Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Nite Pony 2023
Occupation
NA
Country flag
About 6 months ago, my 2023 Mach-E Premium range estimation reporting (also called GOM) became erratic. I have had Mach-Es since 2021 and had become accustomed to the battery state of charge (SOC) metrics being consistent for my typical driving routes and conditions. Ford service recently checked the motive battery (HVB) and did not identify any problems. I believe there is a problem in the Ford battery SOC range estimation software. Or the problem may be in the HVB current measuring hardware.

The relevant metrics are SOC=State of Charge %, KWh-Added to 100% from SOC level, actual trip distance vs SOC measured against odometer or Trip 1, miles per KWh. I have been keeping a trip log, since Ford deleted this from the Ford Pass app. I suspect Ford knows there is a software problem and the trip log would help analyze it.
I typically get 3.7-3.9 mi/KWh for general highway driving.
What is your experience?

After more consideration, the problem may be faulty HVB current sensing hardware. See for example Understanding Current Sensing in HEV/EV Batteries .
I have noticed the FordPass App typically reports my home Level 2 charging at 6KW while the Charge Point charger reports 7.5KW.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ToOldForThis

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Technical Analyst
I typically get 3.7-3.9 mi/KWh for general highway driving.
What is your experience?
Those are some really good numbers for a Mach E. I don't get anywhere near that. For highway driving, I usually see about 2.7 mi/kwh. Mine is an AWD, and I know that brings it down a little.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I can't imagine getting that on the highway unless you are driving 55. I get 2.9 at best.

Reactions: RLW

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do not do much general highway driving but your stated mi/kWh seems high for that. That would equate to about 330 miles of range at highway speeds. With no experience I can’t argue with your results but CA highways are for the most part over 65 MPH so your numbers seem high. If not the kudus to you for that kind of range!

OP
OP
bbachrac

bbachrac

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NA
Country flag
Those are some really good numbers for a Mach E. I don't get anywhere near that. For highway driving, I usually see about 2.7 mi/kwh. Mine is an AWD, and I know that brings it down a little.
I have a 2WD and typically drive at the speed limit plus ~5mph. My typical route is relatively flat or up and down. I recently logged a 189 mile trip which included an elevation change of 1,000'. The recharge was 45KWh on the FordPass app which is 4.2 mi/KWH. My Charge Point reported the charge as 52KWh which would be 3.6 mi/KWh.
In any case, my main objective is not be able to make it to a charger....

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can't imagine getting that on the highway unless you are driving 55. I get 2.9 at best.
Yeah, as hard as I try, probably doing 65 average when I get on the open road with the air conditioner on 72 windows closed I have those Michelin cross climate two tires on there and I carry quite a bit of tools and junk in the front which I don’t know why but I just love having tools on board, but I’m lucky to get 2.6 2.7 at the best Unless I’m driving around town like 3.5 .

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You left “I ignore the GOM and rely on the fuel gauge” option. 🤷‍♂️🐩

medriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ME
Country flag
I mean the other morning I arrived at my destination with more range then when I left, I thought it was funny. We should have a thread for shit the guess o' meter does.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have a 2WD and typically drive at the speed limit plus ~5mph. My typical route is relatively flat or up and down. I recently logged a 189 mile trip which included an elevation change of 1,000'. The recharge was 45KWh on the FordPass app which is 4.2 mi/KWH. My Charge Point reported the charge as 52KWh which would be 3.6 mi/KWh.
In any case, my main objective is not be able to make it to a charger....
So when you say highway, what speed is that exactly? 60? 70? 80?

Tnuctihs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Developer
Country flag
My range guesstimate used to be pretty accurate until my most recent OTA update to display the "optimum" range achievable. Now it's just plain ridiculous.

In the cold, approximately 6-10°C, the GoM over estimates massively, and says I have 30% more range than I am actually able to manage on my 40 mile commute.

In warmer weather, approximately 20°C, it under estimates my range by about 10%, and this evening I drove 20 miles before the GoM even changed.

I've had the Mach-E for over 2 years, and I know the actual range achievable in all weather. If I were a new owner, and I believed what it now tells me, I would end up stuck at the side of the road!

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My range guesstimate used to be pretty accurate until my most recent OTA update to display the "optimum" range achievable. Now it's just plain ridiculous.

In the cold, approximately 6-10°C, the GoM over estimates massively, and says I have 30% more range than I am actually able to manage on my 40 mile commute.

In warmer weather, approximately 20°C, it under estimates my range by about 10%, and this evening I drove 20 miles before the GoM even changed.

I've had the Mach-E for over 2 years, and I know actual the range achievable in all weather. If I were a new owner, and I believed what it now tells me, I would end up stuck at the side of the road!
One of the reasons I have been saying that the GOM should be off by default and in a smaller font when turned on. Make the fuel gauge bigger, Ford! 😕🐩

OP
OP
bbachrac

bbachrac

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NA
Country flag
So when you say highway, what speed is that exactly? 60? 70? 80?
In our area, the maximum highway speed limit is 65 and some areas are 55. Local roads are typically 25-45. For example the Dumbarton Bridge has a speed limit of 55. California Rte 92 from US280 to Half Moon Bay is typically 45 mph

OP
OP
bbachrac

bbachrac

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NA
Country flag
You left “I ignore the GOM and rely on the fuel gauge” option. 🤷‍♂️🐩
By Fuel Gauge I guess you meant the SOC reading. Perhaps we can call it an "Energy Gauge"?
From Google dictionary "Fuel means material such as coal, gas, or oil that is burned to produce heat or power." Or perhaps yours was just a joke? 😊

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
By Fuel Gauge I guess you meant the SOC reading. Perhaps we can call it an "Energy Gauge"?
From Google dictionary "Fuel means material such as coal, gas, or oil that is burned to produce heat or power." Or perhaps yours was just a joke? 😊
Nope. I am old and I am sticking to that terminology. It does the same job as the fuel gauge in an ICE vehicle. It tells us the level of the substance that converts to motive power, whether it is liquid, gas, or electrical. 🤪🐩

rainystateguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E awd x GT
Occupation
retired
"In any case, my main objective is not be able to make it to a charger...."

That should be easy to do. :)
Sponsored