First 24 hours, charging and driving. Am I doing this right?

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
So far, we took it last night to find a public L2 charger and see how the experience would be. It was at 59 percent and I didn’t realize you had to set a limit to where it charges to. So while at dinner it charged to 91 percent. I know you’re not supposed to charge it to 100, but understand 90 is ok?

3.1-3.2kw/hr is that good? Is that bad? Is that what I should be shooting for? I drove within the speed limit (65 and I drove 70), never more than 5mph over. Tried to be easy on starts and stops.

F10C53A7-EA9B-4BCD-81B0-3A6CAAAA2198.jpeg

5F3A97CF-4FC2-4A30-9E36-F0848F9FB2A4.jpeg

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
3.1 is around average. Anything 4+ is excellent. In winter you'll likely see 2.+

Don't be too concerned about charging to 100% the car has a large buffer. The advice for charging to 90% is the daily charge. An occasional (even first) charge to 100% won't hurt it at all.

Now I wouldn't let a DCFC go to 100% but not because of battery issues: Simply because above about 80% its as slow or slower than a Level-2 and you want to vacate the charger for someone else to use. If there is a Level-2 nearby the DCFC 80% is the time you'd move it to the Level-2 if you want to charge to 100% (that last 20% will take the same amount of time on the DCFC as it would on the Level-2).

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
So far, we took it last night to find a public L2 charger and see how the experience would be. It was at 59 percent and I didn’t realize you had to set a limit to where it charges to. So while at dinner it charged to 91 percent. I know you’re not supposed to charge it to 100, but understand 90 is ok?

3.1-3.2kw/hr is that good? Is that bad? Is that what I should be shooting for? I drove within the speed limit (65 and I drove 70), never more than 5mph over. Tried to be easy on starts and stops.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First 24 hours, charging and driving. Am I doing this right? 5F3A97CF-4FC2-4A30-9E36-F0848F9FB2A4

Ford Mustang Mach-E First 24 hours, charging and driving. Am I doing this right? 5F3A97CF-4FC2-4A30-9E36-F0848F9FB2A4
Wow. It is more expensive then gasoline

OP
OP
jdunc87

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
Wow. It is more expensive then gasoline
I was confused as to why it was so much. I’ve seen others post cheaper numbers.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
2.1 kw for 1$ wtf that seems super expensive. At that cost I'd be better off sticking with ice being your pain 20-30 grand extra to get EV vehicle versus ice vehicle of the same size

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Bloody hell ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E First 24 hours, charging and driving. Am I doing this right? ChargingPrices.PNG

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Yep, don't charge above 80% at the pay to charge places as charge time increases and most of the places still charge per minute and not per kw. 3.1 is average for driving at mix highway/city in my experience. I did charge my car at home to 100% the first few charges and then to 90% after that daily. I only charge to 100% if I'm going on the road

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Here's my observations:

I didn't realize that EA had level 2 chargers, I thought they were all DC fast chargers. Did that not have L3 chargers there?

This is a great example of why new EV owners need to read the rules and rates for each charging network, and the signs at each charging location. Paying the same price for L2 charging as L3 charging is crazy. In O_io, EA charges by the kWh. In many states, they charge by the minute. Then a slower charging rate wouldn't matter.

OP, why weren't you using Ford's Plug and Charge network, which gives you 250 free kWh?

You asked if 3.1-3.2kw/hr is good. Note that you have the terminology wrong. It's MILES per kWh. How many miles you get for each KWh you put in the vehicle.

You just charged and paid for 31kWh, $14.33. That's 46.2 cents per kWh. Keep in mind that some percentage of that is lost going through the wires to the vehicle's battery. Let's call that 7%. So you put more like 29 kWh into the car. So that's 49.4 cents per kWh. If you do the math with that number, your 3.1 miles per kWh turns into (49.4/3.1) 15.9 cents per mile driven.

Let's assume I have a car that gets 35 mpg, and I pay $3.25 for a gallon of gas. That's ($3.25/35) 9.3 cents per mile, as compared to your 15.9 cents per mile driven.

If you charged at home, you'd likely pay closer to 12 to 15 cents per kWh, and your per mile cost would be closer to 3.6 - 4.5 cents per mile.

3.1 - 3.2 for driving at the speed you did is right on.

OP
OP
jdunc87

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
Here's my observations:

I didn't realize that EA had level 2 chargers, I thought they were all DC fast chargers. Did that not have L3 chargers there?

This is a great example of why new EV owners need to read the rules and rates for each charging network, and the signs at each charging location. Paying the same price for L2 charging as L3 charging is crazy. In O_io, EA charges by the kWh. In many states, they charge by the minute. Then a slower charging rate wouldn't matter.

OP, why weren't you using Ford's Plug and Charge network, which gives you 250 free kWh?

You asked if 3.1-3.2kw/hr is good. Note that you have the terminology wrong. It's MILES per kWh. How many miles you get for each KWh you put in the vehicle.

You just charged and paid for 31kWh, $14.33. That's 46.2 cents per kWh. Keep in mind that some percentage of that is lost going through the wires to the vehicle's battery. Let's call that 7%. So you put more like 29 kWh into the car. So that's 49.4 cents per kWh. If you do the math with that number, your 3.1 miles per kWh turns into (49.4/3.1) 15.9 cents per mile driven.

Let's assume I have a car that gets 35 mpg, and I pay $3.25 for a gallon of gas. That's ($3.25/35) 9.3 cents per mile, as compared to your 15.9 cents per mile driven.

If you charged at home, you'd likely pay closer to 12 to 15 cents per kWh, and your per mile cost would be closer to 3.6 - 4.5 cents per mile.

3.1 - 3.2 for driving at the speed you did is right on.
i really appreciate your feedback. This is the kind of info I was looking for!

Still VERY new to this. I spent most of my time tracking and learning the tech. I didn’t get super into the charging side. My ChargePoint is going in on Sunday so 90 percent of my charging will be done at home from then on. We went out and tried this to get my wife familiar with what would happen if she needed to charge somewhere other than home (this is her DD). I wasn’t really sure how to use the ford network as they didn’t really tell us about that at the dealer. You can tell they were still quite new to all of this stuff. I knew more about the car than they did, but I’ve been that way with all my deliveries of new cars.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i really appreciate your feedback. This is the kind of info I was looking for!

Still VERY new to this. I spent most of my time tracking and learning the tech. I didn’t get super into the charging side. My ChargePoint is going in on Sunday so 90 percent of my charging will be done at home from then on. We went out and tried this to get my wife familiar with what would happen if she needed to charge somewhere other than home (this is her DD). I wasn’t really sure how to use the ford network as they didn’t really tell us about that at the dealer. You can tell they were still quite new to all of this stuff. I knew more about the car than they did, but I’ve been that way with all my deliveries of new cars.
There is a thread that tells how to turn on Plug and Charge. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-enable-plug-charge-in-7-steps.3094/

I read a lot in forums. That's where you learn this stuff. And read the manual, in PDF form, cover to cover. Download it from the Ford site.

OP
OP
jdunc87

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Make sure you're using the same credentials to log into the website as you are FordPass.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Sometimes too much information is detrimental to our mental health. Just drive the car and enjoy it.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I had trouble getting Plug and Charge to activate on my Wife’s Ford account. It was stuck in Pending state. Finally got it working after making several calls to the help line!
Sponsored