whoopie cushion -- so stupid
- In Virginia, the front license plate is mandatory, but Tesla didn't install it. They put the plate on the bracket, and left the bracket in the trunk. I'll leave it there for now.
- The car is able to view, read, and send text messages; therefore I could care less that it doesn't have Apple Car Play. Its nav is based on Google Maps, which is fine for me.
- I haven't used a public charger yet, but plugged it into my JuiceBox 40 at home and there's no issue (knock on wood). I'm going to find a public charger and test it out there tomorrow.

I know this is a Mach-E Forum, but just wanted to give an update on my experience. I have no idea were my 'Mach-E' is right now. It's still set for delivery on 20 Feb, so if anyone wants to get to Springfield, VA, there should be a Premium ER Infinite Blue for sale. I'm happy for everyone that is starting to receive their cars. It's been a damn long wait for all of us.
- Dave
Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review IMG_4644
Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review IMG_4646

Last edited:

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
UPDATE: Today I took delivery of my new 2021 Model Y Long Range AWD.
- I looked at the 'extras' in the toolbox and entertainment. I'll probably never use 99% of them, especially the farting whoopie cushion -- so stupid
Oh, you'll use them. Especially if you have kids in the car.

Games and streaming video are great when you waiting for someone. You'll notice the multi-channel audio imaging and screen quality is much better than expected.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
UPDATE: Today I took delivery of my new 2021 Model Y Long Range AWD. I brought a long an extensive checklist of items to look out for, especially since I was very weary of the quality concerns. I must have walked around that car 15 times looking at everything, and I didn't find 1 thing that I needed to bring to the sales team attention. This includes the outside and inside. It was raining/snowing outside, so maybe I missed something, so I'll check again when the weather permits. I didn't see any panel gap issues, or anything else misaligned. The only 2 issues I had to ask was about the streaming radio -- Tesla hadn't activated my premium account yet (did it as I left), and my USB drive was not properly formatted (Tesla now gives you a USB drive, which is located in the glove box for Sentry Mode and Dash Cam). Again, I'm going to check everything over when everything is dry. The car drives great and feels comfortable. I'm very happy with the decision. I'd really like to test drive a MME just to see the comparison (@KAustin - talking to you - we can switch cars for a test drive, haha). Here are some tidbits:
- VIN: 108XXX
- 4 Miles at delivery
- IT HAS A HEATED STEERING WHEEL! I wasn't expecting this
- In Virginia, the front license plate is mandatory, but Tesla didn't install it. They put the plate on the bracket, and left the bracket in the trunk. I'll leave it there for now.
- The car is able to view, read, and send text messages; therefore I could care less that it doesn't have Apple Car Play. Its nav is based on Google Maps, which is fine for me.
- I haven't used a public charger yet, but plugged it into my JuiceBox 40 at home and there's no issue (knock on wood). I'm going to find a public charger and test it out there tomorrow.

I know this is a Mach-E Forum, but just wanted to give an update on my experience. I have no idea were my 'Mach-E' is right now. It's still set for delivery on 20 Feb, so if anyone wants to get to Springfield, VA, there should be a Premium ER Infinite Blue for sale. I'm happy for everyone that is starting to receive their cars. It's been a damn long wait for all of us.
- Dave
Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review IMG_4646
Good news. Maybe they are working out their QC issues finally. Continue to keep us posted - especially if you and @KAustin do a swap for a day.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seriously, just do some research on your own and make your own judgement. It's obvious whatever I say is wrong. Here, I'll start it for you:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Edmunds: Mach E vs. Tesla Model Y comparison review 1612273151823

Hint, I have an accounting and finance degree. You might want to do more research on capital expenditures and how companies can use the depreciation on the asset to their advantages.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
Tesla finally issued the recall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...creen-failures-11612270332?mod=tech_lead_pos1

Tesla Recalls Roughly 135,000 Vehicles Over Touch-Screen Failures

Safety action is one of the electric-car maker’s largest to date

Tesla Inc. TSLA 5.83% is recalling roughly 135,000 Model S luxury sedans and Model X sport-utility vehicles over touch-screen failures, one of the electric-car maker’s largest-ever safety actions.

The move comes after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requested a recall last month, saying the touch screen in some models can fail when a memory chip runs out of storage capacity, affecting functions such as defrosting, turn-signal functionality and driver assistance. The agency said the problem affected roughly 158,000 vehicles, including Model S sedans built between 2012 and early 2018 and Model X vehicles made from 2016 through early 2018.

The reason for the discrepancy between the NHTSA’s figure and the number of vehicles Tesla plans to recall wasn’t immediately clear.

Tesla said in a letter to federal regulators made public Tuesday that while it disagreed that the issue constituted a defect in the vehicles, it was going ahead with a recall to conclude the investigation and provide a better experience for customers.

“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.

