Fast Charger Pre-Conditioning not recommended?

aporzio1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT
Country flag
I asked the "EV Experts" if I route to a fast charger via CarPlay will the car pre-condition the battery now that the distance to the destination shows in the instrument panel. This was their response.

Thoughts?

I understand that you are now available to see the distance to a Fast Charger on your instrument panel when using CarPlay navigation, CarPlay will not trigger the battery preconditioning, as it is not currently recommended to precondition at fast charging stations at this time. Although some public chargers do offer faster charging speeds, preconditioning your vehicle will not affect the rate that your vehicle will receive a charge.
PS. Not concerned with the no it doesn't, it's what I expected. But I was surprised to see them not recommending pre-conditioning
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I asked the "EV Experts" if I route to a fast charger via CarPlay will the car pre-condition the battery now that the distance to the destination shows in the instrument panel.
Who are these "EV Experts" that you posed the question to?

(They are incorrect about preconditioning not being recommended)

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
I asked the "EV Experts" if I route to a fast charger via CarPlay will the car pre-condition the battery now that the distance to the destination shows in the instrument panel. This was their response.

Thoughts?

PS. Not concerned with the no it doesn't, it's what I expected. But I was surprised to see them not recommending pre-conditioning
well you already know the answer, that they are very wrong, that’s why you posted it here, just to confirm your suspicions.

OP
OP

aporzio1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT
Country flag

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
That reads like it's from a fake intelligence chat bot that's just pulling garbage in from unreliable sources and spreading more garbage.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
That reads like it's from a fake intelligence chat bot that's just pulling garbage in from unreliable sources and spreading more garbage.
that AI agent needs more training and no longer by reading Facebook!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Although some public chargers do offer faster charging speeds, preconditioning your vehicle will not affect the rate that your vehicle will receive a charge.
That is false info, the battery temperature has a huge effect on the initial charging speed. It does make a difference. And it's better for the battery to be warm too. Everyone should try to use it.

And if you didn't figure it out, CarPlay and Public Charging app can't precondition the battery, you have to select the charger in the navigation app so it works.

Last edited:

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
I haven't charged publicly in the winter. How do you know that your battery is preconditioning? You just assume it is if you navigate to the charger?
Last summer I charged a couple times at a free DCFC that wasn't listed on the Ford Map. I just connected it and it charged. How would you precondition in that situation?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I haven't charged publicly in the winter. How do you know that your battery is preconditioning? You just assume it is if you navigate to the charger?
Last summer I charged a couple times at a free DCFC that wasn't listed on the Ford Map. I just connected it and it charged. How would you precondition in that situation?
OBD adapter and CarScanner app.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So you can activate preconditioning for a dcfc that is not on the Ford map using the carscanner app?
No. That is how you know that it is preconditioning, you see the heater running and battery temp increasing.
Sponsored