Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone attempted to install a shield on the glass roof to block the sun? I will have to do that because my wife hates to have the sun shining on her. Otherwise, no wife in the car on sunny days.
Heatshield is supposed to be designing a sun shield. My guess is that it will use suction cups

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
:)
I am going to do some testing today with my thermal conductor meter. I want to see what the real glass temps are compared to my Focus Electric. Should be interesting to see if the thermal coating in the Mach-E is effective.
The glass roof is really good in absorbing the sunlight, which I suppose is the reason it gets very hot, you can cook eggs on it. The hot glass irradiates IR into the cabin, but not in the same way as a direct sunlight.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Every day I learn something new. Never read any car manuals before, but this time I might (after finishing with taxes).
The idea of getting a new car without reading the owners manual cover to cover before delivery is completely foreign to me.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Every day I learn something new. Never read any car manuals before, but this time I might (after finishing with taxes).
BEV's are not really "normal cars", they have become motorized software platforms. While the Mach E is better than some at keeping traditional/familiar controls, there are so many capabilities that you should take the time to at least peruse the manual to know what they are. Lots of complaints here can be remedied by RTFM

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
While I am aware that Ford has special coatings on the roof and windshield, I still went ahead and had every piece of glass covered on the inside with ceramic tint for 99% UV, 80% IR light blockage. I certainly don't live in the hottest region but our summers generally have temps that average 95˚ and it is not uncommon to have several weeks at a time around 105˚.

That said, these last few days that have been in the 80's (unseasonably warm) and leaving the car parked in the sun while shopping for 60 minutes or so, I was surprised that the interior was not as hot as I had expected especially with an all glass roof. Most likely because of the combination of Ford's coatings and the ceramic tint. I also found the A/C to be more than adequate for cooling down the car but then I normally open the windows for 20 seconds or so to let the warm air out first. The air blowing out of the registers felt just as cold as my other cars/trucks and the fan is the strongest I have ever had in any of my vehicles.

I would think that Ford has designed this system properly beings it not only has a glass roof but hopefully having an efficient A/C system that does not suck up too much of the battery.
Never thought about ceramic tinting- who does that and what they charge for it ?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Never thought about ceramic tinting- who does that and what they charge for it ?
It is just the type of window tinting. Instead of regular tint material, you can get ceramic tint which greatly reduces UV and IR over standard tinting. You can get it from just about any company that installs window tinting. Most all manufactures offer a ceramic tint as an option. It comes in all different shades. I put 70% on the windshield and glass roof, 50% on the front side windows and 25% on the rear side windows and hatch window. The installer I used uses SolarGard but many companies offer it. Two drawbacks, 1. It has a slight hazy look to it when looking out the window. Many people do not like this so that is something you have to check out. 2. It is about twice as expensive as regular window tint.

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
It is just the type of window tinting. Instead of regular tint material, you can get ceramic tint which greatly reduces UV and IR over standard tinting. You can get it from just about any company that installs window tinting. Most all manufactures offer a ceramic tint as an option. It comes in all different shades. I put 70% on the windshield and glass roof, 50% on the front side windows and 25% on the rear side windows and hatch window. The installer I used uses SolarGard but many companies offer it. Two drawbacks, 1. It has a slight hazy look to it when looking out the window. Many people do not like this so that is something you have to check out. 2. It is about twice as expensive as regular window tint.
Thanks for insight

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FYI Ford already puts UV and IR coating on the glass roof

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I stated that in my earlier post but I figured since I don’t know the amount of rejection/blockage they use, at least I know what I have now in applying my own.

poweryogagirl

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Edition
Country flag
On the smell note, it might be worth upgrading the stock filter. The filter it came with was so cheap, I already upgraded to an odor filter.
[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the upgraded filter?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This is a car, not the Parker Solar Probe ?
Sponsored