While the recall will be modest compared with other car-safety measures, which sometimes affect millions of vehicles, the action represents a relatively large number of Teslas. The company delivered around 500,000 vehicles globally last year, roughly 40% of them in the U.S., according to market-research firm Motor Intelligence. Tesla doesn’t break out its sales by region.

The electric-vehicle maker recalled some 123,000 of its Model S cars in 2018 over a finding that some bolts corroded in cold weather, which could lead to power-steering failures.

Tesla is on much better financial footing than it was three years ago. The company has reported six profitable quarters in a row, and its cash holdings totaled around $19.4 billion at the end of last year. Its market valuation of around $796 billion as of Monday was larger than that of the next nine largest auto makers combined, according to a Dow Jones Market Data analysis of FactSet data.

Federal regulators have said that the problem with Tesla’s touch screens can take around five to six years to manifest. Tesla has tried to use over-the-air updates to remedy the problem, but those efforts have been insufficient, regulators said.

Roughly 12,600 vehicles had already experienced these touch-screen problems as of last summer, when Tesla provided data to regulators. All of the touch screens in the roughly 158,000 affected vehicles eventually would fail, the regulator has said it was told by Tesla.

The recall comes as the auto industry is struggling with a computer-chip shortage that has disrupted production world-wide.

Tesla said that it would replace hardware for free as part of the recall, but would do so in phases due to parts constraints.

Deliveries of Model S and Model X vehicles, Tesla’s higher-end offerings, have waned recently. The company said last week that it is refreshing both models.

Write to Rebecca Elliott at [email protected]

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Oh, you'll use them. Especially if you have kids in the car.

Games and streaming video are great when you waiting for someone. You'll notice the multi-channel audio imaging and screen quality is much better than expected.
No kiddos for me (yet). Actually, last night I tried one of the 'games'.....some beach buggy thing where you use the steering wheel and brake to control the game action. It was pretty cool. I could see myself using that if I'm waiting at a supercharger or something.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's there in the screen shot at the top.

So you're admitting that the capital expenditures affects the bottom line? Why not just say that in the first post.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Tesla finally issued the recall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...creen-failures-11612270332?mod=tech_lead_pos1

Tesla Recalls Roughly 135,000 Vehicles Over Touch-Screen Failures

Safety action is one of the electric-car maker’s largest to date

Tesla Inc. TSLA 5.83% is recalling roughly 135,000 Model S luxury sedans and Model X sport-utility vehicles over touch-screen failures, one of the electric-car maker’s largest-ever safety actions.

The move comes after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requested a recall last month, saying the touch screen in some models can fail when a memory chip runs out of storage capacity, affecting functions such as defrosting, turn-signal functionality and driver assistance. The agency said the problem affected roughly 158,000 vehicles, including Model S sedans built between 2012 and early 2018 and Model X vehicles made from 2016 through early 2018.

The reason for the discrepancy between the NHTSA’s figure and the number of vehicles Tesla plans to recall wasn’t immediately clear.

Tesla said in a letter to federal regulators made public Tuesday that while it disagreed that the issue constituted a defect in the vehicles, it was going ahead with a recall to conclude the investigation and provide a better experience for customers.

“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.

While the recall will be modest compared with other car-safety measures, which sometimes affect millions of vehicles, the action represents a relatively large number of Teslas. The company delivered around 500,000 vehicles globally last year, roughly 40% of them in the U.S., according to market-research firm Motor Intelligence. Tesla doesn’t break out its sales by region.

The electric-vehicle maker recalled some 123,000 of its Model S cars in 2018 over a finding that some bolts corroded in cold weather, which could lead to power-steering failures.

Tesla is on much better financial footing than it was three years ago. The company has reported six profitable quarters in a row, and its cash holdings totaled around $19.4 billion at the end of last year. Its market valuation of around $796 billion as of Monday was larger than that of the next nine largest auto makers combined, according to a Dow Jones Market Data analysis of FactSet data.

Federal regulators have said that the problem with Tesla’s touch screens can take around five to six years to manifest. Tesla has tried to use over-the-air updates to remedy the problem, but those efforts have been insufficient, regulators said.

Roughly 12,600 vehicles had already experienced these touch-screen problems as of last summer, when Tesla provided data to regulators. All of the touch screens in the roughly 158,000 affected vehicles eventually would fail, the regulator has said it was told by Tesla.

The recall comes as the auto industry is struggling with a computer-chip shortage that has disrupted production world-wide.

Tesla said that it would replace hardware for free as part of the recall, but would do so in phases due to parts constraints.

Deliveries of Model S and Model X vehicles, Tesla’s higher-end offerings, have waned recently. The company said last week that it is refreshing both models.

Write to Rebecca Elliott at [email protected]
WTF? This is the true Tesla and why I won't buy a car from them:
"It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.
Sponsored