Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not at all. You seem to forget again that Interstate Highways pass through cities and those cities are not necessarily destinations.

If someone drives from Chicago to Miami, they pass through Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon, Gainesville, Orlando, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale along the way. Those are cities but they are not the traveler's destination. Charging is essential to make that trip. Placement is a choice. You seem to prefer dropping the chargers all between cities in vacant land with perhaps a McDonalds to eat. I prefer some of those chargers be placed in locations with real food and that not only serve through travelers but also locals. A charger in Indianapolis serves both people driving from Chicago to Louisville and people in Indianapolis. A charger in a rest stop half way between Gary and Lafayette only serves highway travelers.

Yes, to do the most good the chargers should be close to the Interstate but that is not a challenge.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. I agree with that. But there may be some locations where again, you can kill the two birds with one stone.
Agree that EA needs a few for the travelers going thru a city rather than starting/stopping there. Denver for instance, would ideally have 1 or 2 on the I-25 route, and 1 or 2 on I-70 route. Unfortunately EA placed 6 there with 4 more coming soon.

Instead of 10 in that metro area, I'd rather see 4, with the other 6 enabling routes like I-80 or I-90. And one in Kingman between Phoenix and Vegas.

But they probably get more "convenience" usage in the cities, thus more revenue. Even though that's not nearly as essential as route-enablers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My point is simply that there is value to placing high-speed DCFCs in cities where they can serve both local and transiting drivers. I said nothing about whether chargers already exist in my example cities and see no need to discuss the details of placement within them. I already stated they should be close to Interstates.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Your belligerence is glaring again @JayTee, and I'm uninterested in playing your games.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Fine. Please post like you are.

Please provide where these installations cost $0.5M. Even the expensive numbers I've seen posted by experts don't exceed $350,000 and that's for a large charger installation. Many installations are just a one, two, or three chargers.

The route I listed was to make one point and one point only: cities are not only destinations. They are often waypoints along a route. When planning placement of chargers, there is value of placing some of them in cities, not just between cities. Shopping/dining hubs near Interstates are good sites for multi-DCFC facilities as they serve dual purposes. @zhackwyatt made the same point. I already gave an example from your own state.

As to your sudden interest in the MS-LA region, I'm really surprised you are now suggesting placing a charger between two cities only 130 miles apart when Jackson doesn't even have a DCFC. It makes much more sense to put one IN Jackson, MS as a bridge between the chargers in Hammond, LA and Winona, MS and to beef up those slow chargers in Winona.

OP
OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
That's a really neat report. I'll have to dig into it when I'm not in meetings all day. But man, the metro charging vs highway charging numbers are not what I expected. Metro charging is getting 2x the investment of highway charging, but highway chargers are getting the higher powered chargers which makes sense.
Sponsored