Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-e that I will be mounting on an outside wall of my house (no garage or car port). I do plan to build a little roof/awning over it to keep off the worst of the snow. Mainly to reduce how much I need to clean to get to the cord in the winter.
Curious, why the Grizzl-e? Seems like I'm seeing a few pics of that one. Based on the advertisements on this website or research? I did the JuiceBox based on the review by Moloughney's from Insideevs.com. Just curious thanks
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-E as it has a longer cable and can reach around the car if the wife chooses not to back in.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Curious, why the Grizzl-e? Seems like I'm seeing a few pics of that one. Based on the advertisements on this website or research? I did the JuiceBox based on the review by Moloughney's from Insideevs.com. Just curious thanks
Honestly - it came down to price. I know we aren't keeping it long term so features didn't really matter me to other than "it works". The Grizzl-e was ~$200 cheaper than Juicebox for the same rating.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One without underground lines, foundations and structure.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport IMG_2982

I just wanted to be extreme ;) . I like that is is dumb less to go wrong and less on the brain.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Grizzl-E is designed and tested in Canada for extreme weather durability. They are designed to mount outside in unprotected environments.

Mine is on a wall that has gotten soaked every winter for 2 years. It still works great. My house was struck by lightening over a year ago and the Grizzl-E disconnected from my Bolt because the GFCI and over current circuit in it triggered.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Here is my setup. I did the work myself, with the wires inside the post (in 3/4 Sealtite) as well. I also did the install 4 months before the car (estimated build 11/01) because I didn’t want to be digging a trench in NY winter.

I thought about adding the 14-50 outdoor outlet as well, but couldn’t figure out a good way to install an isolation switch so a person couldn’t overload the 60amp breaker by plugging in anything while charging the car at 48amps. Hardwired, the ESVE should be the only appliance on that circuit and I wasn’t pulling more wires for a separate circuit in the 3/4 with the 4/2.

Plus, I have the luxury of 2 welding outlets in my garage I can convert if I have to use the mobile charger.

9AE26FF2-CD61-4DA1-A698-86C0FC28437D.jpeg

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Here is my setup. I did the work myself, with the wires inside the post (in 3/4 Sealtite) as well. I also did the install 4 months before the car (estimated build 11/01) because I didn’t want to be digging a trench in NY winter.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport 9AE26FF2-CD61-4DA1-A698-86C0FC28437D
Very clean install!

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

I thought about adding the 14-50 outdoor outlet as well, but couldn’t figure out a good way to install an isolation switch so a person couldn’t overload the 60amp breaker by plugging in anything while charging the car at 48amps. Hardwired, the ESVE should be the only appliance on that circuit and I wasn’t pulling more wires for a separate circuit in the 3/4 with the 4/2.

Plus, I have the luxury of 2 welding outlets in my garage I can convert if I have to use the mobile charger.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport 9AE26FF2-CD61-4DA1-A698-86C0FC28437D
Your charger is ok, but that sweet '66 Stang in the profile pic is the real Beaut!!!

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Pole mounted as well. Saved a bundle digging the trench and setting poles myself (quick dry cement and a level)
Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport IMG_3503
Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport IMG_3505
. Adding a 110 is a great decision while you are at it. Grizzl-e are weatherproof but if there is a significant chance of rain, I'll cover with a jumbo plastic storage bag (like you would use for clothes/blankets). Also you can turn the power off/on at the breaker panel so it's not live all the time. I'll be considering a more permanent cover, like the examples above. Got the 24 ft regular cable and key lock and a refurb Classic unit. Cost was $412 total.

annamae britany

First Name
Britany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porche
Occupation
music
Country flag
You can install it without a garage or carport, but you have to think about how efficient it is and whether it's worth it. When I bought my electric car, I didn't know if it would be worth it. However, if the EVSE is constantly outside in the snow, rain and heat, it won't work either. So I ordered a car awning from https://carportaustralia.com.au/cantilever-carport/, and I can tell you that after two years of use, it's worth it. You will spend more money, but you will be assured that your car and EVSE will always be safe.
Sponsored

Last edited: