Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The Infrastructure Bill Will Make U.S. Headlights Way Better (jalopnik.com)

U.S. vehicle lighting standards suck. That’s not my opinion; that’s the opinion of our own Jason Torchinsky, who’s been beating this drum since long before I was born and will continue to long after I’m gone. Because he will outlive me, as soon as he finds a way to immortalize himself as an amber rear turn indicator. I assume he’s close — it’s been his life’s work.

Anyway! I have good news for you Jason, and anyone else who cares about the sorry state of exterior lighting on cars sold in these 50 states: it’s about to get better. No, really. Because Section 24212 of H.R. 3684 — known to you and I as The Infrastructure Bill — passed on Monday, makes provisions for “adaptive driving beam headlamps.” Caught by The Drive, and visible in the plain text version of the document, it reads as follows:

SEC. 24212. HEADLAMPS.
(a) Definitions. — In this section:
(1) Adaptive driving beam headlamp. — The term “adaptive driving beam headlamp’’ means a headlamp (as defined in Standard 108) that meets the performance requirements specified in SAE International Standard J3069, published on June 30, 2016.
(2) Standard 108. — The term “Standard 108'’ means Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 108, contained in section 571.108 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (as in effect on the date of enactment of this Act).

(b) Rulemaking. — Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule amending Standard 108 —
(1) to include performance-based standards for vehicle headlamp systems —
(A) to ensure that headlights are correctly aimed on the road; and
(B) requiring those systems to be tested on-vehicle to account for headlight height and lighting performance; and
(2) to allow for the use on vehicles of adaptive driving beam headlamp systems.

(more at source)

Maybe we will see them quickly on US Mach-Es.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Considering they have 2 years to make a rule, it probably won’t be super quick. But it’s heading in the right direction.
Heading in the right direction, like the light from the new headlights.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Infrastructure Bill Will Make U.S. Headlights Way Better (jalopnik.com)

U.S. vehicle lighting standards suck. That’s not my opinion; that’s the opinion of our own Jason Torchinsky, who’s been beating this drum since long before I was born and will continue to long after I’m gone. Because he will outlive me, as soon as he finds a way to immortalize himself as an amber rear turn indicator. I assume he’s close — it’s been his life’s work.

Anyway! I have good news for you Jason, and anyone else who cares about the sorry state of exterior lighting on cars sold in these 50 states: it’s about to get better. No, really. Because Section 24212 of H.R. 3684 — known to you and I as The Infrastructure Bill — passed on Monday, makes provisions for “adaptive driving beam headlamps.” Caught by The Drive, and visible in the plain text version of the document, it reads as follows:

(more at source)

Maybe we will see them quickly on US Mach-Es.
Awesome news. Can we retrofit the EU headlights into ours?

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
What does this, uh, mean?
It means headlights that can steer AND create dips in the highbeam so you don't have to turn off the highbeams for oncoming traffic. The headlights will steer around the incoming and/or same path cars.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
It means headlights that can steer AND create dips in the highbeam so you don't have to turn off the highbeams for oncoming traffic. The headlights will steer around the incoming and/or same path cars.
Mine on the GT already seem do do that. Well they don't steer, but they do change back and forth from high beam to regular when traffic is oncoming. Maybe a fluke? My First Edition didn't do that at all.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Auto high beams is different. Adaptive highbeams literally steer the high beam around cars. It's really impressive to see. EU has had it for a long time; but the USA is slow to change.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Mine on the GT already seem do do that. Well they don't steer, but they do change back and forth from high beam to regular when traffic is oncoming. Maybe a fluke? My First Edition didn't do that at all.
Every Mach-E has an auto high beam option, but the driver can enable or disable it using a double pull of the headlight stalk.

What @ZuleMME described is different and may soon finally be allowed in the U.S.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Here, it has nothing to do with Ford; but this is the best intro video to the tech I've ever seen:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That’s exactly how my First Edition headlights work all the time. Maybe you had the automatic headlights turned off?