Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Welcome to public charging where a percentage of chargers are broken.

I've parked at EV spots and not plugged in because the charger was "non-functional" for some reason- didn't accept payment, did not start the charge, marked as unavailable on app, etc.

Normally I plug in, but why fake it when the charger is busted. This has happened with ChargePoint, Greenlots, NovaCharge, etc.
My Fusion’s battery is so teensy-tiny that I have to move to find a functional charger if I find one that doesn’t work. So, I’m never in an EV spot and not charging.

Back when my mom was in and out of the hospital, most of the cars that were parked in the charging spots were ICEing. There were usually a few ICE vehicles, but more often than not the ICEers we’re EVs, who should know better. I usually stopped by security and notified them. Not sure if they did anything or not. I never saw a ticket on the ICEing cars.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Extra signage seems silly - I would think it would go without saying that EV parking spots are for charging. But then again, some EV owners might just be delusional enough to think they deserve a special spot for their car regardless of whether they need to charge. It’s not like this is the only instance of special treatment - car pool lanes, massive tax breaks, etc.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Extra signage seems silly - I would think it would go without saying that EV parking spots are for charging. But then again, some EV owners might just be delusional enough to think they deserve a special spot for their car regardless of whether they need to charge. It’s not like this is the only instance of special treatment - car pool lanes, massive tax breaks, etc.
It’s funny but at the hospital there were usually more EVs ICEing the chargers than EVs charging, so I guess at least at this one hospital on the days I have been there, there are more delusional EV drivers than ones with sense.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I come across this all the time. EVs parked in EV charging spaces without actually charging. Teslas drivers are notorious for this but I see other brands parked without charging as well. Some signs are very clear and specify that you must be charging to use the spot. Other are super vague like this one I came across over the weekend. I plugged in (white Jeep), the car to the left (Kia BEV) was not plugged in. Not sure if you can see in the photo....but the sign has the No Parking symbol and under that it reads "Except Electric Vehicles" Then in super fine print it references the A.R.S. number (Arizona Revised Statute) related to EV parking. Which by the way doesn't require active charging (if I read it correctly). Gotta love Arizona.... :rolleyes:

20211106_131131.jpg

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
This is my first BEV, so just curious what the polite thing to do is.

At our local mall, there are a group of 8 parking spaces right up front that say, “Electric vehicle parking only.”

They also have a set of ChargPoint pay to charge chargers.

So my question is this: If you park there, do you have to charge?

I noticed that only about 1/3 of the cars were plugged in.
With an ICE vehicle, would you PARK at a gas pump (without fueling) while shopping at the mall?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I come across this all the time. EVs parked in EV charging spaces without actually charging. Teslas drivers are notorious for this but I see other brands parked without charging as well. <snip>
My guess is that since Brand T has such a big market share more of them are seen to be flaunting it just based on numbers in the wild. More than half of the EVs I see ICEing chargers are Brand T.

Reactions: ARK

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Personaly. I have yet to see EV parking with no chargers. Thats a new one to me. I actually did see, a handicap spot at an EV charging station. That was a first also.
I saw some at the Wright Brothers monument/museum at Kill Devil Hills, NC. There were about 6 spots up front with no chargers. That’s the only ones that I have seen.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I've seen numerous people talk about putting the chargers at the back of the lot to avoid this. It's really the only effective solution because people are lazy and don't care if you need to charge. The other solution is for municipalities to pass and enforce ordinance's.

On a side note EA charges $.40/min starting 10 minutes after your charging is complete to keep you from over staying your welcome while charging.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I come across this all the time. EVs parked in EV charging spaces without actually charging. Teslas drivers are notorious for this but I see other brands parked without charging as well. Some signs are very clear and specify that you must be charging to use the spot. Other are super vague like this one I came across over the weekend. I plugged in (white Jeep), the car to the left (Kia BEV) was not plugged in. Not sure if you can see in the photo....but the sign has the No Parking symbol and under that it reads "Except Electric Vehicles" Then in super fine print it references the A.R.S. number (Arizona Revised Statute) related to EV parking. Which by the way doesn't require active charging (if I read it correctly). Gotta love Arizona.... :rolleyes:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electric car Parking etiquette? 20211106_131131
Super weird mindset. I mean geez, why would people even think to occupy a spot if they don’t intend to charge? Bizarre.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The company I work for is evaluating a proposal for a joint venture in California where the facility wants us to share a portion of the up front costs in exchange for a portion of the revenue generated by public use.

The only way we would consider that is if they provide 24hr security patrols to identify and tow vehicles that are parking without paying either by actively charging or paying the idle/parking fee once charging is completed. Either would work.

They are looking at charging units that have cameras that identify when a vehicle enters the parking space and it starts a timer. If the vehicle doesn't initiate a charge in a certain amount of time then it e-mails a photo to the facility manager and the tow company on contract.

Something like that might be effective so we are somewhat interested and discussing further. Not sure we are going to submit a bid but we are talking about it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
With an ICE vehicle, would you PARK at a gas pump (without fueling) while shopping at the mall?
Back when I used to go to gas stations, I would see people leave their cars parked at the gas pump all the time while they went inside to shop in the convenience store. The line of cars waiting to use the gas pumps never seemed to phase them. A lot of people just suck at being good humans.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Super weird mindset. I mean geez, why would people even think to occupy a spot if they don’t intend to charge? Bizarre.
Yep. After the Kia drove off it wasn't 30 seconds later that a Tesla drove up and did the very same thing.

20211106_131548.jpg

• Haha

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Back when I used to go to gas stations, I would see people leave their cars parked at the gas pump all the time while they went inside to shop in the convenience store. The line of cars waiting to use the gas pumps never seemed to phase them. A lot of people just suck at being good humans.
Yeah, it’s sadly a people thing, not linked to any car brand. You see the same sort of thing with those designated spots where the store brings what you bought curbside - people will just park in them and go shopping.

Agree that the simplest solution is to make the charging spots inconvenient. That way, people who need a charge will still put up with it, and people just looking for easy parking will skip it, unless of course it’s a busy period and the whole lot is full.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I dont doubt some people would. In all my years on earth. I have seen many many dopes. And just plain rude folks to. My hum
I saw some at the Wright Brothers monument/museum at Kill Devil Hills, NC. There were about 6 spots up front with no chargers. That’s the only ones that I have seen.
Thanks Tampa Mike, been to the outer banks half a dozen times. Cinsidering another home there. Btw, lived in Tampa to. Had my mrs in graduate school.at USF. I look all over for chargers now. I spot them being built around me in Jersey to. ?

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
What if some one really need to charge their electric car, good thing is to leave it open if not charging
Sponsored