OP
pb3

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX, Toyota 4Runner, MME Premium AWD ER (order accepted!)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did you change from White to Blue in November? Might be why.
I did change the color. That was in addition to making the earlier change from RWD to AWD when Ford dropped the prices. However, the dealer assured me that this wouldn’t affect my place in the queue.
Sponsored

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I did change the color. That was in addition to making the earlier change from RWD to AWD when Ford dropped the prices. However, the dealer assured me that this wouldn’t affect my place in the queue.
To be fair, dealers know almost nothing about how cars are scheduled and built. Changing color and drive train probably moved you to a completely different order, probably a different VIN as well.

• Sad
Reactions: pb3

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If this was true, more than a few of Mach drop switchers would have had their original orders cancelled. Based on the comments on this forum, only a couple did. My dealer had said in writing that my original order is now his stock item. Why would he do that?
Mach drop was a bit ... off (being polite). Those who snagged one of the FE's through that program were often told not to cancel their existing order until they had confirmation. Unfortunately, some of the confirmations were past the time when the preexisting orders were scheduled. And there are a few dealers that aren't playing by exactly the proper rules I'm sure.

Disclaimer: This is just what I've gathered from reading here. I do not have any insider connections as far as I know.

OP
OP
pb3

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Changing color and drive train probably moved you to a completely different order, probably a different VIN as well.
Except that my order number has stayed the same since 6/24 despite my two changes. However the changes could have messed up my place in line (despite my reservation number).

Am I wrong in thinking that VINs don’t get assigned until production?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Am I wrong in thinking that VINs don’t get assigned until production?
yes - many of us including me have VINs when our cars haven't been produced yet (mine is two weeks away from production for example); once the process is far enough the VIN will be allocated. Your dealer can in theory give it to you when it's far enough along.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I got my vin october 26th, and my build date is december 17th. I'm pretty sure you get a VIN as soon as your order is scheduled, which for me occurred back in october.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Mach drop was a bit ... off (being polite). Those who snagged one of the FE's through that program were often told not to cancel their existing order until they had confirmation. Unfortunately, some of the confirmations were past the time when the preexisting orders were scheduled. And there are a few dealers that aren't playing by exactly the proper rules I'm sure.
My Mach drop was confirmed on 10/5, about 6 weeks before my premium order was scheduled. Pretty sure all Mach drops were in place at that time, and not aware of anyone that got scheduled before that time. I explicitly asked my dealer's GM in August what would happen to my $500 deposit. His answer was that it would be transferred to the Mach drop order and my original order would become his stock. If your (not necessarily you specifically) only communication is with one of the salesmen or anyone else at the dealership who knows nothing and isn't a decision maker, that's on you. Most salesmen will only tell the truth only if they can't come up with a good lie.

As far as "rule" following, how do we even know if that rule exists or if it does, what is the downside for the dealer who breaks it?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I got my vin october 26th, and my build date is december 17th. I'm pretty sure you get a VIN as soon as your order is scheduled, which for me occurred back in october.
That’s correct. VIN is assigned at scheduling.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My Mach drop was confirmed on 10/5, about 6 weeks before my premium order was scheduled. Pretty sure all Mach drops were in place at that time, and not aware of anyone that got scheduled before that time. I explicitly asked my dealer's GM in August what would happen to my $500 deposit. His answer was that it would be transferred to the Mach drop order and my original order would become his stock. If your (not necessarily you specifically) only communication is with one of the salesmen or anyone else at the dealership who knows nothing and isn't a decision maker, that's on you. Most salesmen will only tell the truth only if they can't come up with a good lie.

As far as "rule" following, how do we even know if that rule exists or if it does, what is the downside for the dealer who breaks it?
There are more than a few posts on other threads about people who did not receive confirmation until very very late. The Mach Drop was not well executed.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought that it sniffed funny. Reservation was 1/8/2020 and order conversion was 6/24/2020. I know I'm not at the head of the queue, but others with later dates/higher reservations are getting scheduled. March '21 production date makes no sense.
I live in Canada reservation and order dates similar has yours, which places us roughly in the middle of the pack after taking out the 30% GT reservatrion/order, Premium SR AWD and no build date yet so it has nothing to do with the battery size, and yes it's a mystery to me to that customers that reserved/ordered later then us wether they are in the US, Canada or even UK/EU already have a build date and VIN #. The only thing we can do is be patient has we can't do anything to change that. Yes I would like Ford or my dealer to communicate to me the good news regarding a built date but I still expect a delivery in March or April which was my evaluation since the beginning.;)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To be fair, dealers know almost nothing about how cars are scheduled and built. Changing color and drive train probably moved you to a completely different order, probably a different VIN as well.
But in many places on this forum is it stated that you can make changes without loosing your place in that virtual line untill the car is schedule for production.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
There are more than a few posts on other threads about people who did not receive confirmation until very very late. The Mach Drop was not well executed.
  • On 8/25 after after talking to Ford marketing and my dealer's GM I received a hand filled out form confirming my change
  • On 8/27 I asked whether my order would change in the Ford site, he responded by contacting Ford and forwarded their response:
His reservation will not change, the First Edition order is a separate entity.
Ford will place the First Edition order by the end of September.
  • On 10/6 I contacted the dealer for confirmation and received it within 10 minutes
Total time spent by me was about an hour. I wasn't a pest, and I didn't talk to people who know nothing and just make stuff up.

Please also notice that Ford was fully aware of the change and did not cancel my original order. It is still in place and still moving forward. Too me this implies that the mythical rule about needing to cancel the original order as part to change Mach drop is essentially made up with no basis in facts.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
@pb3 for comparison, I placed an order via Ford.com on Aug 1 for an AWD ER Premium, and it has a scheduled build date of Jan 18. I had no reservation. I was honestly expecting to be much much later in the queue — I was thinking July/Aug. Jan was a shock.

OP
OP
pb3

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@pb3 for comparison, I placed an order via Ford.com on Aug 1 for an AWD ER Premium, and it has a scheduled build date of Jan 18. I had no reservation. I was honestly expecting to be much much later in the queue — I was thinking July/Aug. Jan was a shock.
Well, I'm happy that someone's happy! ?