dtotten

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many
Country flag
Has anyone recently experienced a recent change in the range for the extended range? I was averaging about 320 when fully charged and now when I try to fully charge it is listing it at 250. We had a storm which caused them to replace the SOBDM and right after that my range reflects the NON extended range model. Could this SOBDM (secondary on board diagnostic control module) be for the wrong model and lower my expected range?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Has anyone recently experienced a recent change in the range for the extended range? I was averaging about 320 when fully charged and now when I try to fully charge it is listing it at 250. We had a storm which caused them to replace the SOBDM and right after that my range reflects the NON extended range model. Could this SOBDM (secondary on board diagnostic control module) be for the wrong model and lower my expected range?
Nope. They just reset your driving history.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/wrong-battery-pack.6102/

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Was your Mach E zapped while charging?
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/risks-when-charging-during-a-lightning-storm.5739/

OP
OP
dtotten

dtotten

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many
Country flag

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I have a hard time believing resetting my driving history would start is below the original target. When I first got the car before driving anywhere it was nearly 300.
You can believe whatever you like, but, you will likely see the expected range climb back up as you drive more miles.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Could this SOBDM (secondary on board diagnostic control module) be for the wrong model and lower my expected range?
No, the charger won't affect the capacity of the battery. Model won't make a difference (I don't think there are separate models).

Yes - The car was on the charger when the power took a hard hit.
Was anything else in your house damaged? Direct hit?

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
When I first got my car the range was 230, then 260 now it’s 285. Im sure it was reset and just have to wait.

OP
OP
dtotten

dtotten

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many
Country flag
No, the charger won't affect the capacity of the battery. Model won't make a difference (I don't think there are separate models).

Was anything else in your house damaged? Direct hit?
No direct hit but we did go into a brown out like condition. My charger is on its own meter so I turned it off during the brown out until full power was returned.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Same thing happened on my SR MME which is 211 miles. When I first bought the car, I reset the EV history when poking around the car. My range display went to 195 miles. Over the course of around 2000 miles, it crept up to 230. A few weeks ago, I disconnected the car's 12V battery trying to reset the audio system. It once again brought my range display back to 195 miles. After driving it a while it's now back to 230. It went back up a bit each time I charged the car. In addition to the range display, it also reset my trip 1 & 2 meters when I disconnected the 12V. Everything else such as radio and seat position presets remained. Seems a bit odd that it erases the trip meters and range display but nothing else when it loses power. I'm guessing they disconnected the 12V while replacing that module.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have a hard time believing resetting my driving history would start is below the original target. When I first got the car before driving anywhere it was nearly 300.
Please read those other threads. The range displayed in the driver's display is an ESTIMATE based on a flawed and overly conservative algorithm. It is absolutely irrelevant with respect to how for your car can actually go in a particular circumstance. The "miles/kwh" is a far better metric, because that is based on how much you've used to go an actual distance. The mi/kwh display is a little too imprecise itself, but you can certainly do the math yourself to compute "true" range in a particular circumstance: track the percentage battery you've used to go a certain distance and divide the distance by the percentage you've used. For example, I used 62% of my battery to drive about 190 miles on saturday. Dividing 190 by .62 gives a projected range of 306 miles in my CA route 1 (ER RWD). I could also compute the miles/kwh by taking .62 and multiplying by 88 (size of ER battery) to get 54.5 kwh used. The mi/kwh for my trip up the NJ turnpike to Yankee stadium and back came out to 3.5 mi/kwh.

For the record, I've seen mine project between 200 and 370 miles.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Same thing happened on my SR MME which is 211 miles. When I first bought the car, I reset the EV history when poking around the car. My range display went to 195 miles. Over the course of around 2000 miles, it crept up to 230. A few weeks ago, I disconnected the car's 12V battery trying to reset the audio system. It once again brought my range display back to 195 miles. After driving it a while it's now back to 230.
It's almost like the car is GUESSING how you drive, where you drive, how hot/cold it is, etc - and thus how far you can go on a full battery :)

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Please read those other threads. The range displayed in the driver's display is an ESTIMATE based on a flawed and overly conservative algorithm. It is absolutely irrelevant with respect to how for your car can actually go in a particular circumstance. The "miles/kwh" is a far better metric, because that is based on how much you've used to go an actual distance. The mi/kwh display is a little too imprecise itself, but you can certainly do the math yourself to compute "true" range in a particular circumstance: track the percentage battery you've used to go a certain distance and divide the distance by the percentage you've used. For example, I used 62% of my battery to drive about 190 miles on saturday. Dividing 190 by .62 gives a projected range of 306 miles in my CA route 1 (ER RWD). I could also compute the miles/kwh by taking .62 and multiplying by 88 (size of ER battery) to get 54.5 kwh used. The mi/kwh for my trip up the NJ turnpike to Yankee stadium and back came out to 3.5 mi/kwh.

For the record, I've seen mine project between 200 and 370 miles.
I am *constantly* doing that. It's a sickness. I need help, lol.

Before my trip 2 got reset when I disconnected the 12V, at 4000 miles I was at 3.7MPK. In the past 1000 miles it's at 3.9MPK. My GOM is still shorting me at least 20 miles :p

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am *constantly* doing that. It's a sickness. I need help, lol.

Before my trip 2 got reset when I disconnected the 12V, at 4000 miles I was at 3.7MPK. In the past 1000 miles it's at 3.9MPK. My GOM is still shorting me at least 20 miles :p
Aha! So we can agree the Guess-o-meter is full of sh!t! I really don't look at mine because I know better than to worry about what it says.

I really hope that is one of the things they fix in the next update; threads from new owners who only look at the estimated range/Guess-o-meter are really getting out of hand.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Aha! So we can agree the Guess-o-meter is full of sh!t! I really don't look at mine because I know better than to worry about what it says.

I really hope that is one of the things they fix in the next update; threads from new owners who only look at the estimated range/Guess-o-meter are really getting out of hand.
I don't understand, what is the problem with being a little conservative? It seems to get fairly accurate as you drive. Is your complaint that it is so low when it does not have any driving history to feed it?

My range changes from about 280 to 320. (I have premium, RWD extended range.) it is totally related to my Phoenix A/C usage.
Sponsored